• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

SMA Alliance - Anyone heard of this marketing group?

Wow, this thread really took off. My suspicions have been verified and I believe this is nothing more than a huge marketing ploy to rip off those that have no idea what they are doing. If the majority of your leads/phone calls are coming from craigslist, then I also call BS. I have had all our cars posted to craigslist and I was not impressed. A lot of shoppers and no buyers. Also, I can get extra phone lines cheap - and I can track them all. Not exactly sure that the $7k is for...

Wow, this thread really took off. My suspicions have been verified and I believe this is nothing more than a huge marketing ploy to rip off those that have no idea what they are doing. If the majority of your leads/phone calls are coming from craigslist, then I also call BS. I have had all our cars posted to craigslist and I was not impressed. A lot of shoppers and no buyers. Also, I can get extra phone lines cheap - and I can track them all. Not exactly sure that the $7k is for...

Clay,

With all due respect, I have not seen one post of some one who was ripped off or scammed by us. I agree, I have yet to see any posts of clients also, But i know forums. If i sent this to my clients and they all joined and posted, many forums think it would stink, or smell fishy.

I can provide you many references, and also, I think is fair you mention that this is NOT a contract is month to month, and also the first month's fee, for a dealership your size, is usually 50% to prove our model.

Please call at least one reference, such as www.stadiumautotexas.com (Dan Laube) and see what they think.

Again, I know might not be right for you. This is not a the right solution for those who try to sell over the phone, the purpose is to get people to come in the store. Therefore these calls are for appointment setting, etc.

Either way I wish you luck!

Please contact me if you would like more references, if this would help.

Last edited:
Clay,

With all due respect, I have not seen one post of some one who was ripped off or scammed by us. I agree, I have yet to see any posts of clients also, But i know forums. If i sent this to my clients and they all joined and posted, many forums think it would stink, or smell fishy..

TVGBrian,

I wouldn't technically say it is a scam, but it is definitely a rip off -

According to another poster:

"1. Your whole inventory is posted on craigslist. 80% of your leads will come from there. These leads will ONLY be sent to you and no one else.
2. Your number will be used to track your leads and everything can be accessed through callsource.com - you'll be able to hear and track how your employees are converting these leads."

Now, to me, if 80% of the leads are generated from craigslist and a tracking number - it just isn't worth $7k to me, when I can do the same thing for $500-$700/mo.

There is no value for an educated automotive group to sign up for this kind of money for things we can do for WAY less.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points.

1. You are using the dealers inventory to push out to CL and tons of microsites.

2. You are misrepresenting the dealer by claiming you are them when a customer calls.

3. Its in your best interests to have a customer call your number instead of the dealers real number.

4. You have actually requested that a customer who previously filled out their information on the dealers own website, to go back and re-fill it out on your microsite?

5. The service you provide, a virtual BDC takes calls from people who want to buy a car, and you put them on hold, you call the dealer to see if it's available, then you pass them through.

6. You produce no original content, instead you use the dealers content and push it out to your domains which compete in google with the actual dealers website.

TVGBrian,

I wouldn't technically say it is a scam, but it is definitely a rip off -

According to another poster:

"1. Your whole inventory is posted on craigslist. 80% of your leads will come from there. These leads will ONLY be sent to you and no one else.

Now, to me, if 80% of the leads are generated from craigslist and a tracking number - it just isn't worth $7k to me, when I can do the same thing for $500-$700/mo.

There is no value for an educated automotive group to sign up for this kind of money for things we can do for WAY less.

This is incorrect. Yes a majority of the calls come from craigslist, and if you find a solution do this this great! Make sure however, it is a consistent 100 - 150 ads a day, not 10 - 20..Makes all the difference in the world. We find we need to do about 150 a day to generate 40 - 50 calls a day for the dealer. But is not craiglist only.

We also post to backpage, ebay and about 100 other Classified sites at the same time. then of course the feeds to carsforsale.com and many other sites makes the phone ring.

With no disresect to Hondaman, I think he only understands a portion of the process. If you try and do 100 posting one day you will see the time it requires.

And yes, they are dedicated leads, unlike autorader which is shared leads. Mind if I ask how much you spend for how many shared leads a month?

I think getting 40 calls a day,PLUS 100 to 150 paper leads a week from the carsforsale.com, PLUS the deals a month from credituniondealers.com a month, you willsess 1- 2 sales a DAY from us.

Again, I see your view, and know where you are coming from, but is apples to oranges.

PLEASE, ask anyone if they can get that much volume..it takes work.

Thanks for hearing me out...

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points.

1. You are using the dealers inventory to push out to CL and tons of microsites.

2. You are misrepresenting the dealer by claiming you are them when a customer calls.

3. Its in your best interests to have a customer call your number instead of the dealers real number.

4. You have actually requested that a customer who previously filled out their information on the dealers own website, to go back and re-fill it out on your microsite?

5. The service you provide, a virtual BDC takes calls from people who want to buy a car, and you put them on hold, you call the dealer to see if it's available, then you pass them through.

6. You produce no original content, instead you use the dealers content and push it out to your domains which compete in google with the actual dealers website.

1. Correct
2. INCORRECT, thee calls have a recording on them to say the call may be monitored, and it goes direct to the sales person at the dealer.
3. Incorrect
4. Nope
5. No, that service is when we take the calls and make appointments for the dealers, is an add on service.
6. Close. We do use the feed for the information on the car, but we do use our own copy to market the car.

Brian thanks for the replies.

What rate do you post to craigslist daily? 10 per hour, 100 per hour?

I assume this requires you to have multiple phone verified accounts?

Do you admit that this service is in a way manipulating the system, as far as Craigslist goes.

Who's taking responsibility for the CL postings, the dealer? I don't see any disclosures with your company name on any of them.

Brian thanks for the replies.

What rate do you post to craigslist daily? 10 per hour, 100 per hour?

I assume this requires you to have multiple phone verified accounts?

Do you admit that this service is in a way manipulating the system, as far as Craigslist goes.

Who's taking responsibility for the CL postings, the dealer? I don't see any disclosures with your company name on any of them.

Depends on the dealer but about 150ish a day, usually over an 8 - 10 hour period.

How we do this is a trade secret or otherwise everyone would, but PVA's are one piece.

Not at all..We follow the Terms of Service of Craigslist, otherwise the ads would be down and not up for weeks at a time. (CL allows most areas to have an ad up for 5 days)

We take the responsibility.

NP I am here to answer questions. I know am new here, and will only reply to what is asked and not try to "be selling". Don't want a ban hammer my first month...:rofl:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person