• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Some Vendors....Ughhh

thunder8671

Full Sticker + Prep
Aug 22, 2012
First Name
Marketing Manager
I know that everyone has different situations. However, why do some vendors insist on showing up unannounced without trying to make an appointment? I understand that they have to make a living but please respect everyone's time and call ahead. Dealerships are very busy places..UGH!!!!

I can +1 this from my dealership days.
"Classifieds" vendors always wandering in wanting to know if I wanted to purchase more listings, promote listings, etc.

For digital services vendors they seem to love the traditional upsale method.

Let me preface this by saying I agree 100% with you in regards to people walking in and expecting to "catch" you off guard and try to get time with you right then and there. However, I can tell you from experience that if I walk in to your store all I ever want to do is shake your hand and ask if it's okay to follow up with you later and ask for an appointment. Also, I can tell you from experience that 90% of you don't answer the phone or return phone calls. Just sayin... :)

Reactions: 8 people
Dealerships are very busy places

This is the main problem. A lot of these reps have never stepped foot into a dealership except when selling their services or the few times they've purchased a vehicle. Anyone who knows the business will know that they need to respect your time and make an appointment. Small things like this separate the goats from the sheep for me.

Leading dealerships are always on the lookout for that one product that's going to help keep them at the front of the pack. Others just react to the latest trends and follow the leaders. Thus they are always following.

Perhaps this person did try calling and nobody picked up the phone. I give the guy credit for trying. I would rather have an over aggressive salesperson than a non aggressive salesperson. I say give the guy/gal a break and offer a time to come back.

Reactions: 4 people
I know that everyone has different situations. However, why do some vendors insist on showing up unannounced without trying to make an appointment? I understand that they have to make a living but please respect everyone's time and call ahead. Dealerships are very busy places..UGH!!!!

For my sales people, it takes 10 to 20 times the number of calls to get a sit down than it does to just show up. How much of you and your dealership's time does it take to deal with 10 to 20 messages?

For me personally, I do my best to look at anything that looks like it could improve my business. Not just me -but "everyone" saves time when I take the first reasonable opportunity to do that. I get less visits, less calls, less messages and far less emails once that's happened. Sometimes I am lucky enough (to have the time) where I can make my mind up while the representative is on the phone or standing in front of me answering questions.

Does it really matter (within reason) how an opportunity arrives? The sooner you decide, the better for everyone. Even you.

How often do you hear ..

They aren't available right now, but I can send you through to voice mail ...​

Most frustrating to me is when a dealer complains that we don't take care of him and we have called/emailed/showed up/sent smoke signed on a daily basis and just could not get a hold of him.

I used to be happy when dealers told me "come anytime, I'm always here". That guy is never there. Nowadays I'm happy when I say "Monday, 11:45am" and they agree.

Reactions: 4 people