• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Low Cost Live Chat Software

bmwbirdman,

I have yet to pull the trigger on Chat. I ran an experiment for the cars.com chats for my stores and I end up being a info-getter, not an appointment-maker. NOT GOOD.

I believe our team needs Chat scripts and chat training. How did you get there?

thoughts?

Our company sponsors a Live Chat Tips and Techniques Blog.

The tips are not specific to any one chat product, and there is a lot of great info for those seeking to become more effective at using chat to sell more cars. Take and give - learn from what's already posted there and if you have some good tips of your own please add them.

That's a good looking blog with some good articles too. Thanks for this one: DealerRefresh Launches Forum That Includes Live Chat Thread | Auto Dealer Live Chat Software Tips & Techniques Blog

OK, you are at the point where we were at one time and then I thought about it and decided this is a give and take situation. Contact at Once is the only chat I would consider and the reason is I need to see how my people are doing with the chats so I can help them fine tune. I get a copy of every transcript and quickly scan through them. When I see a chat that is very long or I see one of my guys who consistantly has very long chats I call them in for a one on one. We talk about the purpose of the chat. The customer likes it because it gives them the opportunity to keep you from pressuring them into anything so their goal is to get their information and close the chat. If you let them lead you it will result in failure every time. Take control. For starters always give them your name and ask for their name early in the chat. Use there first name to make it more personal. Contact at once allows you to custom create statements so I have created some very easy ones. I hate to give up too many trade secrets but here is one of them.

I.E. A customer asks you if the car is still available: I will be happy to get that information for you Jim. Since we are a large volume dealer our inventory changes several times a day so the only way I can be sure the car is still here is to check the lot and call you right back. Please give me your name and the best number to call you and an email address so I can send you a picture of the car. I will have you an answer within 15 minutes. By the way my name is Joe Smith and my personal cell phone number is 555-555-1212 so in case we have trouble connecting please call me directly.

If they dump the chat at this point you either had another dealer or you probably had someone who is just kicking tires or possibly a kid. If they were a serious buyer they want the information and they are willing to take the next step to get it. Many of the longer chats are where you make the mistake of letting them know that you can pull up all the records on the car from your computer. This is the kiss of death! Instead let them know that we keep folders on all our cars and if you will give me your name, phone number, and email address I will get the folder and call you right back. We do, by the way, keep folders on our cars with carfax, service history, etc...

Make sure you have the business card pull down on your site. Before we did this we didn't get near as many chats. People like to see a picture of who they are chatting with. I know it sounds crazy but trust me it works!

By the way. The chat is not designed to set appointments. You have to convert them to a phone call for that. Setting appointments with chat is kind of like giving someone a haircut over the phone. You won't like the results!

BMW Bird Man at your service.

bmwbirdman,

I have yet to pull the trigger on Chat. I ran an experiment for the cars.com chats for my stores and I end up being a info-getter, not an appointment-maker. NOT GOOD.

I believe our team needs Chat scripts and chat training. How did you get there?

thoughts?

The best chat service I've used is ActivEngage for many reasons. I do disagree with Birdman. If you use ActivEngage's hosted service, their goal (which they succeed at 99% of the time) is getting the "lead" for you (ie. name, email address, phone). However, when I do the chat, I go for the appt. It works! I don't know why Birdman doesn't think it will work. I'm also in high-line cars and my customers love the ability to chat with me, get information and schedule and appt. Most of them are just busy people and this gives them a way to connect with you. I have a great show ration on chat-made appointments. Yes, you should get their information before you try for the appt but remember, it's a give a little - get a little attitude. They want information - you want information. For every nugget you give them, ask them for some. It works. As for people who dump the chats aren't serious or they are dealers, with ActivEngage, you can see who they are live in real-time. You can see where theyve been on your website, how long they've been there, what pages they've navigated to and you can see their IP address live. When the IP originates from another dealer, obviously you probably have a dealer. Another cool thing is that you can see if they've chatted before and what there name is so you can say "Hi, John. Nice to chat with you again" (or whatever).

Chat gives you a non-threatening method of communication that is a step up from e-mail in that the customer gets instant responses and the salesperson gets a live conversation. If trained properly, the salesperson can use the live interaction with the customer much more effectively than he could an email. Yes, the customer can dump the chat but can't they do the same with an email (ie. not respond). The difference is that at least you got the customer while he/she was hot for information and had the opportunity to interact with them in real-time. Chat is another avenue through which a customer can use to interact with your dealership. You should give the customer as many options as possible and let them choose how THEY want to interact with you, not how YOU want to interact with them. If you (or your salespeople) don't have time to sit at a computer waiting for someone to chat (which you hopefully shouldn't) or they don't know how to chat effectively to get the information, you should use the hosted chat services. They monitor and do the chats and get the information for you. You also get transcripts from ActivEngage.

I believe it's much harder to interact with someone via chat if you don't know how. With email, you have time to carefully create your responses. With chat, you must be fluid and knowledgeable. You can't really "wing it".

Anyways, I don't know too much about the other services but I would definitely recommend the following:

• Use chat a service to your customers and a way for them to contact you
  • Use a hosted chat service - it saves time and money and you dont have to worry about your salespeople screwing it up
  • I recommend ActivEngage for the many things they offer in addition to just being a chat client

We've seen direct sales from chats that more than pay for the service and we've seen service and parts business from it also. There are so many things that people will use chat for that you should look at chat as you would a phone line to your store. It's not just for sales.

Last edited: