• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Picture Quality

Dec 19, 2018
Awards
First Name
Bill
One of the biggest issues we deal with in regards to pictures is that not only do we not have a picture booth, we really don't have ANY good place to take pictures. We actually take pictures in our service drive because it seems to be the only place we can get any consistency. It of course has it's own problems be it getting in our service departments way, lighting or various reflections. We tried taking pictures outside now that we use a background service, but again there were some issues due to the sun. I was stalking some California dealers websites for a completely different reason and noticed that although it is obvious they are taking pictures in the sun, all of their pictures were very consistent and clean. I am wondering if anyone here has found ways to work around some of the same issues that I am having. I know many use outside services, but I would rather continue to handle it internally if possible. What can I say, I'm cheap. Plus, I'm in the middle of nowhere so hiring an outside source to take them isn't practical. Got anything for me?

One of the biggest issues we deal with in regards to pictures is that not only do we not have a picture booth, we really don't have ANY good place to take pictures. We actually take pictures in our service drive because it seems to be the only place we can get any consistency. It of course has it's own problems be it getting in our service departments way, lighting or various reflections. We tried taking pictures outside now that we use a background service, but again there were some issues due to the sun. I was stalking some California dealers websites for a completely different reason and noticed that although it is obvious they are taking pictures in the sun, all of their pictures were very consistent and clean. I am wondering if anyone here has found ways to work around some of the same issues that I am having. I know many use outside services, but I would rather continue to handle it internally if possible. What can I say, I'm cheap. Plus, I'm in the middle of nowhere so hiring an outside source to take them isn't practical. Got anything for me?
A lot of it will be the camera & the person behind the camera. I have shot across the country, with 98% of the locations being outside. There are tricks to utilize available light, both through angles, and pre-focusing, as well as with filters on the camera lens itself.

Once there is a consistent spot that can be used, the photographer can see the ideal times of day for photos, to maximize available natural light.

A lot of it will be the camera & the person behind the camera. I have shot across the country, with 98% of the locations being outside. There are tricks to utilize available light, both through angles, and pre-focusing, as well as with filters on the camera lens itself.

Once there is a consistent spot that can be used, the photographer can see the ideal times of day for photos, to maximize available natural light.
What do you recommend as far as cameras go? My guys are just using their cell phones. One of our other stores says he takes his with an iPhone 5, but he's got a photo booth.

I've been using the Canon SX series for years - currently using an SX70HS.

If you have someone who actually knows how to shoot, an entry level (or better) DSLR, or mirrorless body with a wide angle (not fish eye, so you don't distort the subject & will still allow use of filters). A ring flash could also be a good idea, for the interior shots, when trying to balance the bright ambient light, with the ever present interior shadows.

I've been using the Canon SX series for years - currently using an SX70HS.

If you have someone who actually knows how to shoot, an entry level (or better) DSLR, or mirrorless body with a wide angle (not fish eye, so you don't distort the subject & will still allow use of filters). A ring flash could also be a good idea, for the interior shots, when trying to balance the bright ambient light, with the ever present interior shadows.
Yeah, I don't even know what you just said. Ha. And no I don't think we have anyone who will.

• Hilarious
Reactions: Tallcool1
The SX Series is good then, I just have my team use the 'Auto' mode, and use the on-camera flash for most shots.

I am working on re-doing a photo guide one of my employees made back in my eBiz days, for how we are doing them now. Once I get it put together, I can send it over.

I got served a hilarious ad from Dealer Image Pro a while back... never heard of or worked with them but it might be worth considering.

On a quick first glance, it's an iPad based app (iPad included) with a visual guide to help your own guys/gals take the photos.

Reactions: ChrisR
I also use the Powershot sx70hs on auto. I also agree its the camera and the person. I would never use an iphone to take pictures. The only month I have an issue outside is December when the sun is terrible. For me if I point the nose of the car facing west I can get good pictures between 10am and 3pm. I do cheat and do run the pictures through a batch photoshop program I wrote to edit and clean them up. This allows me to get the pictures online in about 1 day or so before they are cleaned and through service.

Reactions: ChrisR