• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Setting up a Photo Booth

I have several friends that share the same problem including my previous store. We actually got permission from a hotel next door to take pictures on their lot. Not only did we not have an area to set up a booth, we didn't have a nice area outside. What we had was a desire that our pictures looked presentable.

I know that they sell a lot of cars at my friend's store and they have a very short "days to market". They can not be spending a lot of time editing pictures. There is obviously a way to do this that isn't too time consuming.

I'm jealous of those dealerships that have large facilities and open areas in their service departments to set up booths. I just had to play the cards I was dealt.

I am in this situation. Almost an 2 week changing routine of a "good spot" to take the pictures due to inventory influx/deflux. Less cars = better spots. But, if you understand the basics of outside lighting and how it effects cars I dont think this is such a problem. No room for a studio. Inside studio is better for many obvious reasons but outside will make due w/ car photos.

1. Consumer can now recognize what your dealership looks like, from a road side stand point. They know where to go now.

2. Simply pulling your vehicle off the "line" by backing up or pulling forward will work as a photo. More user interaction with other vehicles. "Ohhh whats that car behind there?----->>>>>>Search "

It's all about the lighting.

I am in this situation. Almost an 2 week changing routine of a "good spot" to take the pictures due to inventory influx/deflux. Less cars = better spots. But, if you understand the basics of outside lighting and how it effects cars I dont think this is such a problem. No room for a studio. Inside studio is better for many obvious reasons but outside will make due w/ car photos.

1. Consumer can now recognize what your dealership looks like, from a road side stand point. They know where to go now.

2. Simply pulling your vehicle off the "line" by backing up or pulling forward will work as a photo. More user interaction with other vehicles. "Ohhh whats that car behind there?----->>>>>>Search "

It's all about the lighting.

Jake, Really nice pictures can give a dealer an edge and it has to help with their overall image. Do the best with what you have and your effort will pay off.

I think it looks a lot better with the logo. Maybe add some more light on the corner angles of the vehicles, its a little dark near the ends (front and back) and very bright in the middle.

Also, do you have to turn the car around to take a photo of the opposite angle? I think the blue is cool if you keep it because it's something that can be signature and might stick with the consumers. Remember, they have looked at your website and 12 other dealer .coms in your city.

Looks good other than that:)

I have been messing with the lights for quite some time. When I move them to the ends it makes the center very dark. If I get a chance today, I'll show you what I mean. I have 3 ql1000's with softboxes and similar to what the op explains for backdrop.

Also, I do have to turn the car around. It's not too bad, I can do 1 car in 15 minutes and 3 in 30 mins.

The blue matches our dealer look and will match our new website that goes live in a month or so...

The result is that in the online world as we take the cars out the lot and into this photo areas we lose the individualism of the place that is selling them. The photo staging area levels the field.

Now, isn't this better?: http://www.autobase.com/photos/00800/1106/11066408_001.jpg

Staged but also keeps the dealer's facility (and money) into view.

That's all well and good, unless you don't live in SoCal and you have 8 feet of snow out front or it's pouring rain. The worst is seeing that photo come summer time; Customer: that car's been on the lot awhile!!

Studios eliminate the weather aspect and add a level of consistency.

But, you know those dealers, always like to see there money... :)

That's all well and good, unless you don't live in SoCal and you have 8 feet of snow out front or it's pouring rain. The worst is seeing that photo come summer time; Customer: that car's been on the lot awhile!!

Studios eliminate the weather aspect and add a level of consistency.

But, you know those dealers, always like to see there money... :)

That photo is in WA so I feel you... we do 16,000+ cars per month here. Last year we have 100+ days of rain. Things can get done no matter what... no the snow is a different deal.

i manage a company named sharp cars llc and set up and build professional photo booths with the lattest technology and lighting and the correct back grounds, beautiful photos are a result of what we do.. id like you to contact me as soon as you can, im interested in showing anyone what we do. i can do a online demo for you from my computer on a live feed as well to show you what we do, maybe we can set up a booth for you in your shop. email me @ [email protected] or call ,me directly at 6365774435.

thanks, Chad Roberson

picture of our photo booth, we build these for dealers, its unfinished at this time. we can also put any back ground and video on the back ground wall. booth will complete in febuary.. all has been built by us.i will post more pics that are better qualitiy than this particular one photo we have added way more technology to the booth from at this point of the photo, this isnt an easy setup but we have perfected it to a T now. Absolutly no photo shopping is ever done with our setups.. setup up like this with complete back grounds and video capability can be setup by us at any dealership with a 40ft by 40ft area. turntable to spin car is available also.. contact me for anymore info if interested if having somthing like this in your dealer.