• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
...that the wrong products, the wrong prices, or worse, a strong competitor will cause it's shoppers to NOT deeply engage with the products.

...and shopper engagement is highly tied to digital MERCHANDISING work. Dealers know photos sell cars, upgrades are nearly universal. At some point the classified sites and websites will begin to support and promote hi-res images.

HAHA How would ChatGPT answer Ebenn?

1st, you need to prompt ChatGPT to understand the setting of the conversation:
You are a retailer of automobiles. You are wise leader. On social media someone posted this. Craft a reply that is snarky & sarcastic and add humor

ChatGPT Reply:
"Oh, you're worried about VDP's? Don't worry, we've got plenty of those. In fact, we've got so many we're using them as wallpaper in our physical showroom. But you're right, who cares about those pesky things? I mean, it's not like they're an important metric for determining a vehicle's popularity or anything. Oh wait, never mind. Our bad. But hey, at least we have a physical showroom where you can come and see the cars in person, unlike those pesky online-only dealers. So, come on down and check it out. We promise not to use the VDP's as coasters for your coffee."
That reply is 100% @Alex Snyder approved :) hahahahhaa
This is hilarious by the way

...and shopper engagement is highly tied to digital MERCHANDISING work. Dealers know photos sell cars, upgrades are nearly universal. At some point the classified sites and websites will begin to support and promote hi-res images.
Joe, do you also measure nav clicks on photos separately? Track which vehicles get people scrolling through photos and which do not, and try to decipher why?

Joe, do you also measure nav clicks on photos separately?

Great Q @ASuave. I very much want to track everything related to photo views, but, DealerOn support cant deliver this info. Forget asking the Big 3 aggregators (gurus, cars, AT), they can't give me basic VIN specific performance info (i.e. VDP views of a VIN over time).

I am a GA4 noob, possibly @George Nenni can help me discover ways to can address this.

...Track which vehicles get people scrolling through photos and which do not, and try to decipher why?

All of the data weakness I mentioned above is no help with your solid engagement questions.

But, in matters of UI/UX design*, this brings up an important observation what are you trying to create, where do you get your ideas. I am a student of Dr Clayton Christensen and his "jobs to be done" design framework [link]. Its incredibly simple and powerful.

For me, the majority of data is feedback to a design I'm exploring. Rarely does the data drive the design ideation.

*Ui = User Interface
*UX = User Experience

Last edited:
Great Q @ASuave. I very much want to track everything related to photo views, but, DealerOn support cant deliver this info. Forget asking the Big 3 aggregators (gurus, cars, AT), they can't give me basic VIN specific performance info (i.e. VDP views of a VIN over time).

I am a GA4 noob, possibly @George Nenni can help me discover ways to can address this.

All of the data weakness I mentioned above is no help with your solid engagement questions.

But, in matters of UI/UX design*, this brings up an important observation what are you trying to create, where do you get your ideas. I am a student of Dr Clayton Christensen and his "jobs to be done" design framework [link]. Its incredibly simple and powerful.

For me, the majority of data is feedback to a design I'm exploring. Rarely does the data drive the design ideation.

*Ui = User Interface
*UX = User Experience
Im not as familiar with DealerOn, but are you not able to track event nav clicks (maybe through GTM), and then turn those into a goal, to see which vehicles have people scrolling through peoples, vs. which do not?