• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

NADA 2019 - who's going?

Looks fun, but nah... I'm out of that elbow-rubbing, pay-to-play shindig gang. Just like we discussed with DDs, very few vendors land clients at these things. I'm unsure why the small to mid-sized vendors attend to be honest...? Unless their captains are speaking or an attempt to seem relevant. The vendor groups that I worked for found it a waste of money. TBH.

Dealers on the other hand, maybe they find solutions at the break out sessions...? Those can be fruitful, IMO.
Vendors write business at NADA. Smaller, more internet-centric conferences, not so much. The difference is more decision makers (Dealer Principals and General Managers) attend NADA.

Reactions: craigh
NADA is a can't-miss for me, 2019 will be year-25.

Is the show worth it for vendors? If you manage expenses, and work your tail off. Back in the Dealer Specialties hey-days of the early 2000's, we worked our teams hard, or we sent them home. We were assertive, aggressive, if the other booths weren't complaining about us, we were being too timid. Our goal with our humble (but busy) 10 x 20 foot booth was 500 badge scans. This filled our pipeline for the busy Spring selling selling season. Some were serious prospects, others fogged our mirror, but our outside sales teams attacked each one as a prime prospect. A reason to make a sales call. @ggarvin and I could write a book on the subject!

Why NADA? Networking, product demos, dealer meetings, etc., everyone is there (vs. spotted attending smaller conferences), so a great one-stop yearly show, plus the cost is very reasonable IMO.

Thanks @Alex Snyder for the pitch-pass :) Hey Refreshers, if you know dealers who are potentially driving blind with their digital marketing spending, I can help heal their vision. I don't resell or get product spiffs, my motivation is results for the dealer. No-charge initial assessment for dealers who are serious, bring it! www.generationsdigital.com

Hope to see many of the great folks who help me, in and out of this forum, all year long. Thank you!

It'd be great to see some verifiable stats / data on that claim. I get the decision maker parts, that's a good point, higher profiles.
I've worked a number of NADA conventions as well as smaller shows like Digital Dealer. The amount of business that is written at NADA is considerably larger than the smaller shows. It's worth noting that many DPs attend NADA and come home and then inform their BDC Manager or Digital Marketing Director that they spent a sizeable amount of the budget on X, Y, or Z.
Because that's what decision makers do.

We are going to do something a little different this year. We don't normally have a booth as we don't like to compete with our resellers on the floor. So this year we are expanding our dealer Lunch & Learn Series for dealers that want to learn something they won't see at an NADA session or booths. It's also going to be at a unique venue at a time when nothing much else is going on.

I posted the official PR in the News section here on the forum.

I'm also considering hosting a small cigar event for at the same venue as there's an outside terrace that overlooks the city.

nada-sfo-lunch-learn-front_back.png

Last edited:
First time since about 8 years ago I'll be there. All GM's and controllers from our group are heading down for our quarterly meeting and to take in the show. Not sure what to expect and have tried to plan it out a bit but it's mind bending.

@Mitch Gallant sorry to be missing you. It's been way too long.

Reactions: Mitch Gallant
Hello! Yes, my business partner, and I, will going to the show this year. I can't say I have every been to NADA or any conference like this in the past. We will be going to see what new offerings are on the table and perhaps link up with other above board vendors who may be able to integrate our services into their own. I am also interested in learning about the general sate of the industry first hand from those who live it everyday. If we can learn what challenges they are facing and what opportunities they are struggling to convert we can help them succeed. If I run into an interested dealer along the way, great. But like I said, I am going mostly for the business education and perhaps forming a few vendor partnerships along the way.