• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Out with the Old and In with the New

Alex Magnan

Just Get'm In
Jul 2, 2012
Awards
First Name
Alex
We recently signed on with VinSolutions and are getting rid of the good old " paper log and prospect books ". This will be our first CRM to come into our store, so I'm expecting a big transition period. I was looking for input from anyone who is currently using them or has used them before for best practices for handling their ILM and the CRM all together. I'm more focused on how are the ISM's structuring their sales process and are you still using heavy template based follow ups? I have mixed feelings on the whole template process. Also what are some things that you like and don't like? We are very excited and any input would be great.

Be sure you work closely with the implementation team from Vinsolutions. Things don't always flow between your websites, DMS ect as you expect especially if you are on ERA. Also, make sure you have enough bandwidth at your location to run Vinsolutions CRM as it is a bandwidth hog. The fewer problems you experience at install the better your chances are of buy in when it goes live.

I'm always amazed by how many dealers sign up for VIN. Joey offers some solid advise. Be sure everything gets set up properly and is running to spec as much as possible before the installation team steps out the door. I'm not sure why this is but so many times I've seen a new CRM install become a complete nightmare for dealers. The initial install is so crucial for so many CRM's. The connection and set up with the DMS to plays such a huge role. This can be dependent on the DMS itself. I've seen CRM's never go right after a bad install.

No 2 dealers have the same set up in their DMS. Many do not have the infrastructure nor bandwidth for particular CRM's to work the way they're supposed to. I encourage dealers to not only research out other dealers that are using the CRM, but also have the same DMS (and close set up) and supporting infrastructure.

I'll second Jerry on contacting Joe Webb for training and consulting on process. I would also highly recommend Jerry's phone training and Mystrey shop service. It's a REAL eye opener and can be used to train your dealer on process and follow-up very quickly.

As with anything, you will get out what you put in.

Last edited:
Read Jeff's first paragraph ...twice.

I recently went through this. After the install, I found that sold customers were only in the CRM if they had been sold in the preceding 90 days. Any customer that had been in the old ILM over 90 days, I couldn't tell if they had been sold or not. Also, any customer that had been in the ILM for over 90 days became a duplicate record in the new CRM. One record came from the ILM and a duplicate record came from the DMS. Neither of those were marked sold. It made mass emails a cluster. You would be sending out duplicate emails to customer that you might have already sold. To make matters even worse. You couldn't tell which salesperson was responsible for that customer. The only fix was to manually match the records in the CRM to those in the DMS and eliminate the duplicates. If you want to do any data mining...how many years do you want to go back? That is how far back you need to go manually. This wasn't Vinsolutions but you would recognize the name.

The problem is that you have so much work to catch up with, after the install, you don't see the issues until long after the install group is gone. It will make you want to see some techs hanging from your light poles.

I have to admit, I'm always amazed by how many dealers sign up for VIN. Joey offers some solid advise. Be sure the everything get set up properly and is running to spec before the installation teams steps out the door. I'm not sure why this is but so many times I've seen a new CRM install become a complete nightmare for dealers. The install seems to be so crucial for so many CRM's. The connection and set up with the DMS seems to play such a huge role. Of course this can be dependent on the DMS itself. I've seen CRM's never go right after a bad install. ... As with anything, you will get out what you put in.

After hours post just to say Jeff is SO spot on (even if the iPad type-Os got a little rough this time).

I know the pain of going from all paper to a huge CRM system. Our DMS issues, however great, were thought to be understood, but like Doug noted, it wasn't until long after install all the issues were know. I've heard the 1st CRM is always the hardest move.

My advice would be to require all management to sit down and talk about what you do now and what each member would LIKE to have done in a perfect world. Getting on the same page and starting to map out processes is key. Joe Webb and Jerry both know their stuff and have great insights on process.

I personally wish we could have done a digital install and worked out issues for a few weeks via go-to meetings with support & managers 1to1 BEFORE getting it out to our sales team. Making sure the guys on the floor understand the value of the CRM and how doing all the steps properly and completely utilizing the tool is the only way it will work. We've had a lot of push back over the past 9 months; they moved into a new world of accountability-it's better for everyone; someone just has to make it understood.

Last edited:
What's the verdict? Thumbs up or thumbs down on the iPad mini?

Steve Jobs was a crazy man when he said anything smaller than the original iPad was too small. I've used my mini more over the last week than my iPad 2 over the last year. My mini hasn't left my side. Small enough to fit in and oversized pocket but large enough to do what I need to do with efficiency. Typing on the mini holding it vertically is easier than an iPhone. It's a great tablet experience.

Reactions: 2 people
The iPad Mini is awesome! :thumbup: to Jeff for getting me hooked on it.

As for CRM, a lot of great points have been made in here already. The first CRM is usually the most difficult because each CRM is built around philosophies. CRM is like inventory merchandising in the fact that the designer of the technology has opinions and experiences that helped him to shape the software. vAuto is a prime example of technology written around a philosophy. In a lot of ways CRM is the same, but not nearly as obvious. Because the software design has a core philosophy behind it the first CRM isn't just about installing, training, and utilization; it also adds the complexity of changing some of your business practices to fit around the software. And in most cases that's a good thing! CRM does force process and we can all use some help in getting more efficient process.

Some things to consider around data integration are all the pieces that are there for it. It stretches far beyond simply saying "the DMS."

• ADF Internet Leads
  • Text Internet Leads
  • OEM Internet Leads
  • Recorded Phone Calls
  • Inventory
  • Exported Data from old ILM
  • Exported Data from old CRM
  • DMS Sold data from accounting
  • DMS Service RO data
  • and many more

Before I started designing a CRM I never thought about all the pieces that really went into it....not during my dealer days. CRM and websites are the most complex integration hubs out there. And when it comes to the DMS that varies based on a number of things:

• You - how much you've customized your DMS system
  • Whether you're on a common DMS (ADP or ReyRey)
  • How well you've negotiated your DMS contract to have them store your DMS data for X years back
  • The integration point between the DMS and the software provider (certified or hostile*)
  • What of the DMS data is used/displayed in the CRM
  • along with some others

I can go on and on about integrations and DMS. But at the end of the day you shouldn't have to dive in too deep because your CRM provider should be able to handle a lot of this for you (with some guidance from you of course). It is best that you scratch the surface enough to know what questions to ask. This thread is serving as a great resource for that.

CRM is a complicated beast that requires patience and seriousness. You can't approach a CRM system simply by opening the check book and thinking more sales are going to happen. CRM requires commitment; it requires elbow grease.

*hostile vs certified DMS integrations each have their ups and downs. In the respect of this post already being too long I'll just say that certified integrations carry much higher costs that were just increased significantly. These costs can be passed on to the dealer in many cases, so be sure to ask about those up front. "Hostile," on the other hand, can get access to more data points and sometimes be faster to setup. Both carry value, but only one of them carries profits for DMS companies ;)

Reactions: 2 people