• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Brian Michael West

3rd Base Coach
Jun 1, 2018
Awards
First Name
Brian
I've been working in the automotive social media industry for over a decade now, and the hottest trend is these 3rd Party "BUYBACK EVENTS" that drive little to zero results for thousands of dollars.

Managing dealerships all across the country and seeing them get roped into these garbage products is disturbing. The "BDC Rep" they assign to you is 99% of the time from another country and can't spell correctly, send incorrect information, or say things like "Ask for ________" (someone that doesn't work at the dealership).

My whole point of this thread is - stop falling for these promises of hundreds of leads. I've watched them fail for months now and I've kept quiet, but seeing dealerships in the middle of a pandemic struggle financially and be promised smoke and mirror marketing pisses me off. If you want quality social media management, quality leads, and quality content going out on your page - it isn't going to be from one of these third party events. Your customers aren't falling for it anymore.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 2.12.57 PM (1).png

Does Mail count as social media? LOL

In the old days, we'd use CRM to generate a list and print letters: "We'd like to purchase your [make] [model]."

We'd have the sales staff stuff and lick the envelopes, and we'd drop them in the mail. We probably did it quarterly or so... low cost, good return.

Can't imagine hiring a circus to do it for us...

It's no doubt been so overplayed, most consumers don't give 2 :poop:'s about these promos. I'm not saying they can't still be effective if properly targeted with a personal 1 to 1 message - I used to do exactly what @john.quinn is referring to, highly targeting list from the CRM with a mostly handwritten personal message, hand stuffed and licked envelopes followed up with a phone call from "the manager."I would send maybe 60-100 pieces a month (very small) and would sell 3-5 cars each month (plus the trade-ins) from the campaign.

It's no doubt been so overplayed, most consumers don't give 2 :poop:'s about these promos. I'm not saying they can't still be effective if properly targeted with a personal 1 to 1 message - I used to do exactly what @john.quinn is referring to, highly targeting list from the CRM with a mostly handwritten personal message, hand stuffed and licked envelopes followed up with a phone call from "the manager."I would send maybe 60-100 pieces a month (very small) and would sell 3-5 cars each month (plus the trade-ins) from the campaign.
You may have given me the letter?? Forever ago... LOL

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
There's huge profit margins for the agencies that run them (an impression on facebook is far cheaper than a postage stamp!), but most clients end up disappointed with the results.

These Facebook events pretty much only work at driving sub-prime traffic, if that.

We have done all types of equity/Trade Cycle events and campaigns for our dealersI. Of the ones that are a smashing success, there is a common denominator: How does the dealership treat their customers? If you only reach out when you want something you can't expect customers to respond enthusiastically. On the other hand, if you been a true partner in your customer's ownership experience, they will reward you. and by the way, social media is a great way to have an ongoing experience with your customers.

t's no doubt been so overplayed, most consumers don't give 2 :poop:'s about these promos. I'm not saying they can't still be effective if properly targeted with a personal 1 to 1 message - I used to do exactly what @john.quinn is referring to, highly targeting list from the CRM with a mostly handwritten personal message, hand stuffed and licked envelopes followed up with a phone call from "the manager."I would send maybe 60-100 pieces a month (very small) and would sell 3-5 cars each month (plus the trade-ins) from the campaign.