• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How do you guys handle Marketing Copy Cats and blatant plagiarists?

Daniel, sell cars and move on. You should be proud that people are copying. Ignore it and move on. Better yet just come work for me...

Todd, I decided that you're right and that imitation is most sincere form of flattery. So without further aido I'd like to introduce to you our version of Usedcarking.com meet the new look of quirkcars.com

QuirkCarsPayshomagetoUsedCarKing.jpg
We couldn't help it Todd you're site is beautiful and in a few more days ours will be beautiful too! Keep it up Rich Simard

How bad do you want to take them out?
Call me if you find the time to chat.

Manny
832-341-1806

MANNY, c'mon man, they're 500 miles apart!
face-palm :egads: someone tell manny about GEO.

#2 DR is NOT where you hustle business.
#3 Try not to speak poorly of a fellow competitor.

badass-or-dumbass-why-not-both_o_339732.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If I had this issue:
I would use a little JavaScript to start and only target the Img tags on the sites so no one could right click on the image's and copy / save them. Here's a quick snip from doing a quick search on google.

This will disable all the right clicks on anything with an image tag on your site as long as it's loaded on each page. You can alter your alert message if you choose.
<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
function nocontext(e) {
var clickedTag = (e==null) ? event.srcElement.tagName : e.target.tagName;
if (clickedTag == "IMG") {
alert(alertMsg);
return false;
}
}
var alertMsg = "Image context menu is disabled";
document.oncontextmenu = nocontext;
//]]>
</script>Me personally, I would take this a step further and build it so, if choose to make it IP based, I would have the ability to. Just write a quick PHP script that uses functions to get the visitors IP address (their true IP) and load that onto your server. Make sure in your PHP function, you have written in the code to accept wild cards. That way you can use a specific IP like 123.321.123.12 or 123.321.* and either of these would return a positive value in your code. Based on the returned value, that will determine if the visitor can right click on the images or not. In your java script on your main site, just call for the value returned and place that in your if statement in the above code. By doing it this way, all you really have to edit is the PHP file that's sitting on your server and you can edit / make changes and load the file to your server on the fly.

They can still do screenshots and get your images, but it would be alot more work editing the images on their part. If it is still happening after you deploy something like this, You can use similar tactics like above and completely block / redirect the visitor to where ever you want. I wouldn't recommend sending them to a completely different site, just send them to a different page within your own site. A dummy page so to speak.

Rick - I think you and I should become friends!

Sounds like a good idea!

I was thinking about my post earilier and you know you could just hide all the images on the site or all the images on specific pages based on the visitor's ip. By doing it this way, you will eliminate them from taking your images from screenshots as well.

Keep in mind, by using the ip identifier, you can't block them from surfing your site at their home. But, you can make damn sure they won't sit at work and shop your website and yank your ideas while sitting at work. Chances are they're too lazy to visit your site from home.

/////////////////////////////////
function hideImages() {
document.getElementsByTagName('img').style.display = 'none';
}

///////////////////////

Not hustling business just offering free help...
Taking out a competitor is what we get paid to do.

We all know about dealer-to-dealer competition, that's what SEO 101 is and that's not what i'm speaking about.

You're in an open marketplace, DR is a community of dealers AND vendors.
#1). You're a vendor. Your offer is to replace another vendor (or piss off a dealer w/ in-house SEO).
#2). You NEVER mentioned free help.
#3). Truly free help is not "call me", that's self promotion.

Think about it.

DR attracts the brightest minds in the industry because EVERYONE openly shares knowledge.

A vendor millionaire, who got his start right here in the DR forums gives you 5 simple rules to success:
http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f40/prospecting-trolling-where-your-vendor-line-3453-3.html#post30566