• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Some Vendors....Ughhh

I have used the line when asked what I am selling the answer is "Money" this usually get a strange look an usually a laugh which leads to a "What do you mean" question. I have a few rules for myself since I was in a store for a long time and know how many calls you guys get. I never call on Monday morning, Friday afternoons or the first or last day of the month. I use these times to do my office work.

I do have a question for the dealers, would you rather get an email cold call or a actual phone call which we usually end up leaving voice mail?

Reactions: 2 people
How often do you hear ..

They aren't available right now, but I can send you through to voice mail ...​

Almost 100% - haha

It's cool though. I get it. In fact I think it's easier for a dealer to tell me "come back", "not interested" or "sure I have a minute" to my face than to answer a page and go to his office to grab the phone. I feel like I'm actually saving them some time by walking in. :)

I have used the line when asked what I am selling the answer is "Money" this usually get a strange look an usually a laugh which leads to a "What do you mean" question. I have a few rules for myself since I was in a store for a long time and know how many calls you guys get. I never call on Monday morning, Friday afternoons or the first or last day of the month. I use these times to do my office work.

I do have a question for the dealers, would you rather get an email cold call or a actual phone call which we usually end up leaving voice mail?
Email, definitely. My outgoing voice mail message says to send an email instead of leaving a message. Some vendors keep calling and leaving messages though (and I keep deleting them without listening).

It is a matter of time. I can read an email while I'm not at my desk, but I have to stop what I'm doing to answer a phone. Plus if it is an existing vendor, I like to have a CYA trail.

Reactions: 3 people
Email, definitely. My outgoing voice mail message says to send an email instead of leaving a message. Some vendors keep calling and leaving messages though (and I keep deleting them without listening).

It is a matter of time. I can read an email while I'm not at my desk, but I have to stop what I'm doing to answer a phone. Plus if it is an existing vendor, I like to have a CYA trail.

So do you have your email on your voice mail message or listed on your dealer website somewhere? I wish everyone would do this as I know most VM's get deleted! Thank you for the reply!

Absolutely. It is listed on the staff page of the websites. I say the address and spell it out on the voicemail outgoing message several times; my outgoing message is ridiculously long in hopes that people hang up before they get to the beep. Plus our receptionists usually offer it to callers when they ask to be put through to my voicemail.

I do try to answer emails very quickly since I'm so obstinate about not talking on the phone.

Reactions: 1 person
Absolutely. It is listed on the staff page of the websites. I say the address and spell it out on the voicemail outgoing message several times; my outgoing message is ridiculously long in hopes that people hang up before they get to the beep. Plus our receptionists usually offer it to callers when they ask to be put through to my voicemail.

I do try to answer emails very quickly since I'm so obstinate about not talking on the phone.

If everyone did this it would make a lot of lives easier!

I agree 100%. I cannot stand vendors who keep calling even though I asked them to simply email the details.
I know sometimes you're better at selling on the phone, but please listen to your customers. If I say I'll get back to you when the time is right, I will.

Reactions: 1 person
Almost 100% - haha

It's cool though. I get it. In fact I think it's easier for a dealer to tell me "come back", "not interested" or "sure I have a minute" to my face than to answer a page and go to his office to grab the phone. I feel like I'm actually saving them some time by walking in. :)
I don't mind someone popping in, as long as they don't walk in my office and sit down and expect to have my attention. I think it is very courteous and effective when someone stops in for literally one minute, hands me a card, introduces themselves, and asks for an appointment. Even better, offer to bring lunch when you come back for the appointment.

Reactions: 2 people