• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

When do you AXE your TOP Sales Pro?

@Tallcool1 I guess I haven't met your version of Mr. 30.

If this guy is selling 30 cars a month on his own purely through self-promotion and referrals from those who have purchased from him in the past, I would not mess with that. I'd even go as far as to say he is entitled to it.

But if he takes even one phone pop, one internet lead, even an up from the sales manager, the deal's off.

I just haven't met anyone who has generated 100% of his sales on his own. Yet.

This situation isn't unique to automotive, or even sales in general. In my career, I've had to manage more than a few primadonna types in various roles, who perform above average, but feel that the rules shouldn't apply to them because they are top-performers. I always handled it by first asking "Is there a reason this person refuses to comply with <insert process here>?" Maybe it's a dumb idea? Maybe it's antiquated? Maybe they are right? Maybe we can tweak the process to make it more efficient? They key is that you actually listen and understand why this person doesn't want to comply.

Now, assuming the process is something that is important to the company, then they need to comply. If they don't, they need to leave. Period. You'll never create the highest-performing team by having two sets of rules: One for the rebels, one for everyone else. It's toxic and good people that could grow into top performers will just quit. Sure, it's painful. But if you are trying to build the best possible team, then you must have everyone pulling in the same direction.

my $0.02

On the negative side...
  • Owner/Managers are often co-dependent (i.e. the cause of this monster)
  • Co-dependent owner' managers typically suck at recruiting, training & process (which makes them co-dependent).
  • I recommend highly scrutinizing the sources of Mr 30's sales. I've seen Mr 30's burn thru leads/ups using highly developed word tracks aimed on "close 'em fast or broom 'em"

On the positive side...
  • If Mr 30 represents the store well, has a decent closing ratio, follow-up and CSI, he/she's worth 2-3 reps. Get him/her a personal assistant ASAP, then, create a program where any rep can qualify for their own personal assistant.