• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What's the most annoying thing on your website?

i-j4ZxFpz.gif
EEEEeeeeeewwwwwwwww!!

How about those chat boxes that slide down or pop-up on Every. Single. Page?

I was on a dealer website the other day and it made the experience a real pain in the ass. To a point that I called the dealer and told them I would no longer consult with then until they removed it. :)

Reactions: Salete
Unnecessary menu items bother me and intrusive chat popups. That whole bottom bar thing is ridiculous too. Where does something like that come from? There's too much "me too" patterns I see in this industry that, to me, do not make any sense to people shopping on the site. It seems like its all there to please everyone else BUT the shopper :/

While we're on the topic, I'm sure there are some dealers here that have some sort of "My Vehicles" system on their site where a user can select a bunch of cars and decide on them in the end. Would this be only effective for independents with 400+ cars? Does the user have to create an account?

If I'm not mistaken I believe Joe Pistell had that on usedcarking.

I'm sure there are some dealers here that have some sort of "My Vehicles" system on their site where a user can select a bunch of cars and decide on them in the end. Would this be only effective for independents with 400+ cars? Does the user have to create an account?

I've seen some vendors offer it. I have a platform that offers it in two forms: Recently Viewed and My Favorites. Recently Viewed uses cookies so it's not saved if you reset your browser history. My Favorites works from a user registration system (you can use Facebook to sign up).

It is really quite handy - not just for shoppers but for your sales staff within the dealership going through the lot with customers.

For the record: My pet peeve is ANY THING that interrupts shopper workflow.

Examples like:
  • Any un-intelligent popovers,
  • gateways (i.e. register to view),
  • complex search facets are out of control (I'm with Amir!)
  • Home pages that are too busy
    • If your home page has more than 1 blinking thing on it... KILL IT ;-)
  • SRP's noise drives me nuts.
    • SRP's with small pics
    • SRP's with VINs and lead gen CTAs is nuts.
  • VDPs with small pics of cars,
    • VDPs with 100 CTAs above the fold,
    • VDPs with eye ball exploding Options lists that are 100 miles long drive me nuts. They start out with "4 tires..." and end with "intermittent wipers". Ugh!

Give me 100 yards of white board, I could talk for hours and fill it all ;-)

p.s. Amir:
While we're on the topic, I'm sure there are some dealers here that have some sort of "My Vehicles" system on their site where a user can select a bunch of cars and decide on them in the end. Would this be only effective for independents with 400+ cars? Does the user have to create an account?

If I'm not mistaken I believe Joe Pistell had that on usedcarking.

MyCars was a tool built on the old UsedCarKing.com [archive.org link] and was my 1st project here. It's specifically designed to assist a shopper to be more 'productive'. It's highly shopper friendly:
  • No login req'd for recently viewed or saving to favorites.
  • Optional registration enables an alert system* and the login enables multi-screen viewing (work/home/mobile).
  • FB login avail (but few shoppers use it)
  • It is dealer group friendly. It works seamlessly over a groups multiple websites (e.g. shopper hops easily from VDP of group's Ford site VDP of group's Nissan site)

*Automatic Alerts
-Change in Price (down or up ;-)
-Change in Incentives
-Change is Status (e.g. Unit was Sold or is Deal Pending)
-New Arrival (matches yr/make/model/trim)

thnx
Joe

Last edited: