• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Outgoing calls using Click to Call are being marked as SPAM

john.quinn

Boss
Dec 2, 2009
Awards
First Name
John
After reading through this thread, I called da guy who pointed me to the reason:

There are defined mitigation strategies for STIR/SHAKEN.

John V.

Boss
Jan 15, 2015
Awards
First Name
John
did you purchase a local area code outbound call tracking number?

Mar 2, 2015
Awards
First Name
Matthew
We have CarWars, VIN Stores & eLead we are using local numbers, changing the numbers and it keeps happening, multiple times we've run into this with multiple stores. I've been told that it's carrier issues and for some reason there's nothing that can be done about it. It's up and down and inconsistent with some carriers, tMobile seems to be the worst.

• 1Like
Reactions: Teresa Bordenet

DrewAment

3rd Base Coach
Apr 30, 2009
First Name
Drew
It is not a 'carrier issue', is is not a 'your phone' issue - it has to do with the STIR/SHAKEN being more widely used (along with some providers using a database of common consumer reported numbers) - will continue to be a problem with "spoofing" of the numbers -- spoofing is how most call tracking companies accomplish outbound tracking. They are displaying the "dealer number" but actually dialing from another number.

The real question to ask yourself - is the tracking of outbound calls important to you? and does it really affect your business if you are not able to track (CRM checkbox) or listen (do you record?) your calls? Personally, I would stop using click-to-call, and just pay a stipend to let everyone use there own cell phone -- or just use the dealerships own phone system.

Frankly - with the new FTC rules including the implementation of STIR/SHAKEN, once more widely verified and implemented, in my opinion the networks are just going to start blocking non-authenticated calls. The call tracking companies have known this for over a year, but I have yet to see any definitive action taken to address or fix.

• 1Like
Reactions: Josh S
Aug 6, 2019
First Name
Teresa
It is not a 'carrier issue', is is not a 'your phone' issue - it has to do with the STIR/SHAKEN being more widely used (along with some providers using a database of common consumer reported numbers) - will continue to be a problem with "spoofing" of the numbers -- spoofing is how most call tracking companies accomplish outbound tracking. They are displaying the "dealer number" but actually dialing from another number.

The real question to ask yourself - is the tracking of outbound calls important to you? and does it really affect your business if you are not able to track (CRM checkbox) or listen (do you record?) your calls? Personally, I would stop using click-to-call, and just pay a stipend to let everyone use there own cell phone -- or just use the dealerships own phone system.

Frankly - with the new FTC rules including the implementation of STIR/SHAKEN, once more widely verified and implemented, in my opinion the networks are just going to start blocking non-authenticated calls. The call tracking companies have known this for over a year, but I have yet to see any definitive action taken to address or fix.
Hi, Drew!

A call tracking number is easy to swap out while we get lines registered and move closer to STIR/SHAKEN but a person's own number is much harder to mitigate.

Happy to talk through it one on one if you like!

Teresa
[email protected]

Aug 6, 2019
First Name
Teresa
We have CarWars, VIN Stores & eLead we are using local numbers, changing the numbers and it keeps happening, multiple times we've run into this with multiple stores. I've been told that it's carrier issues and for some reason there's nothing that can be done about it. It's up and down and inconsistent with some carriers, tMobile seems to be the worst.
We see a lot more Scam Likely from TMobile for sure.