1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

It's 2019. What is a good Web Lead Close Rate? [Insert "yeah but our leads are different" here]

Discussion in 'CRM, ILM, Chat, Desking, Emails, Phone, SMS' started by Dan Sayer, Apr 24, 2019.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. jon.berna

jon.berna
    Expand Collapse
    D.R. Truth

First Name:
    Jon
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Driven Data
    Twitter Handle:
    Jon_Berna
    @joe.pistell@joe.pistell and @Dan Sayer@Dan Sayer I have a busy couple days. I will do an analysis when time permits. I have been following this conversation

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. Timothy Main

Timothy Main
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    Timothy
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Browning Automotive Group
    As a former E-Commerce Director for a 9 rooftop group in a major metro that also used Vin I have also seen the manually marked bad function used improperly.

In my a opinion a lead should only be manually marked bad if the lead received has bad or no contact information. If the lead has duplicate information to an existing customer record that the CRM did not catch, or the lead is a co buyer, or helping the actual buyer the lead should be merged.

Everything else is a lost lead.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BillH

BillH
    Expand Collapse
    Refresher

First Name:
    Bill
    Dealer or Company Name:
    MAG Florida
    Great conversation as usual. I'm curious, how do you manage lead sources that won't let you disable non productive leads, (TrueCar generic) that are not expecting contact, Cars.com leads that never engage, or purchased leads that want to know how you got their information?

In general, everyone I ask says "it's up to you, but be consistent". How do we get a real measurment if everyone has their own method? Currently, I'm looking at leads that don't open anything, say "don't contact me", or have bad data as a bad lead.

Thanks!

5. Dan Sayer

Dan Sayer
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Dan
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Anderson Auto Group, LLC
    Twitter Handle:
    @whostheman_dan
    Are you asking how to manage lead sources that don't buy ;)

We get in front of the leads sources that tend to get the most "I wasn't looking to buy" replies by using a track like "TrueCar provided us with your information..." or "Ford asked that we reach out to you..." since people seem to trust the TrueCar's and OEM's of the world more than the dealer. It takes the initial level of pissed down from a 10 to a 4. After that statement, then it is just a word-track like "well Bob, I'm obviously a sales person and would love to earn your business when you are ready on either a New or pre-owned vehicle for yourself or anyone you know....". That is a Lost Lead and still gets added to the email marketing list.

For "don't open", you can't make that determination since not all email providers enable read-receipts. I would look at the quality of the Day 1 reply and contact if you get a lot of non-responsive leads. Regardless, if there wasn't a hard bounce on the email and/or the phone number wasn't bad, those are also Lost leads and stay in our marketing list. My rules are basically what @Timothy Main@Timothy Main said above. One other item that I have discovered over the years is your people need to be aware of which lead providers have the phone field as a Required fill. If a shopper wants to contact us via Form/Email and isn't ready for a Phone call, they may put in a bogus number just to get the Form to submit...

You are exactly right with your statement, @BillH@BillH, "How do we get a real measurement if everyone has their own method?"

6. John.H

John.H
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    John
    There's no real way for us to track show rates, as we are a vendor, and not on the sales side. We don't instruct the dealers we work with to track any other metric other than vehicles sold from our advertisements. However, we are on our way to create a platform which will track leads to appointments, appointments to walk-in, and walk-in to sold.

Which will be crucial for our success, and our partners success as well.

7. John.H

John.H
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    John
    I don't think any lead is a lost cause. Contact information is invaluable in the sales world, no matter what sub-industry you're from. Just look at affiliate promotions online - these people THRIVE from building lists for mass SMS outreach, email blasting, and typically remarket to these consumers quite frequently.

The real problem is how this information is handled. And I'm telling you, email marketing is not where you want things to start. I would argue that this is the last step that should be used in your outreach process, when contacting a dead lead.

SMS is booming right now. And if you're not sending out mass messages to your dead lead lists, you could be missing out on some awesome sale opportunities.

We use SMS automation to schedule appointment, send out appointment reminders, get leads to schedule appointments. And let me tell you, it works fantastic! Learn more about that by clicking HERE

8. craigh

craigh
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

First Name:
    Craig
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Vicimus Inc
    Twitter Handle:
    craighooghiem
    Have to be careful with SMS though.
    Those laws are coming in hot and fast.

Up here in Canada you can't do jack with SMS unless you want to pay the fines.
    I've seen a few cases come and go - sometimes the dealer wins, sometimes they lose.
    Automating the messages appears to be part of what leads to a loss. If the messages are sent manually they tend to be "compliant".

https://www.tatango.com/blog/consumers-receive-up-to-675-in-lithia-motors-sms-spam-lawsuit/

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dan Sayer

Dan Sayer
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Dan
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Anderson Auto Group, LLC
    Twitter Handle:
    @whostheman_dan
    No thanks, I practice CYA. Mass texting is a no go with us. Precedent was already set years ago with lawsuits in the millions i.e. https://www.autonews.com/article/20...9993/lithia-faces-2-5-million-tab-for-texting

We do have a Day 1 texting process for all leads that follows the law. Yes, it is the best contact rate channel.

• Like Like x 2
  10. John.H

John.H
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    John
    What we've done to be compliant, when sending SMS messages to these people automatically, is getting consent prior to sending messages.

That's the awesome thing about generating your own Leads. You can put them through your own landing pages, which notifies the user that they'll be subscribing to an SMS sequence. So if you have a vendor generating leads, or if you do so internally, this might be something you want to consider if implementing SMS automation.

SMS & Email spam are both very illegal. And although there are clear laws outlining the issues for both methods of messaging, such as CAN SPAM & TCPA, very few get charged for disobeying. All in all, there are many ways to be compliant - including messaging people manually.

11. craigh

craigh
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

First Name:
    Craig
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Vicimus Inc
    Twitter Handle:
    craighooghiem
    I don't disagree with this, but it's also still risky. All it takes is one customer who knows their rights and didn't opt-in and you've got a lawsuit.

This is just bad advice. Literally just spam.