• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Same Product - 2 alike dealers but 2 Very different results..

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
Same product - 2 alike dealers but 2 very different results

How many times have you seen this happen?

You have 2 like dealers within the same dealer group or 20 group. Dealer A signs up with the same product/service as Dealer B.

Note: the product/service is exact for each dealer. Same training, same initial roll out. The product/service isn't a set it and forget it service. It's one that takes some initiative from the dealer to obtain maximum results.

Dealer A has tremendous success. They become real advocates and champions of the product and have continued success month after month.

Dealer B has little success with the exact same product/service. They basically fail at it and quickly insist the product/service "didn't work for us".

I've seen this happen time after time with products/services across smaller groups, larger groups and now playing on the vendor side, I see it even MORE.

How does this happen?

How do you prevent this from happening at your dealership?

Do you become a champion of the product/service or wait for it to automatically magically work for your dealership?

Reactions: 4 people
Yes I have seen this. Most services are not some magic pill you swallow and poof you become a superstar. Like a gym membership, one still has to make the effort to gain results. I tell dealers this all the time when they come on the Phone Ninjas platform. We give you the tools to improve, it's the job of management to make sure the salespeople are doing the exercises.

Reactions: 2 people
Same product - 2 alike dealers but 2 very different results

How does this happen?

How do you prevent this from happening at your dealership?

Do you become a champion of the product/service or wait for it to automatically magically work for your dealership?

Happens all the time.

Different inventory, type of customer, managers involvement, etc.

Too many factors the influence the success or failure of a product but if there is one I can think as having the most influence:

Dealer management belief and involvement with the product installation, deployment, and usage.

Reactions: 1 person
hmmmm.....never heard of anything like this before :thinker: .....<cough>CRM</cough>..... nope, no technology ever has this issue :lol:

Two approaches that are really simple:

1. Positive Approach - If a vision is preached and believed-in by leadership, and the technology is shown as a way to help achieve that vision, then the technology is utilized and the dealership thrives with it.
2. Negative Approach - beat people into submission with payplans and screaming.

And there's always the third approach.... "Nobody asked me what I thought before they bought it" and now the product is doomed for failure no matter what you do.

Maybe another question to add is "what kind of management team do you work for?"

Reactions: 3 people
What's really troubling and unfortunate for the dealer is when they get a great product, great buy-in, and great utilization, then the GM get's blown out and a new guy comes in and wants to throw it all out the window. Ever happen to anyone? The dealer rarely realizes what investment in time, money and culture they are throwing out the window. In my dream world, Dealer Principles would always be involved in the installation and preservation of their technology investment.

Wow talk about a real life B&M A/B test.

We should launch two dealers. Same street. Same cars. Same amount of resources. Same budgets. Same vendors. Same grand opening date.

One dealer will be your "old school" and one will be "new school".

Check results after 1,3,6, and 12 months.

Sounds like a great YouTube series. Nobody take my idea :)

I am the first to take responsibility if we fail as a dealer to fully and correctly use a new product or solution. Years ago, if we were seeing poor results using Cars.com or AutoTrader, I would be the first to admit if it was because we were failing to take enough pictures, write good descriptions, etc. The dealership's participation is an important part of the success of any new product/service.

With that said, it is also fair to understand that many products/services in our marketplace require a LOT of dealership change and participation, and sometimes this is not feasible or is difficult to implement. We implemented a policy almost 8 years ago that we beta test new products/services for a 90 day to 120 day trial run, we then re-evaluate the performance of the new solution, and then decide if we want to move forward. It has worked very well for both us and the vendors we work with.

There are 2 kinds of products. One that requires dealer training, one that does not. If it requires ANY dealer training, then the product's performance is dependent on the store's leadership skills.

Like all businesses, leadership just doesn't happen, it's a commitment and lots of effort that comes from the top and touches everything in the org. It's not a car dealer problem, it's a people problem.

Is there a Hallmark of Dealer Leadership?

Yes.

Reviews.

(High Review scores can't come up from the bottom, they come from the top down. Great reviews requires vision, process and commitment. That can't happen without Great Leadership. In other words, if the product you're selling requires training, look at the dealers reviews. Before you walk in the door, you'll know how much ROI your product will (or won't) generate :)

Last edited:
How many managers complain about all the weakness around them?

This the sound of leadership:

I am the first to take responsibility if we fail as a dealer to fully and correctly use a new product or solution.

The 5 star parade rides right along with it:
Jeff Wyler chevrolet reviews
Jeff Wyler kia reviews
Jeff Wyler jeep reviews
Jeff Wyler toyota reviews

Everywhere you look, Review scores are a leadership score:
hyundai of st augustine reviews
Curry Honda georgia reviews
Cavender toyota reviews

and on and on and on..

Time for a new Uncle Joe Rule!

Uncle Joe Rule #126: Your store can't have a 5 star rating without a 5 star General!

Reactions: 5 people