• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
It is 80% there. It will get 97% there in the next five to ten years. The real question is whether the cost savings to your dealership are worth it over your current provider.

I heard they sold out the entire 2023 install year at NADA by the show's second day. So, quite a few dealers felt it was worth it.

My company integrates with its CRM and pulls DMS data. The CRM was missing a lot of basic functionality a few months ago. They've been updating quickly. It is still more work to get a new account for DMS pulls than the more established systems.

As Tekion is still in the early phases, and I have no idea what your store's tolerances are, I have to keep my post vague. There are a few dealers on DealerRefresh living with it daily.

Reactions: craigh
I did a Tekion migration last year. Severely understaffed company for the migration, CRM was super far from being ready even though the pitch deck showed it as completed. Ended up having to do the DMS only and postpone the CRM for 1 year based on their estimates of what I would consider "basic CRM functionality".

That being said, they're at least making an effort in this space, which should not go unnoticed. Moving from DealerTrack to Tekion, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Just be wary of "all the things it can do", because some of those things are on a backlog even though the buttons are in the UI. The installation crew had a very different tone than the sales crew (as with a lot of vendors). It's also been a year since I did that migration, but that backlog was BIGGGG and we had to make internal changes fast to accomodate! :cool:

I did a Tekion migration last year. Severely understaffed company for the migration, CRM was super far from being ready even though the pitch deck showed it as completed. Ended up having to do the DMS only and postpone the CRM for 1 year based on their estimates of what I would consider "basic CRM functionality".

That being said, they're at least making an effort in this space, which should not go unnoticed. Moving from DealerTrack to Tekion, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Just be wary of "all the things it can do", because some of those things are on a backlog even though the buttons are in the UI. The installation crew had a very different tone than the sales crew (as with a lot of vendors). It's also been a year since I did that migration, but that backlog was BIGGGG and we had to make internal changes fast to accomodate! :cool:
Props to the guys who do installations for a living. I have done a few and the word "easy" did not cross my mind once.

Reactions: craigh
The installation crew had a very different tone than the sales crew (as with a lot of vendors).
In our experience many of the installers did not communicate with each other nor did they seem supported. I recall one of them showing up with a Tekion embroidered shirt and the other installers asking how he got one. He just replied that he made it himself because he felt weird going into installs without something that said "Tekion" on it. They were all a little disillusioned, or it seemed to me. This was Nov/Dec 2022. The biggest issue, since we would be launching 7 locations, was they did not follow our instructions to set up all stores the same way. Sales desking, Op codes, service schedule, etc ended up being set up differently and installers seemed reluctant to communicate with other installers across town in other stores doing the installation at the same time. Most installers commented that ours was the first "enterprise" installation they had done. It was clear they were not wired for enterprise, just one or two store set-ups. Some of the installers had never worked in retail automotive, which is fine, but their lack of context made it frustrating in the way they set up some items, especially in a non-traditional store like ours.

I did have them pump the brakes on CRM. It was clear I was asking the sales team in the CRM demo questions that they had not had before. They DID come back a month later with updates to the system at my request, but it still was not enough as well as they were lacking that enterprise functionality. They had "I worked at a dealer" employees but clearly, they had not been in the CRM at their dealer nor really understood CRM for anything other than "log that customer and do the tasks". Before our installation, they pulled their digital retailing tool from the market. We weren't going for it regardless but if you can't figure out a DR tool in 2022, something is broken.

I'm rooting for them but with Ford EV now partnering with Salesforce I am sure we will have no choice but to use the CRM required by our OEMs. We already must keep one instance of XTime for Mazda and run all other service schedulers on Tekion.

Anyone either considering or already made the switch to Tekion?
Would love some comments. Currently on Reynolds
Thanks....
My initial concern was "developed by some guy that worked at Tesla". I suppose the thought was we should all be impressed someone darkened a door at Tesla and have suddenly become a DMS expert. The idea to take a fresh look at the dms is good. The money we pay for a dms is crazy, but this approach didn't strike me as they are ready for prime time and can stand on real strength of their product. Maybe some day.