EVs are coming, but for how long?

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
We hosted Cliff Banks on RefreshFriday last week. He said there are only two questions worth paying attention to for the foreseeable future:

1. How will the EV be sold?
  2. What will the connected vehicle be like?

On the first question, it is looking more and more like the EV will be a much tinier splash than what is being heralded. Here's a good synopsis of why:

SO MANY arrows pointing towards this conclusion. Beginning to think this "green energy" push is a scam- sounds a bit crazy, but as more information, data and facts are researched and exposed - I don't see HOW EV's are going to have the enormous impact they're so desperately trying to predict. None of it adds up.

Reactions: duckgoose
Sam Jaffe, vice president of battery solutions at E Source Companies, says, “The price of lithium has been so expensive for so long that it is starting to affect the end price of batteries.”

Sam Jaffe, vice president of battery solutions at E Source Companies, warns of material shortages and high prices but nevertheless expects battery demand to grow to 3.4 TWh by 2031, up from a projected 550 GWh in 2022.

98% of batteries in E Source’s forecast are lithium-ion

Concerning lithium pricing, Jaffe reports: “Short term, the market is in crisis. The price of lithium has been so expensive for so long that it is starting to affect the end price of batteries. There have been lithium price squeezes before, but it's never gotten to this point.”

While he predicts cell prices will fall to $110/kWh by the end of 2023, he warns: “Medium term, we see a severe mismatch between lithium extraction capabilities globally and demand for batteries.

In North America, it is projecting BEV/PHEV sales will reach 8.4 million units in 2031 – 45% of new car demand – up from 1.3 million units in 2022.

Craig Rigby, vice president of technology at battery manufacturer Clarios: “The problem is that all roads lead through China. China has done an incredibly good job at building out their infrastructure and supply chain. The majority of materials, whether it’s cathodes or anodes, are processed and provided by China to the rest of the industry.

Ford and GM were both bullish about their EV programs. Ford, says the automaker plans to ramp up North American production capacity to 2 million BEVs in 2026.

Full and article in Wards Auto

Reactions: DrewAment
I found it interesting that most Tesla owners have 2 or 3 other vehicles. I suspected that the Tesla would not be primary transportation for most. I would have never guessed that these vehicles are not even in the "backup" category.

Tesla has done an excellent job of gobbling-up market share within Vermont's Burlington area. They have an excellent network of charging stations compared to what I've seen everywhere I have traveled in the past few years. It is getting to the point where you see a Tesla for every 5 Subarus on the road - that's saying something up here!

It seems many of these belong to households with more than two vehicles. Some use it as their primary form of transportation (even a Dominos pizza delivery driver). Aside from the pizza boy, it is mostly upper-middle-class white people (Vermont is like 96% white) who do like to be looked at.

Old money affluent people here do not drive these things. They're classy. And yes, you can read into my post to believe I don't like virtue signalers. And yes, that's what I think most Tesla owners are. I can carve out a small piece of respect for the ones who are purely in it for the fun factor. I hope those people ditch their Teslas for car makers who have appealed to us enthusiasts as more bring better EVs to market.

If I am a Chevy dealer, I mad as a hornet. Toyota dealers coast to coast are rejoicing a double win. New Hybrids are killing it, demand is over the moon. The 2nd win comes from GM's decision in March 2016 to go all in on EVs and ignore Hybrids. Marry Barra & her team were chasing Elon's vision and his pay check, with no regard to the transition from ICE to EV. In 2023, as the magical shine comes off 'Elon and all thing's EV', Toyota will be taking share for as far as the eye can see.
image-PhotoRoom.png

Reactions: Tallcool1
If I am a Chevy dealer, I mad as a hornet. Toyota dealers coast to coast are rejoicing a double win. New Hybrids are killing it, demand is over the moon. The 2nd win comes from GM's decision in March 2016 to go all in on EVs and ignore Hybrids. Marry Barra & her team were chasing Elon's vision and his pay check, with no regard to the transition from ICE to EV. In 2023, as the magical shine comes off 'Elon and all thing's EV', Toyota will be taking share for as far as the eye can see.
View attachment 7673
This is something that I have questioned for the past several years. Why the all out abandonment of the Hybrid model (most manufacturers) in favor of the EV? I am by no means an expert on this, but that was confusing to me.

I personally think that if the amount of R & D that has been thrown at EV would have been invested in the Hybrid programs, we would be far ahead of where we are today. Generation of Electricity is a big sticking point for the EV industry, and that is easily addressed in Hybrids.