1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

NADA 2019 - who's going?

Discussion in 'Off Topic & Everything Else' started by Alex Snyder, Jan 7, 2019.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder
    Expand Collapse
    President Skroob

First Name:
    Alex
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    axsnyder
    Although neither @Jeff Kershner@Jeff Kershner nor I will be there this year we hope the community can find each other at the show. Who's going and who's going to catch up?

2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. Mitch Gallant

Mitch Gallant
    Expand Collapse
    Refresh Team

First Name:
    Mitch
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Capital Auto Group
    Twitter Handle:
    mitch_4
    First time since about 8 years ago I'll be there. All GM's and controllers from our group are heading down for our quarterly meeting and to take in the show. Not sure what to expect and have tried to plan it out a bit but it's mind bending.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Alexander Lau

Alexander Lau
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Alex
    Looks fun, but nah... I'm out of that elbow-rubbing, pay-to-play shindig gang. Just like we discussed with DDs, very few vendors land clients at these things. I'm unsure why the small to mid-sized vendors attend to be honest...? Unless their captains are speaking or an attempt to seem relevant. The vendor groups that I worked for found it a waste of money. TBH.

Dealers on the other hand, maybe they find solutions at the break out sessions...? Those can be fruitful, IMO.

#3 Alexander Lau, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  5. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder
    Expand Collapse
    President Skroob

First Name:
    Alex
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    axsnyder
    I've seen entire quarters of sales projections get hit at NADA. It can be quite lucrative for a vendor who knows how to work to the show ahead of time and lands the proper pitch on the show floor. As a vendor myself, the biggest value at a few NADAs was working out new integration agreements. As a dealer, it was getting better acquainted with the vendors I already worked with and meeting other like-minded dealers.

The NADA show is fantastic IMO. The only issue I have with it is the date - too many flight problems happen too often in January/February.

Where I assume you're coming from, @Alexander Lau@Alexander Lau is a history of sales and marketing teams not doing a proper job around NADA. For example, DealerRefresh should be littered with NADA messaging saying to come see this new "doodad" or meet some special person in the booth. Instead, you're only seeing @MollyCurry@MollyCurry's effort. The war drum seems silent to me. I'm not seeing much on the airwaves.

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. Alexander Lau

Alexander Lau
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Alex
    Good points and that very well could be it. Self-admittedly, lack of floor experience, lack of automotive sales knowledge (starting from top) = see my VC comments on that stuff, lack of strategy. By and large, I've heard more negative than positive, but there has to be reasons behind it.

7. Justin

Justin
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    Justin
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Gubagoo
    Twitter Handle:
    Jraff954
    I can attest to that. For the company I work for when I was doing the support side for the last two years and we would get so many new accounts signed and processed at the show it was mind blowing. Now being on the sales side this will be my first time going to NADA. Any tips from my seniors in the industry that would be useful to know? Admittedly, I have never been to a conference in general but I can work a crowd for sure (I know this may be off topic but thought it may be pertinent since we are speaking to NADA).

8. Zhendrix

Zhendrix
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Zach
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Shift Digital
    Twitter Handle:
    zhendrix
    I'll be there. I enjoy NADA.. Beyond the new solutions it's a great opportunity to see old faces and meet new ones. I tend to have a lot in common with the folks who are passionate about this industry so it's great to be around like-minded individuals. @Alexander Lau@Alexander Lau you can come with me but if you say something negative then you have to put $.25 into the worry jar. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Alexander Lau

Alexander Lau
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Alex
    If you're paying, surely. However, if I see some bullshit vendor product there and there's always a good bit of them each year, I'm bound to say "what's the point, if it doesn't sell cars or assist in the process? (DISC)" To steal a line from @joe.pistell@joe.pistell. It's not about negativity, it's about give me a frickin' break ripping off dealers. That jar might get awfully full and quickly. :-)

Edit: I once contracted with an "auto agency" and sat in a booth at both NADA and DD (kind of a hired hitman) and their offerings were complete scams. One regret I have. Truth...

#8 Alexander Lau, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Zhendrix

Zhendrix
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Zach
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Shift Digital
    Twitter Handle:
    zhendrix
    Hence the worry jar idea. I got a feeling I could pay for you and you would fill my jar up enough to recoup my investment and provide a decent return.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. ryan.leslie

ryan.leslie
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Ryan
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRater
    Twitter Handle:
    jrleslie
    I will not be going to NADA this year due to a prior commitment Saturday evening with a charity that is near and dear to my heart.

So...

I'll be free to demo CarStory's newest tool to identify all of the missing features in your merchandising ALL DAY Thursday and Friday. Feel free to drop a convenient meeting time on my calendar through the following link: https://calendly.com/jryanleslie/carstory-demo

You don't need to be at NADA to get the NADA Special!!! (is this what you meant @Alex Snyder@Alex Snyder ;) )

• Funny Funny x 1