#RefreshFriday Merchandizing - Someone is Launching a new Service | Joe Pistell

Here's an audit of 538 VINs
1695754792867.png
Anyone see a trend?
  • 2009's average 8 wow-factor features p/VIN.
  • 2023's average 23 wow-factor features p/VIN.
Consider this:
--in the @CarDealershipGuy's private buying service, Safety was the #1 requested feature category
--All Safety tech is invisible to the camera. <--IMPORTANT

Candidly (sorry Young Ryan Everson) while you feel this design looks rather dated...
1695755208573.png
The CVNA feature UX is avail to the mother site only, and requires the user to pogo-stick in and out.

Our stupidly simple system is syndication friendly. It's a force multiplier, it's seen on Cars, Trader, Gurus, Socials, etc, AND it lives within the photo carousel UX (where 70% of VDP time is spent).

p.s. I am SUPER open to new design ideas

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark A Hoffman
  1. VDP / SRP CTR %
  2. Leads / VDP Conversion %

From my seat, Engagements & Leads:
  1. Phone call to the store during store hours would be the most treasured outcome.
  2. time on VDP,
  3. number of photos viewed,
  4. scroll depth,
  5. interaction with shopper knowledge tools like payment calculators, trade in calculators, dealer maps and more.
  6. lead gen
My most cherished goals:
  1. Reduced Age ratios (i.e. share of inventory that is >60 days)
  2. Higher Inventory Velocity (turns)
  3. NVRR (New Visitor Return Rate)*
  4. Aggregators: Reduced cost p/VDP, p/Lead
*The most desireable digital KPI is NVRR.

Last edited:
It's why DR failed. How do you improve it?

I've been thinking about this a lot, but I told myself I wouldn't work on it until I got a couple other projects out of the way. But in the spirit of impulsiveness I think I'll share some of my ideas and maybe work on this in the open with fellow DR members cause I think a lot of the real work with DR is more operational. I think the customer side is actually pretty easy.

So way back I had an idea to build a dealer website platform in a similar fashion to Shopify. Complete with a pseudo "App Store", shared promotion assets, etc. But it was just too big of a project to do solo in my spare time. Anyways, I watched the whole DR stuff come and go, but I always thought you know, I think this a problem worth solving. If anyone here follow Naval Ravikant, I always loved this quote: "You will get rich by giving society what it wants but does not yet know how to get". Ironically, I was calling the platform "Dealer Commerce".

Fast forward to today and I think there's 2 major problems with DR.

1. Nobody wants to use it
2. Everyone is doing the same thing

Today car buyers suffer from the same problem they had at Disney World. They don't want to wait. Disney customers will actually pay extra to not have to wait. What's this ultimately mean? Customers want a more productive car buying experience.

Idea #1. Dealer Wallet Passes

Call it a FastPass, DealerPass, whatever. It's a QR code that gets added to your smartphone wallet. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Customer is on the site. Finds a car they're interested in. See information about an expedited sales process and clicks to learn more. Enter their basic information, opt-in for a simple soft credit pull (that more or less returns a FICO score from their info (email -> fall back to SSN). This is all a slick process requiring the user to enter minimal info.
2. Pass is created, dealer is notified, pass also sent to customers email. Also important is customer is required to bring valid form of ID. Dealer is aware there's a hit on that specific vehicle. Backend system also determines similar vehicles (by using data from behavior analytics).
3. Customer visits dealer, explains they have FastPass for expedited process. Sales person opens their phone, scans the QR code as well as valid ID barcode/QR code. Customer information sent to CRM/DMS/Desking. Sales person see's customer information, basic credit profile, vehicles they've browsed along with similar vehicles other people looked at.

That's the gist of it. There's a few things happening here. The customer is already primed to hand over their information but it's seamless AND they're getting something in return; the expectation that when they say "Yes", they're fast tracked to take delivery ASAP. When the customer scans the pass, any traffic source that brought them to the site get's the sale. No more exit survey -- you know the referrer for that customer and that's encoded in the pass.

There's two steps I didn't include and that's because I'm unsure how it works. From previous experience, though, when I've said "Yes", I had to wait for the car to be cleaned up and wait for finance.

If you want to expedite this process - when the pass is created and the dealer is notified, operationally this is an opportunity to get the car cleaned up. As far as the finance process goes I'm not sure if they have to wait or if their sales person can handle this. There's a lot of things that can occur here so I'm gonna leave that for some DR discussion. But I think a process similar to how Apple adopted in their retail stores. There's no checkout line. Your salesperson handles it. Ideally this creates a lot more efficiency in this process and also allows the sales person more opportunity on upsells for financial products. But it might be like this at all dealers for a reason so idk.

Idea #2. More Efficient Website

Build the site around a pseudo eCommerce model. When I land on the site, I shouldn't have to click off to whatever New/Used. Just make the homepage the store. Design the site around a "Jobs to be Done" model. I'm either buying a car, researching the dealer, or scheduling service. Assess the most common use cases and deliver a slick on boarding experience.

Which brings up the most important part:

There is no bridge between online and offline sales in car buying. During Covid - it was the phone. But customers still want to scope out other cars and have a productive delivery experience. What they don't want to do is fill out paper forms, wait for credit approvals, sit at a desk or wait for finance.

Making the process more efficient for both the buyer and seller helps both parties get what they want. And I think operationally for dealers and sales people, can help with the staggering amount of hours they have to hang at the dealership for. More on that later!

I'd love to make this happen though. If someone else beats me to it - fair game! Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

• Useful
Reactions: craigh
I like your ideas and explanations Chris! Someday, I hope you find the time and budget to implement some of this.

My challenge to you is to think about how you can give customers access to someone(thing) with the answers to their questions that will result in a showroom visit/appointment. Your ideas could be used as call to actions or hooks to facilitate the pre-dealership-visit conversation.

Reactions: Chris Cachor
@Chris Cachor We're both a student of Dr Christenson's "Jobs to be Done" :) Here's my thesis on DR's failure.
Digital Retailing (DR) low usage rate reveals to us how shitty the internet is at solving the car shoppers 100's of questions (see JD Power Chart above).

Design Challenge: We as an industry, forget how complex car shopping is.

Car Shoppers want Collaborative Retailing (CR), a shopping cart (i.e. Digital Retailing) is wanted only if the shopper has all questions answered. CR brings the dealer's product expert out onto the internet. From my seat, the DR conversion rate fix is weak because car shoppers have too many unsolved questions. In the "Jobs to be Done" mindset, if you help the car shopper answer their questions, you'll have removed friction in their shopping.

Looking for ideas to improve your site?
Walk the lots of the most successful Digital Retailers out there:
https://www.carmax.com/cars/6043?includenontransferables=true
Used Cars Online | Touchless Delivery Available

NO LEAD GEN SPAM.
Carvana is a roofless dealership and they have an army of call center reps.
CarMax's website is delivering amazing shopper knowledge assistance and hammers mome the "risk transfer" (i.e. 30 day money back)

Last edited:
While Exploring SRP-to-VDP click thru ratios (red line), here is a cars.com plot that is very interesting.
1696428744910.png
Logically, I would have expected that if >50% of the inventory is in the GREAT DEAL bucket (blue line), the SRP/VDP ratios (red line) would rise and fall with the GREAT DEAL ratios.

Why?
--Bad Cars Data?
--Cars SRP default "Best Match" algo does NOT give priority to 'Great Deals' (vs 'gurus leading with Great Deals)

From my seat, this chart is illogical AND CONCERNING. Interestingly, over time, the SRP/VDP ratio is stuck in a tight range. I'll compare this to Gurus.

Anyone else gone down this rabbit hole? Please share.

Last edited: