• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google's Dealer Guidebook 2.5 is out - Your thoughts?

Dan Sayer

Boss
Staff member
Dec 4, 2009
Awards
First Name
Dan
My agency (Cannonball.digital) sent me the latest nugget of wisdom (or Koolaid) from Google labeled the Dealer Guidebook 2.5. I think I missed 2.0? Anyway, data is only good if we can do something with it. Amen? Here is something I'm scratching my head over:

Online vehicle purchases up to 10% compared to 1% just two years ago BUT purchasers NOT submitting an online lead action went up to 74% (from 68% 5 years ago). So, more people are buying online, but fewer are submitting leads? Is that the way you see it? That was counter to what we saw in 2020. We had a massive lift in % of online leads compared to phone and walk-in. What am I missing?

[EXTERNAL] Dealer Guidebook 2.5 TwG Portrait - Google Slides 2021-02-11 at 10.03.58 AM.png
[EXTERNAL] Dealer Guidebook 2.5 TwG Portrait - Google Slides 2021-02-11 at 10.04.23 AM.png
Here is the full report link:

And no, the Case study with Mike Anderson Chevy is not my group even though my owner is also named "Mike Anderson" LOL. Oh, and sorry, the token "Brian Benstock" mention is in here as well.

Last edited:
This might be dumb, but.. if they consider the current stock of "Online Sales" providers not to be leads, then it makes more sense.
If you buy a car though [Digital Retailing Provider], almost all of them are simply sending a very highly qualified, potentially approved, lead to the store. The vehicle is not actually sold yet, but that would be considered an "online sale" and that customer did not submit a lead because they went right into the digital retailing funnel.

This might be dumb, but.. if they consider the current stock of "Online Sales" providers not to be leads, then it makes more sense.
If you buy a car though [Digital Retailing Provider], almost all of them are simply sending a very highly qualified, potentially approved, lead to the store. The vehicle is not actually sold yet, but that would be considered an "online sale" and that customer did not submit a lead because they went right into the digital retailing funnel.
That is dumb ;-)
Actually, I wondered what they consider "Online Sales" since, like in Nebraska, you still have to get a wet signature on a couple items. It would make sense if that lift is purely the Carvana-like transactions. As for DR, I've not heard the argument that those going through a DR application aren't counted as a "lead" so I don't think that's the reason. I bet it's the lift in Phone calls which we have seen since mobile traffic flipped. I have a contact at Google Auto. I'll ask him what they consider an "Online Sale" and an "online lead action".

So, by this logic, 100% of DR deals would be considered a lead?
Yes. If someone only gives their first name and an email address on a web form that is a lead just as if someone gave full name, three phone numbers, their blood type and completed every step in a DR tool online. That is also a lead. In fact I think the "sales line" of most DR tools is "increase leads" because they are claiming to increase conversion of sessions to leads, just like any other widget living on a site.

Reading through the report, it becomes glaringly obvious (to me at least) that the only portion of the digital funnel that Google doesn't make money off of is the DR software...not yet anyways. As soon as GMB listings can incorporate an inventory feed - and maybe they have already evolved their "model carousel" beyond that - might they jump in there too?

"Q3: Where did you purchase your vehicle? A. Online via website or app"

Seems like it should have been a straightforward question, but a huge percentage of shoppers are submitting any sort of form on a site and then purchasing the car either in their dealership or in their driveway last year. So I am wondering if the responders answered "online" even if it was just submitting a form then picking up the car or having the car delivered.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :google:

What a surprise. Google wants more money; automatic bidding, YouTube video, Retargeting, long duration funnel, ad buy recommendations, store visit bananas. The only thing they missed was bathroom browsing.

1) Bullshit
2) Of course leads are down, the f'n market was down Einstein (unemployment rate, pandemic, hello!?)
3) DR tools worked because people had plenty of time to sit on their ass and play with them. Kids took the laptop and I am stuck on my phone fiddling for crap to do to keep my attention away from the nonsense outside!
4) Carvana - Google loves Carvana!!!
Everyone else is the ugly kid in the corner (don't forget that). Just read Airbnb pre-ipo report where it mentions Google as a risk factor due to preferred treatment and manipulation of their page ranking on specific search terms...hmmm. Booking.com is Google's number 1 bud spending billions (I mean billions, like billion billions) on ad spend (this tidbit of info came from a Google Employee I know; who knew I knew anyone)
5) Say hello to my little friend....new browsers like Dissenter, Brave, Vivaldi and likes will eat into the marketshare thank god. Brave users receive 70% of the publisher ad spend, shit think about that --> I get paid for what I allow my eyeballs to see! And remember this, half the crap on your website won't work on these browser such as your chat, pop-up tools, etc.

Smell the coffee (by coffee, I mean shit)!