• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Seeking innovative pay plan ideas for internet sales managers

tbullard

Tie Cut
Oct 15, 2011
First Name
Ty
I am about to hire an internet sales manager and I am trying to come up with a new pay plan. What plans have been successful for you? I am looking to be creative here with a young individual that does not have a lot of car experience but has a lot of mobile experience and phone experience. Any ideas are much appreciated

It is going to be for our Cadillac / Mits stores. There are two seperate buildings but on the same campus. We currently have one internet sales manager over our whole group and it really does not allow us to focus on the details enough. So i am willing to invest more money so that we can make sure we are on top of every little detail. The other manager will assume the role over our Infinit, Acura, and Jag/rover campus.

You just want to make sure that his compensation is similar to the desk managers. If they are paid on profit and you are using the internet department to just move cars (holdback and factory cash are the only profit) then there will be conflict. Base salary plus commission on appointments that show and then that sell is a traditional model. If he/she is just bringing customers in then getting them with a salesrep, that is your best plan.

If he's cradle to grave, and you want to move units, then give him the normal salesmen payplan and count dealer cash, holdback, and pack as gross on new cars. if he's motivated he'll make it work and you won't lose your ass. Don't give him a salary. I turned a salary down, it makes you lazy. There are no garuntees in life, you have to take what's yours. Car sales sales is no different.

We pay our ISM's as appointment setters. We give a $360 a week salary and a bonus for each Appointment Shown. ($20 - $30 for each.) We have also paid on sold units in the past as well. ($25 for a shown appointment and an extra $25 if that appointment sells.) Either way has worked for us, it's just a matter of the volume of your store. The goal isn't for them to sell cars, its to get them in the door the best they can and turn the prospect over to an experienced Salesman. Strong phone and closing skills are best for this method.

So from the look of this forum nobody has the real answer to the real question that i've been asked, and asked for years, anybody?

hahaha... nobody here knows nuthin'. ok, I'll bite. WHATS YOUR QUESTION?

P.S. Any question that you've been asking for years (with no answer) means that the ANSWER is not that important to you (why else would you let it set for years?)

P.P.S. If you think the pay plan will motivate and train and sell you more cars, then, may I suggest some advice from Dr Webb...

Reactions: 4 people
I am about to hire an internet sales manager and I am trying to come up with a new pay plan. What plans have been successful for you? I am looking to be creative here with a young individual that does not have a lot of car experience but has a lot of mobile experience and phone experience. Any ideas are much appreciated

I don't hire geeks for ISM positions. Give me a good salesperson, that is computer literate, and I will teach him the rest.

For mine I always want pay plans that produce results to the bottom line. I've had success with retroactive pay plans with increasing percentages at certain unit levels. Our nissan stores started 20% and 3% back with tier bumps of 5%/1% at 8/15/22. Toyota we set higher tier levels because the brand is so much stronger.

We also mixed in bonuses on areas of process we wanted to measure/improve.

My $.02.