• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Store Visits Attribution Now Available in Google ANALYTICS!

Ed, third party sites are some of the worst offenders when it comes to providing transparency and tracking. They're right up there with OEMs and their vendor agencies for preventing dealers from seeing the truth and how bad they are really performing. And being one of the largest sources of referral traffic means absolutely nothing when referral traffic is such a small percentage of a dealers total traffic. Typically a dealer will only see 5% or less of their traffic coming from Referral sites. And in the case of OEM mandated sites, that includes traffic from the OEM. Which means that any one third party site is only going to be responsible for maybe 1% of a dealer's total traffic. That's nothing, and certainly not enough to justify their expense.

As to your assertion that Google Analytics is a vendor dashboard, you blew that out of your backside just like the majority of crap that you post. You have no idea how Google Analytics works, and no idea that there are so many competitors that force Google Analytics to be accurate. Yes, Google is a vendor, but to say that Google Analytics "generally tilts" in favor of Google is complete and utter bullshit, even for you.

Quite honestly Ed, your posts are a perfect example of what's wrong with vendors in automotive today. You're trying to sound like you know what you're talking about in a weak attempt to justify to your dealers that they should still be spending money with you. You make stuff up, take stuff out of context and try to reduce complex topics down to a sophomoric meme. You're not trying to help anybody but yourself and only serve to confuse dealers and waste everybody's time.
Well... all this anger and all this angst.

I'm sorry if you don't like the "majority of crap" that I post. The "sophomoric meme" you disparage was designed to point out that attribution is complex and can't be accomplished by looking simply at the last click. I'm sorry you don't put any value on referral traffic (even when combined with multi-channel funnels, conversion paths, and goals?) Most of all I'm sorry I ever engaged in this conversation. I honestly wish you all the best, but I'm done with this engagement.

If @Jeff Kershner and @Alex Snyder think that I've never tried to help anyone on this forum, I apologize to them.

Well... all this anger and all this angst.

I'm sorry if you don't like the "majority of crap" that I post. The "sophomoric meme" you disparage was designed to point out that attribution is complex and can't be accomplished by looking simply at the last click. I'm sorry you don't put any value on referral traffic (even when combined with multi-channel funnels, conversion paths, and goals?) Most of all I'm sorry I ever engaged in this conversation. I honestly wish you all the best, but I'm done with this engagement.

If @Jeff Kershner and @Alex Snyder think that I've never tried to help anyone on this forum, I apologize to them.
Ed, posting false information and half-truths helps nobody. And please, spare us your faux indignation. This is not the first time you've done this and you should know better.

In slightly off-topic news...

#8: Cross-Device Reporting Comes to Google Analytics
Cross-device reporting is nothing novel, and reports like the Device report and the Device Paths report have long allowed advertisers to attribute conversions to multiple devices. Now, for the first time, cross-device reporting is coming to Google Analytics.

google-marketing-live-2018-devices.jpg

The Cross Device reports live within the Audience section of Google Analytics, and are divided into three sub-reports:
  1. Device Overlap: Find out what type and how many devices are used to access your content.
  2. Device Paths: Discover the last 5 device types used before a conversion.
  3. Acquisition Device: See the relationship between acquisitions and conversions.
Now you can compare segments, visualize data, and distinguish usage across desktop, mobile, and tablet at each stage of your purchasing funnel--all within Google Analytics.

Reactions: Dan Sayer

Ed, there is no doubt you've helped people before. And we absolutely appreciate your contributions to DealerRefresh for so many years.

We've all stood by our points to our own detriment. According to Jeff Bezos that isn't a bad thing:

Jeff Bezos said:
"Does this person like to be innovative? Do they have a bit of a pioneering spirit?"

"Maybe they're also a little bit annoying because they might be … a little bit radical or a bit of a rebel," he continues. These "mavericks" are not always "the easiest people to get along with," says Bezos, "but you want them at your organization."
From: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/25/why-amazon-ceo-jeff-bezos-hires-annoying-employees.html

Inc.com said:
But Bezos's counterintuitive strategy isn't just to look at how often people are right. Instead, he also looks for people who can admit they are wrong and change their opinions often.

Bezos has "observed that the smartest people are constantly revising their understanding, reconsidering a problem they thought they'd already solved. They're open to new points of view, new information, new ideas, contradictions, and challenges to their own way of thinking," Fried reports the Amazon boss saying.
From https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillma...igh-intelligence-according-to-jeff-bezos.html

Last edited:
Wait... Google continues to say how great Google is?! I love Google Analytics and I am interested in seeing how this metric plays out. Does anyone really know how this works? "Anonymous and Aggregated Statistics".

"How it works
Store visit data is based on anonymous, aggregated statistics. Google Ads creates modeled numbers by using current and past data on the number of people who click or view your ads and later visit your store.

Store visit data can’t be tied to individual ad clicks, viewable impressions, or people. We use industry best practices to ensure the privacy of individual users."

Wait... Google continues to say how great Google is?! I love Google Analytics and I am interested in seeing how this metric plays out. Does anyone really know how this works? "Anonymous and Aggregated Statistics".

"How it works
Store visit data is based on anonymous, aggregated statistics. Google Ads creates modeled numbers by using current and past data on the number of people who click or view your ads and later visit your store.

Store visit data can’t be tied to individual ad clicks, viewable impressions, or people. We use industry best practices to ensure the privacy of individual users."
Ian, this is not Store Visits from Google Ads. This is Store Visits from Google Analytics. Two separate animals. Hit me up if you want to know how it works, it's a little too complicated to go into here.

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
It's reporting on other non-Google sources so I don't think they would care whether or not it makes them look good?

After they tested on Google Ads where they know they look good on. So now they want to show how they stack up against all the other sources that are trying to get some of their marketing spend.

I am not saying this isn't good data and valuable, I can't wait to see it with some of our own solutions... (I think haha). However, Google is a for-profit 3rd party vendor that sometimes we use as a marketing guide.