• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

CGI Photos for New Cars - Really?

I can't think of a better way to make a new car more of a commodity than using a canned image on a VIN page (i.e. VDP). That being said, many dealers take photos of cars like they're cattle. If Pictures tell a thousand words, and we all know pics sell cars, why do we all take pics the same ol way?

Anyone know of a dealer that is breaking the mold and getting creative?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallcool1
I'm currently working on a Rock this QTR to revamp our entire photo process and ran across this gem from COX in 2017's "Power Of Pictures Study". From page 8:

Power_of_pictures_study_2017.png

Which I would agree with
the CGI images are just Stock Photos 2.0.

We currently have only two "photo booths (if you can call them that)" in the groups' three centralized Used recon centers but most pics of New vehicles are still taken at the stores, outside... I'm messing with our Pixel 3a's (which is what we shoot with now using the Snaplot application for Homenet) a Moment lens and circle polarizer to get the desired results. We shall see. Need to map out the sets, document the process (where to stand, etc), and then train about 12 people. Wish me luck.

I am starting a vehicle photo business for dealers as we speak. I have been doing this directly for a Ford dealer for 9 years in MI and have recently moved to southwest FL. It is my oinion that less than 20 pics of new vehicles is fine. New vehicle shoppers have been to the mfg sites and picked what features they are looking for in their new car. They simply are looking to see which local dealer has the vehicle in stock with the right color combination and equipment. What I can't fathom is why dealers will have less than an averageof 30 to 35 pics for their pre-owned vehicles. Used car shoppers don't look at a mfg website to learn about a used car, they look at 3rd party sites. I have posted as many as 62 pics for a single vehicle, granted it was a Limited Edition Expedition EL 4WD. Even a entry level, crank window hand shaker deserves 22 pics and I'm talking about relevent feature based pics not a pic of the gas door, pics of all 4 door cards or the back side of an outside mirror without an indicator. These nationwide providers of photography for dealers have non-car guys or gals taking pics from an approved list and a maximum number of pics per vehicle. That's why you end up with a pic of the backside of the outside mirror insted of Aplle CarPlay or Forward Collision Avoidance or AutoPark or Tailgate Assist or , or , or, etc...

I am starting a vehicle photo business for dealers as we speak. I have been doing this directly for a Ford dealer for 9 years in MI and have recently moved to southwest FL. It is my oinion that less than 20 pics of new vehicles is fine. New vehicle shoppers have been to the mfg sites and picked what features they are looking for in their new car. They simply are looking to see which local dealer has the vehicle in stock with the right color combination and equipment. What I can't fathom is why dealers will have less than an averageof 30 to 35 pics for their pre-owned vehicles. Used car shoppers don't look at a mfg website to learn about a used car, they look at 3rd party sites. I have posted as many as 62 pics for a single vehicle, granted it was a Limited Edition Expedition EL 4WD. Even a entry level, crank window hand shaker deserves 22 pics and I'm talking about relevent feature based pics not a pic of the gas door, pics of all 4 door cards or the back side of an outside mirror without an indicator. These nationwide providers of photography for dealers have non-car guys or gals taking pics from an approved list and a maximum number of pics per vehicle. That's why you end up with a pic of the backside of the outside mirror insted of Aplle CarPlay or Forward Collision Avoidance or AutoPark or Tailgate Assist or , or , or, etc...

It's an interesting business to be in, I ran the National Data Collection department for eBizAutos in the past. Got to see all sorts of the country. In training newbies, definitely a noticeable difference between people who just needed a job, and those who had enthusiasm for automotive in the photos.

Making real pics resemble stock pics by manipulating the background doesn't make sense.

@rickyfay what of the context of the observation I made.

I can't think of a better way to make a new car more of a commodity than using a canned image on a VIN page (i.e. VDP). That being said, many dealers take photos of cars like they're cattle. If Pictures tell a thousand words, and we all know pics sell cars, why do we all take pics the same ol way?

Anyone know of a dealer that is breaking the mold and getting creative?

Our dealer's need help! Is your specialty improving execution, creativity or both?