• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Some Vendors....Ughhh

If you are going to bounce in a dealership, it helps to have large ta-tas and a short dress. I would see them come in and the New Car Managers would flirt with them and then bring them to me. I was the bad news guy. I was often the one that was told to cut vendors, even when it wasn't my department.

Having been on both sides, I found the most effective way to secure a client is to get an introduction from a satisfied customer. I've had clients call their friends, on my behalf, and they always will found time to see me.

I don't mind someone popping in, as long as they don't walk in my office and sit down and expect to have my attention. I think it is very courteous and effective when someone stops in for literally one minute, hands me a card, introduces themselves, and asks for an appointment. Even better, offer to bring lunch when you come back for the appointment.

I'm down with that!

Dan Rank:
Hot Button?
Lunch!

Bam, we have something in common, that was my favorite subject in school!

I agree 100%. I cannot stand vendors who keep calling even though I asked them to simply email the details.
I know sometimes you're better at selling on the phone, but please listen to your customers. If I say I'll get back to you when the time is right, I will.

This is fun to spin this...

I agree 100%. I cannot stand Car Dealers who keep calling even though I asked them to simply email the details.
I know sometimes you're better at selling on the phone, but please listen to your customers. If I say I'll get back to you when the time is right, I will.

:)

Reactions: 7 people
:iagree:

I was thinking the same thing Joe. We're constantly marketing and too often forget what it FEELS like to be marketed to. How many of us use a DVR to actively avoid the same commercials the dealer purchased? Do you stream Grooveshark to avoid Radio and Pandora ads? The first 5 seconds of pre-roll video is an excellent opportunity to mute and check a different tab too, right? Ever have to ask for a raincheck for an advertised product that wasn't in stock? Ever used Best Buy's tablets to check the price on an item at their competitor down the street? Have you asked them to "price match" the item or just walked out without telling anyone why? Ever used Foursquare Tips to pick your meal, or maybe avoid a place entirely based on the comments left by others?

I don't have the answers, but I think we can benefit when we hold our Marketer and Marketee roles in tension.

Reactions: 2 people
It doesn't matter if you are a consumer or the decision maker at a dealership, You block calls and mark emails as junk. That is what happens when you become a pest.

Doug,

Is not about being a pest, is about someone thinking he is so important or so busy that can't smile and say "I'm buy right now" or "could you come back some other time" or "not today, or "you-make-up-the excuse".

We are ALL vendors to something and clients to somebody. Even my kids are the candy vendors, they try to sell me the fact that they need more candy almost every day.

I was an annoying sales guy at one point and I learned by trial an error. Went to a lot of places, knocked a lot of doors, some closed some opened.

Nowadays I get calls from people that sell show supplies, cameras, insurance, etc and I take 2 seconds from my day and tell them that I'm busy. The person on the other side is just trying to make a living and I'm not that important after all.

Remember that the sales guy that comes to see you also has a sales manager that asks for reports, CRM entries, conversations, etc.

Dealers are vendors and vendors are dealers of something to someone at some point.

Reactions: 2 people
Doug,

Is not about being a pest, is about someone thinking he is so important or so busy that can't smile and say "I'm buy right now" or "could you come back some other time" or "not today, or "you-make-up-the excuse".

We are ALL vendors to something and clients to somebody. Even my kids are the candy vendors, they try to sell me the fact that they need more candy almost every day.

I was an annoying sales guy at one point and I learned by trial an error. Went to a lot of places, knocked a lot of doors, some closed some opened.

Nowadays I get calls from people that sell show supplies, cameras, insurance, etc and I take 2 seconds from my day and tell them that I'm busy. The person on the other side is just trying to make a living and I'm not that important after all.

Remember that the sales guy that comes to see you also has a sales manager that asks for reports, CRM entries, conversations, etc.

Dealers are vendors and vendors are dealers of something to someone at some point.

I totally agree. There is a difference between trying to conduct business and being a pest. Have you ever had a rep say, "what you don't want to sell cars?"

Reactions: 1 person
I wish I had more time to go door to door, it's so much fun!

I love the word NO:)

Manny,

If you have the time and the nerves of steel to go door knockin' my hat is off to you.

In my town, the only successful cold caller/door knocker I've seen is our Pool Boy. My wife signed the contract the first time he came by.... and we don't even have a pool!

Reactions: 1 person