• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

I am BEYOND frustrated with Dealer.com

Wanted to add as well, their hosting setup (servers), aren't very reliable. Sure they'll be up doing peak times of the day, but at random moments you might find your site running slow, or non-responsive during the night time. Everyone's most likely on a different server, as they must own hundreds of them, but their up-time isn't the best.

if you're a dealer with no idea how websites work it's perfect for you then. If you are a smart dealer, who knows how important a website is, and how it cannot be limited to the same template everyone else uses.. you'll stay away from dealer.com

This is a pretty good summation. On the good side, if you're a dealer with zero internet presence all you've gotta do is throw some cash at the problem and DDC will instantly give you a cookie-cutter website. On the bad side, its a cookie cutter website. I feel bad for our graphic artists, because they are pretty skilled when it comes to making websites (flash, html, css, graphics, etc) but they are forced to work around the limitations of DDC.

In order to show off their capabilities we have resorted to hosting much of our content on our own server, there's just no way for them to stay within the constraints of DDC and create the same content.

Dealer.com is just not up to speed, they are just sitting back waiting for dealers who don't know anything to buy in and forget about it. I'm sure there's a few of us out there, who can't stand the way they do business.

Take a look around, its not just DDC. Automotive vendors are supplying what their market demands: tools for people who can barely use a computer. Since you're discussing your issues on a niche internet forum you are definitely not the target market. However, you should be better able to overcome the limitations.

I've been working with ISP's and website providers/vendors since the BEGINNING -- mid 90's. It was a stroke of genius when we figured-out how to download a delimited file from the DMS and email to the site provider so we'd have a list of inventory on our site (one of the 1st dealers ever!!) -- tied a "Contact Us" form to it, and BOOM -- internet leads!!

I've worked with a LOT of companies over the years -- Dealer.com (more recently) included with a couple of our brands.

So what I don't understand is the vitriol when referencing a website vendor -- especially from car people. Granted passion and commitment to your craft is a good thing, but a website is a TOOL. Do you get upset at Craftsman because you don't like the way their hammer sounds when you hit a nail? It's a hammer. It does what it does.

Anybody sell Honda's? An EX is an EX. An LX is an LX. They build the product they believe will have the greatest appeal to the greatest amount of people. Can you imagine getting mad at Honda because you want the AC button on the other side of the dash? haha... of course not! And as a consumer, if you don't like it, you have choices. There's that nice Toyota dealer down the street.

Any service provider/manufacturer is going to build a platform -- a foundation -- upon which they can provide the best user experience while remaining true to the intent of the architecture. And just in-case you're new to this game, it is ALL about the architecture -- how the tool can do the work for which it was designed! So while it's OK to have your own opinions about Big Green Buttons and schemes and add-ons and arrangements, at the end of the day, what's really important is whether or not the site gets the job done.

My DDC sites get the job done, as do my other sites.

In my experience, 99% of the "Bad Taste" between a vendor and a client is a result of the communication between the vendor and the client. Just like at your dealership, where "issues" between Sales & Service are 99% communication-related. I personally learned a long time ago that communication is a 2-way street, and that you will catch more flies with honey than with the switch. Do you approach your vendor relations this way? Or are you a "screamer?" Do you make an effort to cultivate a relationship with the people who provide you goods and services? My vendors like to call me back, because they've become friends. Hold them accountable? Of course! Do I have to be a jerk to do so? Nope.

Good relationships and good services need to be cultivated and grown. But if you like the "I'm paying them so I am entitled" approach, so be it. Just don't be surprised when yours is not the 1st voice mail returned ;).

Reactions: 3 people
kcar, take a very constructive tip from Ol' Uncle Joe:

"...I’d say the most valuable tool in vendor relations is knowing which vendor can help you reach your goals, then make that vendor your partner. Sell that vendor your vision with a smile and back slapping enthusiasm and you’ll find above average service and someone who gives a sh*t about you, because you need them. And in the end, tell me, who doesn’t like to be needed?"

What is your tool of choice? Honey or Vinegar?

ref:http://www.dealerrefresh.com/joe-pistell-of-the-sun-auto-group-interview/

Reactions: 2 people
kcar, take a very constructive tip from Ol' Uncle Joe:

"...I’d say the most valuable tool in vendor relations is knowing which vendor can help you reach your goals, then make that vendor your partner. Sell that vendor your vision with a smile and back slapping enthusiasm and you’ll find above average service and someone who gives a sh*t about you, because you need them. And in the end, tell me, who doesn’t like to be needed?"

What is your tool of choice? Honey or Vinegar?

ref:Reader Spotlight: Joe Pistell of the Sun Auto Group

Were you writing this at the same time or are you plagiarizing??? HAHA LOL!

Wanted to add as well, their hosting setup (servers), aren't very reliable. Sure they'll be up doing peak times of the day, but at random moments you might find your site running slow, or non-responsive during the night time. Everyone's most likely on a different server, as they must own hundreds of them, but their up-time isn't the best.

In my experience when one of my DDC websites is down, all of them are down. I rarely run into problems, when the websites go down they are never down for very long. However, I'm not checking it 24/7, so do I really know how often it fails?

So, I wrote the AutoIT script "WebChecker". It's attached to this message, and you can compile and run it yourself with AutoIT: AutoIt Downloads - AutoItScript I'm going to let WebChecker run on my PC for a week or two. If it checks my website and cannot retrieve it or retrieves a file that is significantly smaller than the normal home page (probably an error message) it will email me an alert and attach the retrieved HTML to the email.

To use this you will need to edit the "Const" entries at the beginning of the script to specify the web server you want to check, the email server to use for sending alerts, the delay between checks, and the file size cutoff. You will also need to rename both of these files from .txt to .au3. The "3PF_SMTP.au3" is the function used to send the email and needs to be in the same folder as WebCheck.au3

Questions or comments, let me know.

Attachments

• 3PF_SMTP.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 0
  • WebChecker.txt
    6.7 KB · Views: 1
I used to be in the automotive website business and I can empathize with all of you whether it be against a vendor or for one. Building relationships is key and I agree that using honey over vinegar goes along way.

I guess one thing that I noticed over the last 3-5 years is that the OEM's are driving the the design, build and more importantly who builds dealers websites. Dealers are trying their hardest to separate themselves from their competitors and are being held back by who they have to use or how their site looks.

In my opinion, as long as OEM's continue to move towards uniformity in their dealers websites, the ones like Art and KCar, who want to be creative in their ways will be blocked by OEM standards.

I used to be in the automotive website business and I can empathize with all of you whether it be against a vendor or for one. Building relationships is key and I agree that using honey over vinegar goes along way.

I guess one thing that I noticed over the last 3-5 years is that the OEM's are driving the the design, build and more importantly who builds dealers websites. Dealers are trying their hardest to separate themselves from their competitors and are being held back by who they have to use or how their site looks.

In my opinion, as long as OEM's continue to move towards uniformity in their dealers websites, the ones like Art and KCar, who want to be creative in their ways will be blocked by OEM standards.

Amen, Will! Every OEM has had their "facility" improvement projects for years -- they want every dealer to look (and act) the same -- same facias, same signs, same colors and layouts, etc. Now they're doing the same thing with the websites. Just part of the game, should you so choose to play!

I second being beyond frustrated with Dealer.com. I have been trying for weeks to get them to upload the videos of our inventory to YouTube. Nothing. I have never dealt with such run around in my entire life.

DDC = Website company

Videos and Youtuve = check these guys: SiSTeR Technologies

They have the patent on images to video technology (so maybe DDC buys it from them...)

DDC = Website company

Videos and Youtuve = check these guys: SiSTeR Technologies

They have the patent on images to video technology (so maybe DDC buys it from them...)

Actually, DDC is a digital marketing company that helps dealers enhance the properties they own. The core idea behind the products DDC offers is to help a dealer make his own website and business perform better. When there are products that work outside of a dealer's property, DDC works to help those tools draw a consumer back to the dealer's website or get the consumer to submit a lead when that option isn't available.

YouTube is a captive audience. Yes, there are ways to embed links on a YouTube page and do sneaky things inside comments, but it isn't standard practice for YouTube visitors to follow those links. Nor is there a way for a consumer to submit a lead to a dealer directly from YouTube. The DDC video capability is optimized for the audience on a dealer's website.

I believe Matt Murray offered some insight into YouTube and DDC in an early post within this thread.