• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

My Rant about DealerInspire.

I don't know how Online Shopper works but can they install the GA tracking code (with cross domain analytics) on the Online Shopper site instead of injecting the data into GA?
Roadster supports cross domain analytics and they install the GA code on all their pages. They also fire off GA Events when certain actions are taken. This provides one seamless view between Roadster and the dealer website and preserves the visitor data too.

We have been using Dealer Inspire for almost four months. This has been the most frustrating experience with a website vendor ever. Google loves WordPress, and DI sites are WordPress based, so we made the switch. I'm not going to get into all the issues we have had from onboarding to now.

I do not understand HTML or how to write it. I did all the DI training about building pages, but none of them explain anything helpful. Like how to create columns in sections, or how to add a button. The Shortcode thing on DI has nothing in it, so that's unhelpful. So I end up going to different websites to try to figure out the code for different things, but it is like reading a different language. When I find something and try it and then it doesn't work half the time. I did go to that site I saw on here https://getbootstrap.com/docs/3.3/css/#responsive-utilities but again I don't understand it. It takes hours to build a page when it takes a few minutes with any other vendor we have used. For reference, I have used Dealer E Process, CDK, Dealer.com, E-Carlist, and Dominion.

I have asked DI for help, and have not received any. I got an email back saying someone is assigned and should be reaching out, but that was two days ago and nothing. (typical) I did email them again today.

Reactions: craigh
Hey Aimee,
Welcome to the wonderful world of WordPress, where everything is "so easy" and "there's a plugin for that" is the solution to most problems. It can be very frustrating at times.

That said, is there something you're trying to accomplish? If you want some help getting page layouts to work or you're looking to do something in particular I'm happy to help. It takes a bit of adjustment for sure, but there is alot of power and flexibility there.

PS: I don't work for DI, I've just been using WordPress since before they were born.

PPS: The weight Google gives to WordPress at this point is a bit overrated. Content is king and WordPress does a good job of following best practices, but without good content it's not going to make a difference.

Reactions: ChrisR and Aimee
Hey Aimee,
Welcome to the wonderful world of WordPress, where everything is "so easy" and "there's a plugin for that" is the solution to most problems. It can be very frustrating at times.

That said, is there something you're trying to accomplish? If you want some help getting page layouts to work or you're looking to do something in particular I'm happy to help. It takes a bit of adjustment for sure, but there is alot of power and flexibility there.

PS: I don't work for DI, I've just been using WordPress since before they were born.

PPS: The weight Google gives to WordPress at this point is a bit overrated. Content is king and WordPress does a good job of following best practices, but without good content it's not going to make a difference.
Yes, please! DI would only pull over so many pages from the old site, so I am having to remake a lot of pages that we lost in the switch. I thought it would be easy... I was wrong. Right now I am trying to make a two-column bulleted list and I want it to be centered in the middle of the page. I know it will look different on mobile ( just a bulleted list)

Hey Aimee,

I don't work for DI either, but I'm a web developer professionally and I'd strongly argue this is what you're paying DI to do. And you're paying them a small fortune every month for them to not be helping you out with this. Is there a number to call? It's good you brought it to the forums here because I can guarantee you'll get follow up quick :) I like your resourcefulness but this is what you pay them for!

Reactions: craigh
If it helps - there are likely content extraction tools to point at Wayback Machine. What's your site address?

I PM'd her about the centered lists, but I think this is the site:
https://www.braddeery.com/

I don't know that the Wayback Machine is going to have many of the subpages, as that's typically hit or miss.
Google / Bing Cache sometimes have pages as well, but again that's really hit or miss.

I think best case scenario is getting a page that works well with the layout she wants and duplicating it for each content page.

Hi Cris,

Craig PM'd me.. Thank you guys for your help! That is the correct website. From what I understand to have them create pages is additional charges. We do not use them for SEO or anything besides the site itself.

I generally pick up things pretty quickly or can find articles/ videos that explain what I'm trying to learn. This has not been the case with this.

Hello Aimee,
I also don't work for DI (I work for another website company!)
One of the wonderful things about Wordpress is the versatility and if DI supports this, they can swap out your HTML editor to something that's more drag and drop, maybe something like Elementor. There's a ton out there.
I hope this helps.