• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

HomeNet issues... How bad are they? Phones are down all day Today

I have a dealer group that has wrong pricing and the pricing matrixes will not work. When they try to save them manually they don't save. Is anyone else having this issue or is it the computers at the store?

I had a similar situation and it turned out to be the user's role. HN didn't give the user the correct role to add or change the sale prices and save it. Same with vehicle comments. So after reviewing it with support, they didn't give me the proper roll to assign them the correct role to adjust and save prices/comments.

these are the roles that I assigned them:Custom Comment Admin
HTML Marketing Tool Kit Admin
Inventory Modifier
Inventory Reader
IOL Performance Suite Admin
Legacy Admin
Legacy Pricing Modifier
Legacy Reader
Legacy Writer
Partner Realtime Updates Admin
Pricing Analysis
Pricing Matrix Admin
Smart Auction Ally Financial
Window Stickers

Hopefully helps.

It is not a permissions issue, as they have the correct permissions. Change a price and it says it saved but it never changes. It does not change if I use my log in. With my log in some dealers price changes take, they don't take on other dealers. Same log in, same permissions. I have 3 different dealer groups that can not change pricing and have not been able to for weeks.

John, I know your customers appreciate all the extra hours you've spent with this transition and I know how hard you work. To be honest though your assessment on these points isn't exactly spot-on. The "push" data feeds are GREAT - so long as the partner updates the sites - too many consumer-facing sites won't accept real-time data feeds or utilize an API. They want to but have been slow to adopt. We've had an API available for 18 months for any partner wanting to use it - we've promoted it and marketed it to them as a win-win solution for all involved. Of course, there is no charge - it helps our customers. That's why we promote pushing inventory and photos throughout the day rather than just at night like so many competing companies do. The bottom line on data feeds is that the end-providers need to prioritize utilizing an API or real-time data!

As far as the options are concerned, I've used Chrome, AutoData, DataOne and JATO. All of them have their plusses and minuses but bottom line is that OEM descriptions should be a dealer-by-dealer decision. I agree that most highline dealers would want descriptions just like the manufacturer, however using an OEM 20 word description to describe a seat belt harness or rear-seat reading lamp makes the important options get lost in the jumble.

I think we'd all agree whether you use a data collection company or do it yourself, the optional equipment not obtained by an automatic VIN decode needs to be supplemented with the information that sells!

John, I know your customers appreciate all the extra hours you've spent with this transition and I know how hard you work. To be honest though your assessment on these points isn't exactly spot-on. The "push" data feeds are GREAT - so long as the partner updates the sites - too many consumer-facing sites won't accept real-time data feeds or utilize an API. They want to but have been slow to adopt. We've had an API available for 18 months for any partner wanting to use it - we've promoted it and marketed it to them as a win-win solution for all involved. Of course, there is no charge - it helps our customers. That's why we promote pushing inventory and photos throughout the day rather than just at night like so many competing companies do. The bottom line on data feeds is that the end-providers need to prioritize utilizing an API or real-time data!

As far as the options are concerned, I've used Chrome, AutoData, DataOne and JATO. All of them have their plusses and minuses but bottom line is that OEM descriptions should be a dealer-by-dealer decision. I agree that most highline dealers would want descriptions just like the manufacturer, however using an OEM 20 word description to describe a seat belt harness or rear-seat reading lamp makes the important options get lost in the jumble.

I think we'd all agree whether you use a data collection company or do it yourself, the optional equipment not obtained by an automatic VIN decode needs to be supplemented with the information that sells!

A few comments on Glen's post:

Using an API to transfer data will be cheaper and more efficient in the long run than feeds via FTP. Companies are not willing to adapt to this because it is not a new "product" that they can sell, it is pretty m8uch an investment they have to make that they can't monetize. Glen correctly pints out that the API is great for as long as everyone uses it; as much as I admire John Holt for many reasons, I've recently been in a meeting where the Cobalt team told a dealer they can only update their sites once every 18 hours. everyone needs to step up at the same time.

As for the options issue... he is totally correct. I've been in the data collection business for 12 years and also used most of the systems that he mentions. Everyone has good points and bad points. I asked 2 of my Dodge dealers a year or so ago how should we go about naming the Ram trucks since Dodge was making that a different brand; I got 3 different answers. I'm also waiting to see what the manufacturer has to say about how we name the options. All they have to say is "no co-op money until you name them they way we say they want to be named" and there it goes all the Homenet work on re-sentencing the database. Because of this I decided to set an exceptions database in my system that allows to run sentencing changes on a per database basis so dealers can have the final say of what to have and not just my programer's opinions. I will adventure to say that the business will move towards this option in the future.

Reactions: 1 person

I agree, but I was talking about the right here and right now. I want real-time for all, but who knows if and when it will happen. I confirmed that Dealer.com would update the site after a data feed was forced to them, so that is here and now. I also test the First in Class website and it recognized a data feed in 6 minutes or less, so that's here and now. The other websites that use HomeNet for the inventory pages, I'm guessing will have similar results. So HomeNet is making that happen now. I hear Inventory Management companies say, "We send them a data feed 4 times a day!" and I always ask, "How many of those data feeds are recognized?" You can send a million data feeds per day or hour and have only one recognized within a 24 hour period, so I guess it comes down to which Inventory Management Company gets their data feeds recognized more?

I agree with you on some points, editing/removing some of the options are required, but I disagree with you about it’s only for highline dealers. Building value through great options is required for all dealers. All dealers compete for online shoppers regardless of highline dealer or not. I process BMWs at Ford dealers and Hyundai lots.

I like to think of Chrome Data's VIN decoder as a guide for me to work from. It informs me of options and packages available to a vehicle that I may or may not have know was available for that vehicle and it forces me to review the vehicle in greater detail and take pride in what I do because I'm part of the sales process. Your options are part of the Unique Sales Point that grabs online shopper's attention and motivates them to contact the dealership. With the right VIN decoder and setup, if you don't like an option(s), remove it. If an option is to long, shorten it or replace it with a generic option; such as Dual Front AirBags. I can remove and/or adjust any options that I decide are "fluff"; such as the examples you provided and more.

Dealers are adding pictures and more pictures and videos to online listings, and in the end, if your vehicle option list isn't "enriched" or builds value then it doesn't fully describe the vehicle's options, so you aren't helping to build value. You can photo the Rear Power Liftgate switch, but you can't mention it in the option list.

I agree. I've researched ABC, XYZ and other Inventory Management companies and each company does it differently and in the end you need to do your research and discover what works best for you. I'm evaluating another company this evening and at first glance it has all the right "stuff", BUT it allowed me to insert a "Premium Package" in the vehicle equipment list but it doesn't explain what it includes. How can you say it has a Premium Package with no explanation of what's in the package? It should read, "Premium Package -inc: Bose AM/FM stereo w/6-disc in-dash CD changer, MP3 capability, (10) speakers plus subwoofer, HomeLink universal transceiver, auto headlights, power tilt/sliding glass sunroof" and coincidentally that's the way that Nissan described that very option when it was new and it sounds great now on a pre-owned vehicle. When I was searching for my used vehicle, I was shopping for a vehicle with the Premium Package because I wanted the Bose audio system, HomeLink, and power sunroof.

And looking forward for on my next car shopping experience, I might want a vehicle with the MyKey System that allows me to set restrictions on the vehicle's top speed and whether the radio can be playing if the seat belt isn't buckled, or I might want the Sync System that allows me to connect my iPhone to the car and play my music or take calls through the car's audio system and so on, or maybe I want the BlueLink System from Hyundai that allows me to Navigate, Connect and Discover, or maybe the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) system which controls wheel spin and provides traction when the wheels slip, or I might want the TECHNOLOGY PKG -inc: intelligent cruise control, lane departure warning w/lane departure prevention, distance control assist, intelligent brake assist w/forward collision warning, blind spot warning w/blind spot intervention, front pre-crash seat belts, adaptive front lighting system w/auto-leveling headlights. It would be nice to know that an Inventory Management Company could properly describe these options when needed, online and at the lot on the window sticker because it builds value. Building value builds gross.

Vehicles are getting more and more "Fancy", so having the right tools to identify the "Fancy" features is very important. "Fancy" features outline the difference between one car without and one with. If your Inventory Management Company can't breakdown the "Fancy" features, then the car isn't special, so it should get passed over when the online shopper decides to start contacting dealers for the next step in the Road to the Sale. The "Fancy" features are not only technology related, but importantly are safety options. Online Shoppers are getting smarter and they are searching for the vehicles with the right features that they find necessary and some of those options are the "Fancy" features, so making sure you can properly identify them is my mission.

For me it's all about value, who builds it and who doesn't.