• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Who has the BEST 'Photo Overlay'?

I am in the middle of trying to decide on an overlay or not. We use Dealer Specialties to do our photos, we are starting Monday (cause it's too damn hot next 2 days in Va, 98 - 102!!) to do 10 new and 30 used. I did the math, its cheaper to have them do it than employee someone or add this to someone alreay overloaded for our store. And our rep does a good job.

To me it needs to be simple, again, the emphasis is on the vehicle for the consumer. When you look at homes online, there are no overlays. I enjoy looking at boats because I am a boater, and no overlays, they place the emphasis on the product. I am thinking about a small overlay that may have our logo to the bottom left. Used units have the GM Certified used logo if certified and maybe the CarFax 1 Owner logo. But nothing crazy.

Alex, I am curious, why did you all stop with the overlays at CF?

Jeff, you have a good looking overlay, and Joe, the simple Sun logo in the corner is great.

Eley,

When I do some ebay shopping & I want to find that item I liked several days later I scan the thumbnails for that picture that I remember. IMO, a photo overlay helps me scan and find that item I was looking for.

That being said...
I have seen a thumbnail with an overlay and it reminded me that I've already seen it and don't look at it again!

For us car dealers, it's a branding exercise.

...When you look at homes online, there are no overlays. ...

Cars break and car buyers know they need us after the sale.
When you buy a home from a Real estate broker, the relationship ends. Who you buy your home from is not an issue.

That being said... ;-)
If I was the manager of an Real Estate office, I'd put watermarks (i.e. overlays) on all of my listings in the hope that it may generate more listing biz.

All great points Joe, thanks. I dont disagree with the overlay, if done right. Some are just way too busy and offering too much, or the same info that is already on a VDP, or should be!

I have seen watermarks on a lot of boat ads, they sometimes are annoying when trying to look if not done right.

I say it needs to be about the car, not about how much info you can squeeze into the overlay. Keep it simple!

I look at the overlay in the same way I do a display ad. Give me the Impressions for increased branding.

I wish Homenet would allow me to assign different overlays according to the ad source I'm exporting, allowing to incorporate a different call to action.

110% totally agree!

HOMENET webiol 2.0 design team, I HOPE YOU HAVE BEEN LISTENING!! Empower your power players! We want to REWARD the shoppers with a better experience, give us the tools and let us run with the ball!!!

Check this new tool we built Overlay feed tool

I had been wanting to build this since this thread mentioned it.