• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Service Advisor using messaging to send THANK YOUS

JohnScott

Boss
Aug 23, 2009
First Name
ME inc
Im new to this, basically still in the training phase, and have a questions about follow up phone calls.

I was wondering what you think of SA's using text messaging to send "Thank you" messages to customers after they've been in for service.

What do you think is better, a phone call or a quick text message? Im still on the fence because I can see where a customer might be bothered by a phone call, but I can also see a customer appreciating a phone call.

Do you think that in this day and age a quick text message is fine?

Since a lot of dealers seem to have someone else make the follow up phone calls do you think it would be OK for a SA to take the initiative and also send a text message?

I think it is a great idea. I send TM thank yous sometimes when a sales customer has been to our store and I've never had anybody complain.

But then, I like TM. And hate waiting through the voice mail log-in and prompts necessary to hear an actual message. Which, when you get there, is usually a time waster like, "Hi, this is ______. Give me a call when you get a chance." Grrr. Text does that way faster and is more convenient.

Of course, the way to test the idea is to simply ask yourself, "Would I want a store/dealership/vendor to send a text thank you to me?"

John -
Lets me start by applauding your willingness to look beyond the norm. I have this conversation almost daily with dealers; I personally love the idea of a simple SMS follow up, quick, personal and to the point. And being that you're a VW dealer you demographic is great! However, in the end the key here is going to be customer preference. At the time the RO is written when the advisor asks for the best number to contact (work or cell) could be followed up with would you prefer voice or text message?

There are a handful of on-line schedulers in the market place that can automate this process in addition to the many other benefits they offer.

I'm happy to share more details how to automate text follow up (via PM) but in the spirit of the forum I do need to disclose that my company does offer these services.

Thanks for the input.

I guess the next step, or should I say hurdle is asking my SM if its OK. Lets just say I havent had a lot of success so far whenever Ive made suggestions. Ive worked in a lot of different industries, whats interesting about this one is the resistance to change. Just because something has "worked fine for the past 20 years" doesn't mean that it cant be improved upon.

I think using text messaging would limit the amount of interruptions one has due to calls from customers checking status, as well as relieving some of the tension the customer has "waiting" to find out the status of their repair.
If you tell a customer you should know something by 11am I think a simple text message at 11am saying "were still working on it, I'll call you as soon as I know more" would be the most efficient way to prevent the interruption of a phone call, and let the customer know that you have not forgotten about them.

I think one problem I may have is that I dont have a business phone, so to send a text message I would have to use my personal account. I dont mind using my own phone, but the company may have issues with it. Now there may be a way to use ADP to do this, but Ive not been shown.

It seems like there is a huge amount of time, and interruptions due to the game we all know and play "phone tag". I know text messaging would not be a 100% cure for this, but if it can prevent just 50%..or say 25% thats an improvement ....right?

I have to say I do understand why management is sometimes resistant to change with so much emphasis placed on CSI. Trying something new comes with some risk, it may backfire on you.

Last edited:
I have found that some customers think that texting is for private use and not a way for a business to communicate.
If a customer is not on the same provider, sometimes it cost the customer $. For those reasons, I don't like the idea. Email or phone call is a normal business proctice.

I have found that some customers think that texting is for private use and not a way for a business to communicate.
If a customer is not on the same provider, sometimes it cost the customer $. For those reasons, I don't like the idea. Email or phone call is a normal business proctice.

The money cost for customers is the issue I see right off the bat. That said, maybe an opt-in for receiving text notifications?

In my market, it would be necessary to have an opt-in because not everyone and their mother has unlimited texting on their phones. For others, maybe not so much. That said, understanding your market on as many levels as possible is paramount to utilizing the value in these kinds of (what are at this point in time) abnormal business practices.

First you need to ask, "what would I like to accomplish by sending out this message?"

For me it would be about customer satisfaction. I would personally do it with an e-mail and not a text message.

I've tested this at dealerships looking to improve service satisfaction. I like to send out an e-mail thanking customers and prompting them to contact us if they had any questions or concerns. Generally only the people who have had a bad experience would reply back. Thus the dealer was able to defuse the situation.

You could also add a line like this within the e-mail: "To expedite your future service requirements, please visit us online at (insert link here). Please go ahead and bookmark that link as a favorite for future reference when scheduling service."

Some dealers like doing this to free up the log jam off calls that happen. I listen to a lot of recoded calls where operators are transferring the call to a service adviser and the call never gets picked up. I wonder where those people end up going for service?

Now in order to be effective sending out e-mails to service customers, the service advisers need to start collecting the appropriate data (phone numbers & e-mail) from customers and entering it in the system. Or, they write it on the R.O. and have somebody enter it in the DMS and CRM later.

Those are my thoughts on this subject.

I agree with the folks who posted above that a "Thank you" is probably best handled by email.

What do I want to accomplish?

I guess its the amount of phone traffic that I am trying to alleviate. It really is overwhelming, and detracts from the service you can give to the customers that are standing in front of you, waiting to be serviced, as well as the customer on the phone trying to reach you.

Its a huge interruption, and so often its something as simple as saying "your work is complete". Sometimes it takes 3 calls to get that message to the customer. One call to the customer-leave message, a call back from the customer-your busy or not available , and then another call back from the you to the customer once you get the message he/she called. I think you see what Im getting at.
If you knew how often I heard, "Well he just called me and Im returning his call" you know what Im talking about.

I think if we trained our customers they would be more than willing to accept a text message telling them when their vehicle is finished.

So much of the frustration for both customers and employees in the service lane is centered around the phone. Can it all be avoided? Of course not, but I do think we could use technology to improve things. Im not exactly sure how, but Im thinking about it,and would like to try some ideas out.

Most of my customers are texting while in line or waiting that I think they have a pretty good grasp of text in this day and age.

I dont think what was normal business practices before is necessarily true today.

Great input from everyone, I had totally overlooked the "cost" factor. I think that could probably be overcome as someone suggested above by "asking for permission".

Im still working out the pros and cons, and thats why I come here, to get input from folks who have been in the biz for years, but are also willing to embrace change and new ideas.

Last edited:
Most of my customers are texting while in line or waiting that I think they have a pretty good grasp of text in this day and age.

I dont think what was normal business practices before is necessarily true today.

I think Lee really nailed this, especially with regard to your additional comments about usage you've witnessed. If you have an active mobile user, just ask them what contact method they prefer.

CSI is a big deal, why not capitalize on the opportunity to differentiate yourself and exceed the expectation of your customers at the same time?

The track is pretty simple for an SA, "Nice device! How do you like it (relationship building) Let me ask you this, rather than playing phone tag when your car is finished, would it be OK if I just send you a quick text message to let you know you're all done? All I need you to do is reply so that I know you got the message, sound good?"

Last thought is the second half of the quote, you are dead on about business practices changing. If you need proof of that look at newspaper spend at your dealership. The same people we had to turn the marketing tables upside down to sell the car to are the ones that we are trying to keep in the drive and courting for high CSI scores. Evolve or walk the dinosaur.

Text messaging should be opt-in. EVERY major cell phone provider in the country will NOT turn off text messaging if their customer doesn't want it. Whenever I get a text message from someone who doesn't know I don't use the service I get charged $.50 and it really kills me every time.

So yeah, in my case I'd prefer the phone call.