• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What ways could dealers be more transparent, IDEAS anyone?

I'll give it to you for free:

But there IS an easy answer to, "What can dealers do to become more transparent?" They can post their triple net cost, then advertise their margin. See how easy that was? Who wants to go first?
God bless you Ruggles. Are we still talking about this? Whatever happened to free enterprise? competitive marketplaces? Liberals thats what happened!

In terms of transparency, I started putting a 3 ring binder in all of my cars with the following info.

1. The front cover has the as is sticker (i keep the binder on the dash with as is sticker in plain view)
2. carfax report including carfax price adjustment
3. copy of the 125 pt inspection
4. receipt showing what was repaired at independent mechanic after inspection
5. emissions test
6. vauto live market view report showing what similar cars are selling for
7. specs sheet on car
8. aftermarket warranty info and price
9. printout from yelp showing that I am ranked #1 in town with 5 star rating.

It has been a huge help to me, employees, and customers. Almost everything is covered right there and it has helped close sales.

This took me 1 day and $50 to buy the binders, plastic sleeves, print the reports, and assemble everything. I wish I would have done this along time ago.

In terms of transparency, I started putting a 3 ring binder in all of my cars with the following info.

1. The front cover has the as is sticker (i keep the binder on the dash with as is sticker in plain view)
5. emissions test
7. specs sheet on car

It has been a huge help to me, employees, and customers. Almost everything is covered right there and it has helped close sales.

This took me 1 day and $50 to buy the binders, plastic sleeves, print the reports, and assemble everything. I wish I would have done this along time ago.
it's good, but that is a lot for your average customer to chew.

it is a lot of info, but the response has been great. Its helpful for the sales person as well. Most customer questions can answered with the info in the 3 ring binder

just quickly go over the info to summarize and then let them browse at their own speed.

5. emissions test
7. specs sheet on car

Something so simple yet effective. And not over thought.

We use a service that allows us to email all this information to the customer. Sending these packets is something I ride the salespeople hard on. I'm always encouraging them to print them out for the customer in the showroom as well.

Let's make an informed decisions.

This isn't rocket science....

Not disagreeing with the post @Jeff Kershner but years ago I had a client that did that, customer bought a car from him and engine blew up 6+ months later. Don't remember how old the car was, whether the customer didn't take care of the car, etc. But I remember that it came down to a judge that based on one of this booklets where the dealer described all that work and inspection that the car had to be missrepresented because otherwise it would have never passed all those awesome looking reports (in thr eyes of the judge). So all this info was used against the dealer.