• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

I'm not a PC - joined the darkside!

It's only by necessity... and Windows works great in VM. Sun's Virtual Box is a decent free alternative to the others. Other than AutoBase and LMCC, (which actually works in Ubuntu) I do everyting else on Leopard. If you call support on most of what we use, and say "Apple", you can hear crickets... :freak:

Our BDC and I use Ubuntu, believe it or not. Since we are technically on this route of "cloud computing," Ubuntu is something that can be used on certain machines at dealerships that are made for that specific purpose (lead management, browsing website, email blasting, data entry, etc). I run Ubuntu because I am a fanboy :) - Running Windows XP SP3 in a VM (VirtualBox), and I'm running CS4 and Office 07 seamlessly in Wine (windows emulator for linux). Everyone else runs Windows at the dealership.

I made the switch from a home PC to the IMac in February of 2008. I have not regretted it. By necessity, I use a Windows laptop for business, but I have never had to go to the PC because the Mac wouldn't handle my tasks. I have been a PC junkie since windows 3.1, and still I find the Mac reliable, and easier to manage multiple processes.

Ubuntu 9.04 is nice, the new netbook release is very impressive. I like Linux Mint, it's a ready to roll version of Ubuntu that needs very little to be working right out of the box. LMCC runs natively on Ubuntu last time I tried. Wow, this sounds pretty geeky...:eek:

But I still am impressed with my little Mac Mini, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 gig DDR3 ram, quiet, (silent) sits on a shelf above the desk and offers up little drama. Ok, end Apple plug.

Happy Holidays to all!
Bill

Last edited:
@Alex Snyder Hope you are finding your Mac is still a pleasure to use. BlackBerry recently updated their software for Mac. It is FAR better than the Windows version. Effortless to backup and sync.

BlackBerry - Desktop Software for Mac

Most definitely! I have a badass PC at the house for gaming, and I haven't turned it on in weeks. Anyway, I'm becoming such the convert I'm probably going to flip from Blackberry to the iPhone. I'm using both side by side and the only thing I'm missing on the iPhone is mass "Mark Unread". However, the iPhone apps make up for just about any shortcoming.

Next purchase: 30" Apple monitor with a glass screen (if they ever make it). I'm loving the 24" one, but it just isn't enough real estate.