• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

SEO 101 For Dealers

Brent,

You are trying to hard here. Don't try to hard. Worry more on what you already have and then maybe later you can experiment with adding images with tags. Tag what you have but don't go out of your way. Work on conversion and optimizing what you have existing. I see most dealers have a basic knowledge of SEO but they go overkill. Use images for visual effects to draw eyes not for SEO.

Brent, I like your efforts but you need to learn where the lowest hanging fruit is. Concentrate on whats important. Don't try to be a SEO GURU just gain basic knowledge. Once you have a grasp on it you can start to play a little. Your efforts with the 3rd party images and adding images for SEO are not what I would call productive.

Do you want a project that you can start that will be more beneficial then this little tweaks here and there? Do a blog. Offer it on your site. have a Mechanic Monday, Coupon Tuesday, Wacky Wednesday, Ask Questions Thursday, and a Thank God It's Friday.

If you need help with it hit me up. You can get a wordpress.com site up in a matter of a few minutes.

Lol...Your right that did sound terrible. Frankly nobody ever visits that page anyway. Am I right though that photos with tags as they are will help Google pick up the website? What I plan do is something like that in pages that would not generally be accessed by customers and keeping the frequently visited content interesting to the human eye. Of course then Google lands the customer on this "SEO" only page and the customer scats. Is that what your saying?

Anyone know a good SEO GURU? I am humble enough to admit defeat.

ummm kind of. I have seen images where it is relative pick up and place images in google web search but I would imagine that your tags are not doing much to drive traffic to your site because for someone to see them they would probably need to search images.

That is why I said you are better off working on other things like a blog. I would stick your project with the images at the bottom of your list of to do's. Again clean up your tags on your current images and then move on. Stay focused on the goal at hand. Don't get distracted and write down your ideas as they come to you. Bounce them off your peers and folks nice enough to give feedback before implementing them. If you are not careful you will spend 2 hours tagging photos on flicker and miss a car deal ;).

I love your passion for doing it yourself and trying to make your site rank better but stay focused and stick with that chart in my original post or something similar. Someone may have something better. Wake up a couple hours early and invest in yourself by following the people I suggested.

Good luck and if you need suggestions on who to use and how much to pay let me know.

Brent,

... You can get a wordpress.com site up in a matter of a few minutes.

Ryan,
I ain't no computer dummy and I've launched a dozen or more WordPress(WP) sites. I can recall having had multiple hair-pulling problems launching WP sites.

It can be brainless If you have a host that executes the entire install, supports the platform (most dont), DownLoads and installs the most current updates, add wrestles with the sometimes buggy plug-ins.

We've got a wide and diverse audience. Just because your a guuuroo, Please don't under estimate the complexity.

Ryan,
I ain't no computer dummy and I've launched a dozen or more WordPress(WP) sites. I can recall having had multiple hair-pulling problems launching WP sites.

It can be brainless If you have a host that executes the entire install, supports the platform (most dont), DownLoads and installs the most current updates, add wrestles with the sometimes buggy plug-ins.

We've got a wide and diverse audience. Just because your a guuuroo, Please don't under estimate the complexity.

:) your funny! Check out Blue Host. Install is as easy as pushing a few buttons. They even have videos on "how to". Please hear me here I am not promoting everyone go out and cancel their site with their site provider and build a dealership website on WP. Just to educate and WP is a great way to learn and understand.

my 2 cents on WP... 90% of the time it works great... but their are times when you can run into issue with Themes and Plugins and they are a pain to debug... but if you don't go bleeding edge it be all fine.

While we are on 101... don't forget about FavIcon... won't do any thing for SEO but will make it easier for user to find the site in tabs and bookmarks.

ahhh.. there you go brother Ryan. Nice Blue Host recc. Keep those comments rollin, but, post like you're in a one room school house.

Your homepage blinks and it is very distracting.

Your pictures refresh way too fast, looking at your homepage is like watching a montage.

Its like playing whack a mole just trying to click the car you may want more info on.

UsedCarKing - Used Cars & Trucks | Syracuse, Utica, Rochester | Central New York

Just my humble opinion.

I'll even go a step further and say it reminds me of the cell phone storefronts that I would see when I was living in Bangkok.

Last edited:
awww... shucks, all these compliments coming from you JohnScott? You're making me blush :o

Thank You!

Your homepage blinks and it is very distracting.

Your pictures refresh way too fast, looking at your homepage is like watching a montage.

Its like playing whack a mole just trying to click the car you may want more info on.

UsedCarKing - Used Cars & Trucks | Syracuse, Utica, Rochester | Central New York

Just my humble opinion.

I'll even go a step further and say it reminds me of the cell phone storefronts that I would see when I was living in Bangkok.