1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Email losers

Discussion in 'CRM, ILM, Chat, Desking, Emails, Phone, SMS' started by Alex Snyder, Jan 26, 2018.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. Alexander Lau

Alexander Lau
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Alex
    Added to our taxonomy. :-)

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. Ben_Adler12

Ben_Adler12
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Ben
  4. Alexander Lau

Alexander Lau
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Alex
    Apparently, Return Path specializes in telling you about your IP, which if you use a 3rd party is not really your problem. They don't (or at least they haven't in the past) show you if your SPF / DKIM / MX for a particular combo of sending domain and sending host is all good. Since most of us don't run hosts that send out millions of emails, there's little reason IMHO to be doing your own SMTP these days, it's just asking for deliverability issues if you don't watch it like a hawk.

5. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder
    Expand Collapse
    President Skroob

First Name:
    Alex
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    axsnyder
    For the record, I just want to say that I've missed you brother! Can't tell you how excited I am to reconnect with DealerRefresh now that I ain't obligated to support an employer.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BrianJ

BrianJ
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    Brian
    Dealer or Company Name:
    ELEAD 1
    Twitter Handle:
    jbrianj
    Ryan, you are spot on here. We've been fighting this battle for the dealerships and I can confirm that Inbox placement is far more complex than blacklists. When you look at the major Email Service Providers, (ESPs) you will find that they are leaning less on Blacklists and more on user behavior and content analytics.

How many of you rolled over this morning, picked up your phone and swiped promotional email from a Home Improvement, Electronics, Clothing or other retail organization into your deleted items? That behavior is indicative to your ESP that you are not highly engaged in those messages, and guess what over time those messages end up in your clutter or promotional folders. The more users that take the same actions the harder it will be to get your relevant message that has similar content into a users inbox.

Someone referenced a blacklisting event we (ELEAD) experienced over a year ago a few posts back, and while blacklisting is a problem and does impact deliverability, the bigger issue in today's email space is user engagement.

While there are some exceptions, as an industry we have gotten lazy:
    • Salespeople are afraid of the phones, so we automated emails to make sure we are "communicating" with the customer.
    • Managers of all varieties don't take the time to coordinate and target their marketing resulting in customers getting all types of marketing that isn't relevant to them.
    @Alex Snyder@Alex Snyder, you put on your customer hat when you started your journey as a customer. Did you want automated email telling you why this dealership is better than the one down the street? No you had specific questions. Let's stop pretending we know what the customer "needs" to hear and let's start listening to the customer.

There is the root of all dealership deliverability problems, not the platform, not the server, not the IP ranges, not the CRM...

It's the customer!
    if you make a habit of sending content people don't want, don't expect GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo or Apple to respect you as an email sender.

7. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder
    Expand Collapse
    President Skroob

First Name:
    Alex
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    axsnyder
    Email is free. It is easy to take for granted and misuse as you well know.

There is a lot of truth to what you're saying, but I think you miss a lot of points in blaming the customer. In fact, it feels like you're blaming everything that isn't the technology.... typical vendor :poke: :rofl:

But people are people and neither are communicating well through email. So, I stick by my statement of forcing people to live in some sort of rules (as eLead is doing) or building better technology that is geared toward the psychological elements we're dealing with.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BrianJ

BrianJ
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    Brian
    Dealer or Company Name:
    ELEAD 1
    Twitter Handle:
    jbrianj
    Thanks for the reply @Alex Snyder@Alex Snyder, I wish there was a simple technology solution to the problem here because it would be much easier than trying to change behaviors. I might be on the vendor side, (hopefully not typical) but this is a topic we've been heavily invested in over the last 12 months and I can only highlight what we are seeing. Almost every vertical is fighting the same thing right now, and that is people and ESPs have gotten protective of their inboxes.

What we have found is that you can check all the technology boxes for email, DKIM, DMarc, SPF, Feedback loops, Reputation Monitoring, etc and end user engagement is still the driving force here.

I wasn't trying to pass the buck here, I'm in the trenches with our clients fighting this battle everyday. Just hoping to arm the rest of the community with the insights we've gained over the last year.

I appreciate you bringing this topic up, because it is definitely something every store needs to be aware of, regardless of what platform they use to deliver mail.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rick Buffkin

Rick Buffkin
    Expand Collapse
    Sausage King of Chicago

First Name:
    Rick
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Beaman Automotive Group
    Can I ask a question here? This maybe a dumb question and I apologize in advance if it is. Getting emails delivered to customers inboxes is pretty important. I get that! With the email marketing companies, website site providers, CRM companies, etc... Why don't they simply add a widget to the forms on the dealers site or whatever site to streamline and add the dealerships email url to the users approved senders list??? Kinda the same why a person wants to share a post to FB, they have to login and then hit "approve" or something.

Example: Before the form's submit button is active, maybe have a button like "Add To Inbox Approve Sender List". Link to which ever email service they're using (Hotmail, Gmail, yahoo, etc...) and then opens up their inbox with an email to add that dealer to their approved sender list.

Has anything like this be done before???

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rick Buffkin

Rick Buffkin
    Expand Collapse
    Sausage King of Chicago

First Name:
    Rick
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Beaman Automotive Group
    This is kinda what I'm talking about. Maybe a link to log them into their email account from the form and once logged in, then a link like this in the form to actually prefill the filter for them. You can take this a few steps futher as well. Looking at the filter paramaters, you can prob POST the form param's for the filter as well. Then all the person would have to do is simply click apply filter from their inbox!

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#c...alership.com&sizeoperator=s_sl&sizeunit=s_smb

11. malinda.terreri

malinda.terreri
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Malinda
    Dealer or Company Name:
    EZPZ Results and 1to1 News, LLC
    @Rick Buffkin@Rick Buffkin - something to think about, if you text customers a link to see a web version of an email this can actually make your deliverability worse. The next time the customer is in their email account and see the actual email they will probably delete it, unread - because they've already read the online version. From the email provider's perspective, your emails are not getting read/clicked which they interpret as your email not having engagement which impacts your inbox deliverability.

Interesting idea on the approved sender widget.