• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Does Your CRM Have the Right to Hijack Your Data?

derrickwoolfson

4 Pounder
Sep 10, 2014
Awards
First Name
Derrick
There has been a policy change with a CRM we use that now states that if the customer does not have a an active relationship with the dealer it will automatically opt them out. Giving time frames for each instance. While I understand that spamming is never good, and you should scrub your email list removing hard-bounces, inactive, etc. I do not think the CRM has the right to hijack your data defining what constitutes an active relationship.

What are your thoughts? Should your CRM provider dictate how you can use your data?

Reactions: FrigginBandit
In Canada with CASL in place I am grateful for the CRM automatically preventing staff from emailing our guests outside of our allowed communication period (6 months after an inquiry for prospects, 2 years after a business transaction). I've heard the fines are hefty if we don't follow the rules.

If necessary, and applicable,d we can manually confirm that a guest has opted in to email communication with "CASL Express Consent". We are also able to narrow down which type of communication a guest receives - service, prospect, ownership, parts, etc.

I think the one who owns the email servers is the one who dictates how/who/when someone gets emailed. And this is just another reason why I think all US-based CRM systems, that have over 1,000 clients, are doing it wrong.

Each dealer should be responsible for his own 1:1 emails and email blasts should be performed by services that specialize in that field. Too many good dealers are suffering because of a few (few might be a generous word) spammy ones.

I think the one who owns the email servers is the one who dictates how/who/when someone gets emailed. And this is just another reason why I think all US-based CRM systems, that have over 1,000 clients, are doing it wrong.

Each dealer should be responsible for his own 1:1 emails and email blasts should be performed by services that specialize in that field. Too many good dealers are suffering because of a few (few might be a generous word) spammy ones.

I have to disagree. I will however offer that the dealer should be held liable if in fact there were spam issues, or black/white listing. Other than that the CRM/DMS provider should not have the *right* to dictate what they offer to be a "relationship" regarding who they believe you should be emailing.

Does the CRM know if the customer bought parts at the dealership? Or if the customer stopped-in for their promised free carwash? These are transactions that can constitute an established business relationship with the dealership.

I'll submit that CRM is not fully equipped to understand the extent of the relationship with the dealership.

I have to disagree.

Let's try saying it this way then: you have a contract with that provider that grants you use of their system in return for timely payments of an agreed-upon amount. You're essentially renting their system. If you own the technology, then you get to set all the rules of how things happen within that technology.

Of course, any technology solution provider is going to want to continue receiving your timely payment. At the same time risks need be weighed and sometimes their exposure may lead them to make decisions you don't like. So, use the free market and vote with your $$$.

Do you mind saying which CRM system this is? Maybe they'll join this conversation to explain their decision.

For reference, here is an example of a potential pre-determined set of criteria a CRM provider could put into place, restricting a subset of customers and active/inactive leads from being marketed to via email..

The following list optimizations have been performed:

1. Filtered customers who have opted out of receiving this type of email.
  2. Filtered customers who have been marketed to within the exclusion period.
  3. Filtered customers who are beyond allowed marketing windows.
The end of the marketing eligibility window is based on the last date from the list below:
  • 13 months from the last payment date. (Finance, Lease, or Balloon.)
  • 25 months from the date of sale. (Cash deals.)
  • 25 months from the date of service repair order.
  • 13 months from the last showroom visit.
  • 90 days from the last prospect opportunity.
  • 90 days from the last email interaction. (Open, Reply, Click.)

Reactions: Chris Vitale
When you say “hijack” do you mean it’s still there and they’re just opted out or you mean it’s locked or removed altogether? What’s their basis for this? Is it based on the spam laws or the telemarketing laws or did they arbitrarily just say “this is how it’s going to be now” and it’s based on “their” logic?

There has been a policy change with a CRM we use that now states that if the customer does not have a an active relationship with the dealer it will automatically opt them out. Giving time frames for each instance. While I understand that spamming is never good, and you should scrub your email list removing hard-bounces, inactive, etc. I do not think the CRM has the right to hijack your data defining what constitutes an active relationship.

What are your thoughts? Should your CRM provider dictate how you can use your data?

Reactions: FrigginBandit

I didn't vote because "it depends" is my answer and that's solely based on the assumption (ass - u - me) that it's not literally hijacked, just locked until a pronounced and valid action allows it to be visible again. This has been going on since AutoBase started it 12 years ago, that I recall, and they'd put "######" over the phone number for a client that you've not had any contact with. The number was there, but due to the law you couldn't call without, say, a showroom visit or they called you. Then, if you had that valid interaction, the number would open again and you'd see it but the clock would reset.

Are they basing this on the law or did they just arbitrarily make this up? Arbitrarily made up wouldn't surprise me as so many CRM's out there have no credible retail successes on staff and oftentimes their only interaction is through "advisory boards" and those are mostly made up of the store staff that don't actually work in the CRM and are only interested in free dinners from the vendors.

Which CRM is it?