• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Uncle Joe's Make Over Diary

BookMark Opportunity!!

Google Places Tool Kit

I am teaching my son Michael all about Google Adwords (so I can hand him off the reins), and I am proud to announce he has PASSED his Google AdWords certification. :)

I am now teaching him everything I know about local search. I am 18months into "trying" to conquer Google Places, my 100's of hours of research will be displayed here and in here and I've dropped a DealerRefresh Jewel right up front for you all to profit from...

The Local Search Jewel:
EVERYONE. Listen to Jeff Kerschner. Work your customer review system hard. Google is using it as a STRONG quality signal to rank your business in Google Places.

Now, on to the my research summary area (decision makers, hand this off to your web people, EVERYTHING they need is in here):

Google's Local Search Overview FYI:
YouTube - Local Search Ranking

Details:
Local Search Gurus (like our Dev Besau) have tried to master Google Places, all agree... we're lost. There is no road map to greatness. Google leaves us to guess what they want! Time and time again, "Dirt lot" and back yard Dealers rank ahead of us.

Google needs help...
This problem happens to ALL industries, so all of the Local Search Gurus got together and shared their best practices and created Local Search Ranking Factors (a must read for you or your web vendor). Then a few players in this group created GetListed.org (another MUST SEE if your serious about improving your local search game). Be sure to work your results thru this excellent service: Local Search Toolkit | Your Local Search Headquarters Look into WhiteSpark, an excellent tool to help improve your understanding of you and your competitors: Whitespark Local Citation Finder for Local SEO

Ok, once you claim your listing, you should follow Brian Pasch's excellent step by step review of how to fill out your Google Places Page. Finding out who is a legit business and who isn't ain't easy. Google depends on Local Search Providers to help them produce the best list possible. These players are: infoUSA, Acxiom, infoGroup, Localeze and Universal Business Listing . If you want Google to know who you are, you have to use these players.

If you follow all of the above, then it all blows up and you tear your hair out trying to understand WHY Allston Auto Brokers ranks for used car dealer, boston, ma (position D on the map) This listing violates EVERY KNOWN RULE (see it here).

• Unclaimed Listing
  • Web Address is dead
  • Far from City Center
  • Business address NOT in City proper

Arrrrgg!!! WTF! How can this happen???

One way only.... 26 REVIEWS

Number of Reviews trumps all other signals Google is looking for. In Google's world, there is no single rule that is the be all, end all, but reviews are a very very very strong signal. I have also found that Google dosent care if its good or bad reviews, it's the number of reviews that helps give a business authority (aka proof of existence).

p.s. My Google Certified son is looking for more work. If you need help in adwords or local, contact me at joepistell[at]gmail.com

Last edited:
Dear Diary,

Thanks to the team at HomeNet, were hiting on all cylinders. 4Q study is now closed with 248 entries and now we rollout our feedback tool to get feedback detail down to the page level.

View attachment 283

more as it comes

Feedback tool feedback just reminded me that I violated a cardinal rule:

"Don't force users into dumb stuff just to produce ROI stats".

Page: /appointments.asp
Find what you were looking for on page? False
Was what you needed easy to find? Can't Find it!!
What's missing?
the service departments phone number.! Seems dumb to list the 800 number only to have the operator have to give a different number
Suggestions?
list the phone number
Date Submitted: 3/24/2011 9:33:08 AM

!!FAIL CORRECTED!!!

Google adwords is an important part of my makeover.

A successful Google ad campaign is a one-two punch. 1st punch is drive the traffic (Google), the 2nd punch is to deliver a memorable shopping experience (our website, as seen in GA engagement stats).

My son and I spend a great deal of time delivering the right message to the right keywords. After a great deal of planning and execution, Here is an example of our "First Punch".

subaru%20legacy%20for%20sale%20-%20Google%20Search%20-%20Google%20Chrome%203232011%20100109%20AM.jpg

I am very proud of the work we're putting out on Google adwords. That ad you see above is VERY cutting edge. My fellow AdWords pros out there would admire how we nail every marketing angle that Google presents to us. Over the last 4 months, My son and I have produced 2,371 different ads. Thankfully, the Google ad system tells us which ads are the most successful and gives them priority. Smart or what?

Now onto the 2nd punch... the landing page (aka makeover)
Used%20Subaru%20Legacys%20For%20Sale%20%20Syracuse%2C%20Utica%2C%20Binghamton%2C%20Rochester%2C%20Central%20New%20York%20-%20Mozilla%20Firefox%203252011%2072401%20AM.jpg

Make/Model landing pages are an important asset and they need more respect... They need help. They work on many levels. They are PPC and Organic SEO landing pages. They are Product education too! In site visitors may see a unit and not know anything about it. We forget that most shoppers couldn't tell you the difference between a Kia Sorrento and a Kia Sedona... let alone what they are! But, they may discover it on your site and want more info on it.

Not everyone has the depth of inventory that we do, but, you all have "key products" that your stock regularly. We have 1,000 used units for sale, nearly every make and model. My challenge it to create a far better Make/Model landing page than I have now. I'll create and launch one or two, measure it, improve it, then create a template for all makes and models.

Let's have a moment of silence for my poor pals at HomeNet... what a challenge we have ahead!

Last edited:
Wow Joe, VERY impressive. I love the idea of a landing page for ATC customers (or Cars.com, craigslist, etc.). You already know what the customer was doing 2 seconds ago and what led them to you, so why not use that information to your advantage.

Wow Joe, VERY impressive. I love the idea of a landing page for ATC customers (or Cars.com, craigslist, etc.). You already know what the customer was doing 2 seconds ago and what led them to you, so why not use that information to your advantage.

TY Ed.

I'll tinker with the message. I like David Moon's spin a lot. Overall, I am concerned to produce a message that'll spook the shopper (they PREFER to remain stealth).

HookLogic can do it.
I sat in on Jeff Kershner's webinar with HookLogic. I liked what I heard there. I'd bet that HookLogic could copy this and roll it out easily. I REALLY like HookLogic's presentation where the shopper has to choose which prize you want when you arrive (folks LIKE to say NO to create a YES).

TY Ed.

I'll tinker with the message. I like David Moon's spin a lot. Overall, I am concerned to produce a message that'll spook the shopper (they PREFER to remain stealth).

A/B testing is a good thing. Trust me, I worked hard to five years to get dealers to open emails using the right language. Consumers are a lot easier to target. My father was an advertising copywriter and editor, and it's not easy.