• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

HomeNet issues... How bad are they? Phones are down all day Today

HomeNet’s recent disaster will go down in history as the “Dark Days of HomeNet”, but some data collection companies have updated their backend 4 times or more times in 10 years and most were not for the better. If you release a new inventory management platform and within a year or two you need to replace it, I think you didn’t do it right the first time. HomeNet’s 1.0 was around for a long time and I’m guessing 2.0 will be too.
We spent over three years planning and building IOL 2 with dozens upon dozens of full-time programmers, architects, QA people, business analysts, project managers, and more. The size and scope of this project amazes me even now. There will NOT be another new platform any time soon, believe me. IOL 2 was built with a solid underlying architecture that was designed to scale, and to be honest, I personally doubt there ever will be a "true" IOL 3: Anything with that name would likely just be a facelift or extension or variation on IOL 2, and would still use the same underlying database architecture, code structure, processing logic, and server organization, because we did all of that right this time around. I wouldn't be surprised if most of IOL 2's code outlives me. So that's the silver lining on these dark clouds: I doubt we'll ever go through this again. (And thank God for that.)

HomeNet’s WebIOL isn’t flashy and it doesn’t have ten pie charts to help you monitor your inventory and it doesn’t have flashing little buttons, what it does have is straight forward inventory control
Speaking in my role as one of the lead UI developers, that was kinda the point. Flash and glitz is stupid. We could add it, I suppose, but the only thing that does is look good on marketing brochures. I don't want shiny lights and big wasteful displays on my software. I want power. I want control. I want the machine to do what I tell it when I tell it to do that and do it now and not ask questions and get the heck out of my way the rest of the time. And that's probably what you want too. Our focus in building IOL 2 wasn't on pretty — although I think the UI is fairly pleasant to look at — but on making the core of it solid, right, and stable, and I think that's the right focus to have had. Anybody can draw a pretty web page.

We spent over three years planning and building IOL 2 with dozens upon dozens of full-time programmers, architects, QA people, business analysts, project managers, and more. The size and scope of this project amazes me even now. There will NOT be another new platform any time soon, believe me. IOL 2 was built with a solid underlying architecture that was designed to scale, and to be honest, I personally doubt there ever will be a "true" IOL 3: Anything with that name would likely just be a facelift or extension or variation on IOL 2, and would still use the same underlying database architecture, code structure, processing logic, and server organization, because we did all of that right this time around. I wouldn't be surprised if most of IOL 2's code outlives me. So that's the silver lining on these dark clouds: I doubt we'll ever go through this again. (And thank God for that.)

Speaking in my role as one of the lead UI developers, that was kinda the point. Flash and glitz is stupid. We could add it, I suppose, but the only thing that does is look good on marketing brochures. I don't want shiny lights and big wasteful displays on my software. I want power. I want control. I want the machine to do what I tell it when I tell it to do that and do it now and not ask questions and get the heck out of my way the rest of the time. And that's probably what you want too. Our focus in building IOL 2 wasn't on pretty — although I think the UI is fairly pleasant to look at — but on making the core of it solid, right, and stable, and I think that's the right focus to have had. Anybody can draw a pretty web page.

Sean,

If this is the best platform that trader owns and you claim there will not be a new one anytime soon, what should dealers using vAuto or VINSOL to collect data do?

Sean,

Seeing as this is the only way to get a response (currently on hold for 22 mins.) Who do I talk to about the dealers that can't save pricing? How do I get the cars that are showing up in the wrong dealer to stop showing up after deleting them every day for two weeks? The cars that we manually add to the system never show up, who can fix that? Should I tell Mile One that you keep mixing their inventory with Red McCombs, or are we keeping that quiet? Antwerpen does not have a Honda store in Alabama, how do I remove those cars and why do you guys keep sending them?

Actually I just got support in Phoenix and she told me as a reseller to try and call back so I'm on hold again. Maybe you can answer before they do....

My tickets from 3 weeks ago are getting closed with no results, can you help with that?

Edit: 50 mins on hold now, any ideas?

Last edited:
So now all calls are going to "overflow support", a ticket is created and it will be closed in a few days with no resolution. Looks like it could be the demise of the reseller program.

I just posed the question to the folks at Homenet - was this a plan to get rid of the Homenet reseller program? As with all other inquiries, no answer yet. I'm sure they'll create a ticket and close it out in a few days.

So, if the "leadership" at Homenet pays attention to the boards, perhaps they will respond?