• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Re-Marketing. Trend or Long-timer?

I went super custom. I figured a SUV shopper wants a SUV message and a Convertible visitor wants a convertible message... so I segmented by re-targeting scripts into 9 different classes.

1. SUV
  2. MiniVans
  3. Trucks
  4. Sedans
  5. Coupes
  6. HatchBacks
  7. Convertibles
  8. Over 30MPG
  9. Under $250 per month

So, come to my site and the message that I serve to you can be more "personal".

Joe, doing the same thing here. On new cars we are targeting my Model line and re-marketing the model of last interest. Not sure if getting this granular makes sense.

Be sure you use BOB in your Display ads. Brand Offer Brand - Be sure your dealerships name/brand is making up good use of the real-estate in your display ad.

Be sure you are re-marketing to consumers that have dived in deeper than your homepage and remove the service customers if you can.

Be sure you are NOT going into re-marketing and tracking the performance the same way you do Paid Search. The CTR and CPC could leave you feeling a little nauseous (depending on the cost of the campaign).

I will tell you - when someone DOES click on a re-marketing ad, the conversion rate gets impressive!

Why not get granular here as well and have a small budget for oil change, tires, trany, muffler, book your apt online now... etc. I love our service dept and need to give them a little more love, I was thinking remarketing was a beauty of a place to start.

Go for it Mitch. I was keeping the conversation around variable ops but there's NO reason why you can't re-market to your service base. Most that visit our service pages are customers looking to schedule online or print off a coupon. Serve them up a different message...hit them with something like an extended service contact ad and lands them (if they happen to click) on a page with pricing, benefits and a limited time special (may as well throw in some urgency while you're at it).

As for Long Timer, this is going to depend on what the GOV determines.

That will be the ultimate judge of longevity for this medium.

I set the initial tone negatively to inspire good commentary and thanks to all of you who have replied thus far. Remarketing is a cool advertising piece, but its future is full of uncertainty. With a lot of care it can be done well, so I don't see it being successful for most dealers. Eley's experience is representative of what goes wrong with display advertising when it is done generically. This is definitely one you have to own yourself.

$3000...gulp? Was that annually Eley?

I'm 60 days into my remarketing.
131,749 Impressions
347 Clicks
$430.00 60 day cost

Joe.................... hold on to your chair, that was monthly! GM has a deal with Cobalt called the Digital Ad Package. They "offer" this to a dealer for $3,000 a month for EACH franchise. We did Chevy. It consist of re-marketing, some PPC (but not nearly what we were paying for),and some SEM. Yes, I paid $36,000 a year, just like many other dealers, and after great research and advice here on DR, I said the hell with it! I was getting close to 2M impressions, and had no clue how many clicks, but the real issue was I saw no spike in my web traffic/visits!

I went super custom. I figured a SUV shopper wants a SUV message and a COnvertible visitor wants a convertible message... so I segmented my retargeting scripts into 9 different classes.

Who are you using Joe? That to me is a heck of a lot better than just generic re-marketing. In Oct I started looking at a new hunting jacket, I checked out Filson, next thing I know there they were, they were marketing the last jacket I viewed and 2 like it. I have seen Zappos do this with brand and model specific on shoes!

It doesn't matter where I go this thing keeps trying to run me down...You are going to rub some folks the wrong way trying to stay top of mind........Maybe the real question is how many impressions does it take to leave a bad impression?

Ryan hit the nail on the head, sorry again Paul, but you stalk me too much where ever I go on the web! And it becomes annoying after a while and I am not interested. This I say in speaking about generic re-marketing that I have been invovled in, but what Joe and Jeff have talked about in getting model specific has got me interested.

On new cars we are targeting my Model line and re-marketing the model of last interest. Not sure if getting this granular makes sense.

Be sure you are re-marketing to consumers that have dived in deeper than your homepage and remove the service customers if you can.

I will tell you - when someone DOES click on a re-marketing ad, the conversion rate gets impressive!

Jeff and Joe, I would be interested to know who you are using to do your re-marketing.

Jeff - what kind of conversions rates are you talking about?

Why not get granular here as well and have a small budget for oil change, tires, trany, muffler, book your apt online now... etc. I love our service dept and need to give them a little more love, I was thinking remarketing was a beauty of a place to start.

Mitch, I like that thinking, we have a Tire Center page I just built and working on, that would be a great way to stay in front of the customer when they leave us and go out there searching for a deal on tires. Or if they hit your Service Specials page, serve up an ad that give another $5 off for clicking through and making an appointment.

I set the initial tone negatively to inspire good commentary and thanks to all of you who have replied thus far.

Eley's experience is representative of what goes wrong with display advertising when it is done generically.

Always stirring the pot Alex!! Great topic!

My experience was bad and left a bad taste in my mouth becasue it was generic, we had no control over it, and they couldnt produce any data such as click rates. However I would be much more incline to try re-marketing the way Joe and Jeff are doing it, getting brand and model specific. And trying some service.

I really do not know much about the behind the scenes of re-marketing, can you make it time specific? Say someone goes on to my service page, fills out service request form (not sure if you can target if they select LOF, brakes etc), can you make the re-marketing appear in 80 days and have a message such as "Time for another oil change, its been about 3 months right, click here to schedule service online now". Now, some might see that as big brother, but with GM we have OnStar DMN (Dealer Maintenance Notification; when the car is due for oil change we get an email and contact the customer). This could be another way to remind the customer and drive online service appointments.

Or, someone is looking at a model that has $2,000 rebate, re-marketing ad pops up 5 days before the rebate expires "Still thinking about that 2011 GMC Acadia, there's just a few days left to get an additional $2,000 Rebate"

Wondering if that is possible.

Appreciate feedback from those questions I asked.

Great topic Alex!

Jeff and Joe, I would be interested to know who you are using to do your re-marketing.

Jeff - what kind of conversions rates are you talking about?
Eley - I'm using Automotive Advertising Agency | Moore & Scarry Automotive Marketing So far the service and support has been very good (even used them for some direct mail with nice success)

The conversation rates were in the 20-40% depending on the franchise (I know, sounds high, I too did a double take when I first saw it) . Keep in mind the CTR is low, so only a few conversions can give you a nice spike. These were the people that actually clicked - hard to track others that maybe fat fingered a dealer name/brand search into Google for our dealership OR went directly to the URL. Another reason I'm a fan of re-marketing.

Ryan hit the nail on the head, sorry again Paul, but you stalk me too much where ever I go on the web! And it becomes annoying after a while and I am not interested. This I say in speaking about generic re-marketing that I have been involved in, but what Joe and Jeff have talked about in getting model specific has got me interested.

I read somewhere that having a user see 7 to 12 of your ads in the course of a 30-day period is ideal, but seeing the same ad every time, or seeing more than that can have a negative effect. I'm sure there is a fine balance between targeting users, and bombarding them. Either way the marketing side of me says I'd like for my ads to show up just a few more time than the 7-12 in 30. :)

I wouldn't judge Paul from his re-marketing approach. I would say he's trying to get a point across. :) I met Mr. Potraz at the last Digital Marketing Bootcamp. Smart guy with some great services.

can you make the re-marketing appear in 80 days and have a message such as "Time for another oil change, its been about 3 months right, click here to schedule service online now"
Eley, I love your thinking, but I you might be asking for too much logic behind a measly tracking pixel. :) I've never heard of a tracking pixel firing after a determined date. Good idea for a Service campaign if it's doable.

Last edited:
The conversation rates were in the 20-40% depending on the franchise (I know, sounds high, I too did a double take when I first saw it) . Keep in mind the CTR is low, so only a few conversions can give you a nice spike. These were the people that actually clicked - hard to track others that maybe fat fingered a dealer name/brand search into Google for our dealership OR went directly to the URL. Another reason I'm a fan of re-marketing.

I wouldn't judge Paul from his re-marketing approach. I would say he's trying to get a point across. :) I met Mr. Potraz at the last Digital Marketing Bootcamp. Smart guy with some great services.

Eley, I love your thinking, but I you might be asking for too much logic behind a measly tracking pixel. :) I've never heard of a tracking pixel firing after a determined date. Good idea for a Service campaign if it's doable.

Jeff, if the cost is right I would take 20-40% for the right message!

Please dont take my comments about Potratz following me all over the internet as negative towards his marketing to us as dealers, he is making a valid point with popping up all the time. I met him as well at AMBC and found him to be informative and with great ideas. I think he is getting his point across, my point is what a consumer might think if someone was following you that closely.

I just wonder if it is possible to set up re-marketing based on displaying at a certain date after the visit, that could change a lot. Then again I would have to imagine if someone deleted their files it wouldnt matter much.

I have to say that Paul Potratz opened my eyes to remarketing and yes we have been using it for the PCG Pit Stop Conferences.

There is a strategy that you need to mark remarketing work, but its low cost and high return. When done properly, its HARD to spend money on remarketing and I believe it has a powerful ROI.

Dealers complain that such a low percentage of website traffic each month results in a lead form, a call, or a walk-in. Remarketing is the low cost reminder to get them back into the store.

As far as creeping out consumers? My banners are showing up on sites like CNBC.com and Mashable.com so it actually gives CREDITABILITY to the event or dealership if their ads are showing up on popular sites.

It's so promising that we have started to offer remarketing campaigns as part of our monthly Adwords management service.

One of my favorite marketing blogs, Econsultancy.com had a piece on this recently. it was titled When retargeting turns into stalking and might be worth a read.

It starts off with, "Online ad retargeting is a very powerful concept that, in the wrong hands, can not only infuriate your prospective customers but also threatens the entire cookie-fueled display advertising market.

We've all been the victim of this: you look at a pair of pink, fluffy handcuffs on BondageMaster.com and for the next three months, the very same handcuffs appear on almost every other site you visit. Spooky."

For me personally, I'm seeing a little less of Paul's smiling face and a little more of Brian's "Cliff's Notes" looking banners.