• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What's Your Mobile Page Speed? It's Now Becoming an Official Google Ranking Factor

@Alexander Lau

AMP pages should not be "needed" if your website loads quicker than the "norm" (espn, cnn, etc.) Additionally, there are restrictions on AMP pages.

:2cents: Concentrate on your own site, optimize it and get it to convert.

I would concentrate on your own site, but absolutely add AMP if you can.
I'm a huge fan - the restrictions are the whole idea behind AMP.
The javascript still allows for product filters and other important tools, but aside from that the site is blazing fast static files.

@Alexander Lau

AMP pages should not be "needed" if your website loads quicker than the "norm" (espn, cnn, etc.) Additionally, there are restrictions on AMP pages.

:2cents: Concentrate on your own site, optimize it and get it to convert.
I'm not sure where that comes from, I was replying to @reverson and @Jeff Kershner. They were interested in finding out if an automotive classified group or platform had implemented AMP into their syndication effort(s). Looks like LotLinx does.

https://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2018/07/10/google-marketing-live

#7: Mobile Speed Score Gets a Column
google-marketing-live-2018-mobile-speed.png

What good are responsive search ads if your mobile landing pages aren’t up to snuff? Not very, according to Google Ads Project Management Director Anthony Chavez: 50% of users will move on from a potential purchase if the landing page is slow to load.

Just a day removed from announcing that the Speed Update had officially rolled out to all users, Google announced the release of a Mobile Landing Page Speed Score column on the Landing Pages page within Google Ads. The tool scores landing page speed on a ten-point scale--from “very slow” to “extremely fast”--and does so based on a number of factors, including the relationship between page speed and potential conversion rate.

Wait, what about PageSpeed Insights and Test My Site? How is this different?

Well, not only does the Mobile Landing Page Speed Score column live within the Google Ads UI--so you no longer have to leave Google Ads to assess page speed--not only is it automatically updated daily, but it’s the first of Google’s speed tools to take potential ad performance into account when ascribing a score. For paid search advertisers, this is sure to be the page speed tool of choice.

If you think 13 is low, you should let dealers upload any images they want without resizing them.
Have seen a few 0 scores due to dealers putting multiple 7mb sliders on their homepage.

These tests keep changing and unless you essentially game them, a high score gets harder and harder.
All part of the scam to convince everyone to use AMP.

Reactions: Chris Cachor
@craigh, I completely understand what you're saying. It wasn't very long ago that they were using this as a selling tool though. Now, it looks like it's been abandoned.

100%
This is why I asked our sales team not to take that bait, because we had almost every client call us and say "Vendor so and so sent us a screenshot and our website isn't scoring high enough, their websites score 92/100".

I guess whats kinda irritating me is that there is clearly an issue going on somewhere. Even using Pingdom, there's a lag issue and my site provider prob won't do anything about it until it gets brought to their attention.
upload_2019-8-12_14-8-11.png

Using Pingdom, I think this could very well be the main culprit from what pingdom is reporting. One is at 34,000 ms (34 secs) and the other is at 36,000 ms (36 secs).
upload_2019-8-12_14-18-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-12_14-7-17.png
    upload_2019-8-12_14-7-17.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2019-8-12_14-11-40.png
    upload_2019-8-12_14-11-40.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: craigh