• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Coronavirus - the Automotive Industry and your Dealership

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
Few industries are as interconnected around the globe as the automotive industry. With growing concerns around this Coronavirus (COVID-19) and products coming from so many impacted areas, what are you predicting?

What precautions should or will your dealership?

Are any of your cars built entirely in China?
How many of your vehicles depend on parts from China?
Do you think customers will avoid cars built in China or ones that have major parts from there?

:dunno:

Any thoughts on how the virus will/is impacting the overall industry and potentially your dealership?
Are you wearing masks to work? :freak:

It looks like 11 people have died from it thus far in the United States.
European infection numbers are not easy to find.
China‘s death toll from this thing will never be known.

How many people died from the flu yesterday?

My wife likes to have Good Morning America on the TV every morning. I believe their reporting is the ultimate “click bait” hype machine. They are all about this headline and scaring the crap out of people...
I’m starting to like these airline ticket prices :oops::rofl:

As long as you're not old or have an auto-immune deficiency, or come into any contact with anyone that fits those two categories, you're fine. (And we all come into contact with people every day unless you're a hermit or have issues that force you to stay at home).

As far as I've heard, that's why companies are/will be/might shut down for awhile - you can be sick for 2 weeks and never know you have it and who knows who you could accidentally spread it to, or even how that person could spread it to someone that could actually prove fatal. I'd rather not accidentally spread something that could kill my neighbor or their grandma.

The last mortality rate I saw for people under 60 was like 1.3%, but it's really dangerous for those older folks.

On the funny, side, Corona's are taking a hit, so it wouldn't surprise me if people shied away from China-built cars :lmao:

Although I’m not afraid of the health part, the stories of 14 days quarantine time is enough to frighten me. 14 days stuck somewhere maybe without Internet would be tough to swallow for the working person.

It is definitely making me think twice about sending any employees on the road right now.

My son’s school is going to be closed a second day for decontamination after one of the teachers was found to have been in the same hotel as contaminated people two weeks ago. The teacher is sick too, but testing hasn’t revealed if it is COVID-19.

They say 80% of the people who get it don't even know they got it. So the mortality rate is likely much lower than initial speculations. Having said that, like Alex, I'm more afraid of the 14 days quarantine time, and being out of commission for that time.

At Autofusion, we implemented a plan to have everyone work remotely, to reschedule in-person meetings to video calls and we started an emergency ticket in our CRM - to be used in case an employee is short on essentials, another employee or the company can provide.

It is definitely making me think twice about sending any employees on the road right now.

There's no reason not to hit the sales goals people.
New Travel Attire @Alex Snyder ! #noexcuses
giphy.gif

Reactions: Dan Jackson
Brian Pasch as this question on FB earlier:

"AUTO DEALERS - What would be your reaction if your OEM decided to cut all national and LMA advertising for the next 30-60 days due to the coronavirus? Would you have a plan in place to pivot your local marketing to fill-in the gaps for brand awareness? I would suggest that you start planning now. This is a likely outcome. Be prepared."

Organizers Announce Rescheduling of 2020 New York International Auto Show

As a result of the ongoing health concerns from the spread of the coronavirus in the region, the New York International Auto Show has been rescheduled to August 28 – September 6, 2020. Press days are August 26 & 27, 2020.

“We are taking this extraordinary step to help protect our attendees, exhibitors and all participants from the coronavirus,” said Mark Schienberg, president of the Greater New York Automobile Dealers Association, the organization that owns and operates the New York Auto Show.

“For 120 years, ‘the show must go on’ has been heavily embedded in our DNA, and while the decision to move the show dates didn’t come easy, our top priority remains with the health and well-being of all those involved in this historic event. We have already been in communication with many of our exhibitors and partners and are confident that the new dates for the 2020 Show will make for another successful event,” Schienberg added.

With more than $330 million in economic benefit attributed to the annual New York International Auto Show, this event has a huge impact on the local and state economies including the thousands of workers who build the Show each year as well as the hospitality and related services industries that depend on it. It also has a direct impact on the hundreds of thousands of consumers who attend the 10-day event and use the Auto Show to make decisions on their next vehicle purchase.

We are pleased with this new solution and would like to thank New York State Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center for accommodating this change of date.

The Show will provide more details in the coming weeks.

As long as you're not old or have an auto-immune deficiency, or come into any contact with anyone that fits those two categories, you're fine. (And we all come into contact with people every day unless you're a hermit or have issues that force you to stay at home).

As far as I've heard, that's why companies are/will be/might shut down for awhile - you can be sick for 2 weeks and never know you have it and who knows who you could accidentally spread it to, or even how that person could spread it to someone that could actually prove fatal. I'd rather not accidentally spread something that could kill my neighbor or their grandma.

The last mortality rate I saw for people under 60 was like 1.3%, but it's really dangerous for those older folks.

On the funny, side, Corona's are taking a hit, so it wouldn't surprise me if people shied away from China-built cars :lmao:

Interestingly, there have been reports recently of seemingly healthy younger adults in their 30s who have gotten severely sick due to COVID-19 Coronavirus. That said, those individuals seem to be the exception to the rule.

Regardless of people's age, it's reasonable to believe that automotive retail dealers will see a decrease in digital marketing results and overall sales because people won't be as willing to go out and physically visit dealerships in person. If I can find data to back this, I'll post it here. As of now, I'm just speculating. As a dealer though, I'd prepare for that possibility - if it's not already occurring.