• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Uncle Joe's Make Over Diary

That makes A LOT more sense to me! Create an urgency with the time limit, make the deal and a first payment paid. If you can, I'd change ... Register to Enter to Register to Qualify. I'd probably sign up.

Refreshed the Autotrader.com gateway page, seeking opinions again, please CLICK HERE.

BEFORE you click, remember, you are an AutoTrader.com shopper, you're on a VDP (Veh Detail Page) on a unit you like and you've clicked the link to the dealers website...

thoughts?

Dear Diary,

I about fell outta my chair when I took a 18mo look at our Google SEO traffic. I'm always looking at the default 30 day charts and I missed this record setting pace. Right at Jan 1, 2011 the rocket took off!

Search%20Engine%20-%20Google%20Analytics%20-%20Mozilla%20Firefox%203182011%2042815%20PM.jpg

My 1st thoughts was how proud of the work I’ve done. Then, I realize that this is probably the work of the new Google Panda Algo reset. Then, I look at the Panda reset date and it came in March! I put back on my superman cape and parade around like a proud papa!

Then I ask... Which keywords are smokin hot?? I look deeper, I create a 60day look back and compare keyword traffic in 2011 vs same period in 2010. Google will display the net change YoY. Everywhere I look are Geo markers in the 2011 keywords . Names of my most important cities and towns around me, all connected to generic phrases (i.e. used cars for sale city, state or used car dealer near city).

Wow, ok. I've done a truck load of local SEO and added custom landing pages for cities, but, I did that MONTHS ago. Hmmm... I smell an algo reset that I've missed. This all hit on Jan 1st 2011 (almost to the day).

Then, I look deeper and I see SEO traffic is up on Bing and Yahoo too. Oh oh... is this a rising market that jacking these numbers?

Yup. There she blows!
http://siteanalytics.compete.com/kbb.com+autotrader.com+cars.com/?metric=uv&months=12
KBB, Trader and Cars all smokin hot!

Summary time.
I am seeing record high traffic from SEO because of all of the above. SEO work on the site, Google Algo reset (I think), and a very strong retail market... all created that great looking chart.

How did you site do?
You can recreate it and see yourself (or ask your guru to bust this out for you)!!

In my example:
Google Analytics >> Visitors >> Traffic Sources >> Search Engines >> Google >> show: non-paid

Next, I want to remove all "white pages phone book traffic" (remove dealer name so it's just searches unrelated to dealer name). You can do that bY going to:

Advanced Segments >> Custom Segments: remove all dealer name keywords
(In my example, I removed: Sun, King, Warehouse).

HTH!
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Last edited:
Refreshed the Autotrader.com gateway page, seeking opinions again, please CLICK HERE.

BEFORE you click, remember, you are an AutoTrader.com shopper, you're on a VDP (Veh Detail Page) on a unit you like and you've clicked the link to the dealers website...

thoughts?

I see you cut back on the verbiage/copy. More to the point now. Still wonder if you have a small AT icon - graphic somewhere. Can you adjust the time delay in which the offer is presented?

I do have some suggestions on the copywriting ... It still sounds contest-like. Try this ...

Shop With Us, and We’ll Make Your 1st Payment!

AutoTrader.com Shopper—It’s Your Lucky Day!

EXCLUSIVE OFFER FOR YOU:

Make your best deal on any vehicle from our dealership within the next 72 hours, and we'll make your 1st payment as a big bonus for doing business with us!

This is a limited time offer, and you must register now to qualify.

Make Your Best Deal
—Drive Home Happy!
Disclaimer: You must register to enter. You must provide valid email, telephone and contact information for the offer to be verified and approved. A vehicle purchase must be made within 72 hours of registration. In some cases, special extensions may be granted upon request (i.e. holidays, insurance claims, etc.) This offer is only good up to $500 towards your 1st payment. Still have questions? Please call us today for details.

Sun Auto Warehouse & Sun Chevrolet in Cicero, Chittenango and Cortland 1-877-207-5577

I do have some suggestions on the copywriting ... It still sounds contest-like. Try this ...

Shop With Us, and We’ll Make Your 1st Payment!

AutoTrader.com Shopper—It’s Your Lucky Day!

EXCLUSIVE OFFER FOR YOU:

Make your best deal on any vehicle from our dealership within the next 72 hours, and we'll make your 1st payment as a big bonus for doing business with us!

This is a limited time offer, and you must register now to qualify.

Make Your Best Deal
Drive Home Happy!
Disclaimer: You must register to enter. You must provide valid email, telephone and contact information for the offer to be verified and approved. A vehicle purchase must be made within 72 hours of registration. In some cases, special extensions may be granted upon request (i.e. holidays, insurance claims, etc.) This offer is only good up to $500 towards your 1st payment. Still have questions? Please call us today for details.

Sun Auto Warehouse & Sun Chevrolet in Cicero, Chittenango and Cortland 1-877-207-5577

David! Mad Skillz! Kudos! 2 Thumbs up! Well Done!

Great Feedback coming in already!

"...the worst thing about this site is the continuous pop-up asking if i want help. say 'no' and navigate to another page and it pops up again. gets so annoying that i leave and go elsewhere."

I have been RANTING on this topic to Chat vendors for YEARS on this topic and they look at me like I am from mars. Grrr...

Todd Smith of AE has built a solution for me but I haven't rolled it out. No excuses. My Bad.

We have listened to our dealers and are rolling out an option that once the site visitor "x" out it does not show up again no matter how many times you have in settings to show. That will be live soon.