• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The History Of The Internet. When Did you hop on?

WOW.....takes me back. I started with Quantum Link in about 1986, this was the OLD AOL that was dedicated to Commodore 64 and 128 people, yes I had a Commodore 128! (one of the few). While not truly the "internet" at that time, it was a pretty good size of users. My Mom let me set-up an account on a temp basis - saying my grades would be the deciding factor (yes I was 12). Their focus at the time was really games and chat - I think it was $19.95/month - and the first month I won one of their community strategy games - with a prize that was 1 year of free service! LOL, bet my Mom didn't see that coming!

I also started designing BBS's for some local guys in my area, these were all ASCII at the time. And on a 2400 baud modem, was really all anyone could handle.

I actually got a code-name - "Gotcha" - and spent late nights figuring out computer things that a early teen should probably not be figuring out. Let's just say I had alot of fun - with the FBI being involved at one point.

Turned 16, got my car, and the computers went bye-bye - until I took a class in High School for Pascal programming about a year later. Got re-hooked and the rest as they say is history....

Drew, WOW, BBS's at 2.4k baud! OMG, BACK IN THE DAY!

I sold my 2 Auto Acessories stores and my Home Theater/Automation store in '94 (messy divorce) and bought a PC to start a career in graphics. Then Steve Case of AOL put free floppy's in all the magazines and away I went. I've been employed and self-employed full-time on the internet ever since.

Joe Pistell, Internet Class of '94
Drew Ament, Internet Class of '86

hahaa

Now everything has an IP address, even our fridge!

Joe, you still into HT and Automation?

No, not really Chip. Got the surprise Divorce notice served to me and blew a fuse and sold out to my partner. Took my big a*s check, gave 1/2 to the IRS and the other 1/2 to the ex-wife, got off the fast track, put on flip-flops, moved to Anna Maria Island and never looked back.

The HT and Automation biz was a 5,000 sq Ft startup in it's 1st year back in '94. HT was so pre-historic, gigantic laser discs the size of LP's, I was a Pioneer Elite dealer, I still have a 15year old Pioneer VSX902s multi-room rcvr that's never been turned on. Hell, X-10 was X.0010 back then! hahaha. Had big plans for that startup, but, that was then... Anyways, Island living and the brand new internet swallowed me up.

I've just built a new home and I'm settling down again, I'm getting the HT/automation bug again. Doing some custom landscape lighting, and while we're on the subject, WHY CAN'T MY HOT TUB BE SET VIA WEB BROWSER? That's neoanderathal bullsh*t!

Joe you're old. ;)

I got in on the net just as the World Wide Web was being released. I read an article in some magazine about this thing called the WWW - I don't remember what magazine it was but it encouraged me to jump into my GTi and head over to Sunrise electronics in the next town.

I was 17 and somehow got approved for credit and within a few days I had my HP 133 set up in my bedroom dialing out to a local service called mindspring - later bought out by EarthLink. Mostly stuck to different newsgroups until Netscape became the browser of choice.

We sure have come a long way so fast.

Here is one for ya...

My son at age 2 (he's seven now) was a whiz with the mouse.

My daughter - now 2, wouldn't know what to do with a mouse if you showed her. But she can navigate my ipad like no ones business.