1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

My Rant about DealerInspire.

Discussion in 'I'm Angry and Need to GRIPE!' started by Rick Buffkin, May 6, 2019.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. Rick Buffkin

Rick Buffkin
    Expand Collapse
    Sausage King of Chicago

First Name:
    Rick
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Beaman Automotive Group
    Hi Dan. It's on both our Toyo and CDJR site. Looking deeper and further into it, it appears they are using Measurement Protocol (MP) to push events into GA for all leads that occur on the site (including Conversations and OS as well) and I assume that is the default browser that script inserts. This does give the Analytics team the option to use page destinations and/or events as Goals in GA. I don't know why they need to use MP for this though. We have destinations setup as some goals, CTC Events and they could easily use cross domain measurement via the analytics.js for OS. My biggest question to your team would be, are they creating new sessions, Client ID's, etc... via the MP push into GA or are they using the same session data. It appears they are creating some new sessions when they push the events.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. Dan Schroeder

Dan Schroeder
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    Dan
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Dealer Inspire
    Thanks Rick, this does look to be specific to leads from OS. We are gathering some more details and then we will give you a call to discuss. I want to make sure we have the right people to address your concerns on the call and see what we can do to avoid any interference with your GA reporting.

4. Rick Buffkin

Rick Buffkin
    Expand Collapse
    Sausage King of Chicago

First Name:
    Rick
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Beaman Automotive Group
    Here we are again. A Lightning inventory issue. It works great as long as you don't use a filter and have to text the link to a customer. With this URL structure you can forget about texting inventory links to your customer once you apply a filter (ex: trim, bodystyle, color, etc..). The text messenger apps don't seem to like links with arrays and positions in them!
    https://www.beamantoyota.com/new-ve...]=SE&_dFR[type][0]=New&_paymentType=our_price

This is what shows up in your text messenger app on your phone. Notice how the link is broken (how many ppl are using mobile??)!! Something else you need to think about when you're looking at these products. As far as I can tell, there is no fix for this unless you simply go with the traditional inventory layout. @Dan Schroeder@Dan Schroeder, do you guys have any solutions for this issue???

upload_2019-9-5_19-39-35.png

#53 Rick Buffkin, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  5. craigh

craigh
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

First Name:
    Craig
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Vicimus Inc
    Twitter Handle:
    craighooghiem
    You need to use URL encoded versions of square brackets. The standard was changed due to IPV6 and they should update to reflect that. When you text the URL you need to escape [ with %5B and ] with %5D.

[type] will be %5Btype%5D

Ref: RFC 2732 https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2732.txt

You can write a tool to encode it for you before sending, as annoying as that is.

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. Rick Buffkin

Rick Buffkin
    Expand Collapse
    Sausage King of Chicago

First Name:
    Rick
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Beaman Automotive Group
    Thanks @craigh@craigh. They should seriously think about putting you on payroll bro. It just baffles me that everyone one talks about mobile first this, mobile first that. You're behind times if you're not thinking mobile first. Yada, yada, yada... Here we are with the basic of basics. I want to text a link to a customer for a filtered search result for a model and trim level and I can't. Why does it matter how fast the inventory loads if the links don't work. It's a lightning halt.

[​IMG]

#55 Rick Buffkin, Sep 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Chris Cachor

Chris Cachor
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Chris
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Dealer Commerce
    Twitter Handle:
    ccachor2
  8. Dan Schroeder

Dan Schroeder
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    Dan
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Dealer Inspire
    iOS devices properly encode those URLs, but it looks like Android’s messenger is not doing so.

However, we are making a change to escape the brackets in the address to solve the issue.

In the meanwhile I’d recommend using bitly or something similar to shorten and encode the URLs and use those links to share with customers, but this should be updated shortly.

We appreciate this type of feedback, so please feel free to contact Bruce or myself anytime to discuss snags!

#57 Dan Schroeder, Sep 6, 2019
  9. Rick Buffkin

Rick Buffkin
    Expand Collapse
    Sausage King of Chicago

First Name:
    Rick
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Beaman Automotive Group
    Thanks @Dan Schroeder@Dan Schroeder. This has been a major thorn in the side. Not just with Text Messaging but with email as well.