• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

You Tube

What consumer, in their right mind, really wants to send an Internet Lead anyway?

Wait Alex, without "internet leads" we'll no longer need an "internet department" - what will we do?

I'm sure you meant that statement with a little sarcasm, but yet it could garner a lot of merit. Think about it. :)

Is the pendulum swinging once again?

Many people are still willing to fill out the form lead on a website. I believe this to be for main 2 reasons..

1. Anonymity
2. Convenience

The more I think about it - what other reason would there be? Maybe the occasional "offer" or "incentive".

When I stepped into the Director of Marketing position with Younger Auto, my focus was traffic to the websites and traffic through the showroom door. BUT - I was paid on traffic and sales. I know how much influence our websites have on floor traffic. While using other mediums, traditional and digital, to drive that traffic to the website.

If only we could measure it? Are we back to "gut feelings"? I sure hope not...

Reactions: 1 person
IMO, the traditional lead form is growing old and cold.

Lets all say that serious online car shopping started around 2000. That's 12 years ago. That's roughly 3-4 buying cycles. The same old form is predictable, it's always in your face, every shopper ignores it, it's stale. And for those shoppers that did submit a form before, did it improve the shoppers task, or, did it unleash a commissioned rep to hound them until they were told to STOP? If they had a poor experience, will they submit a form again? NOT.

IMO, this is why Chat is a home run.
IMO, this is why you need to be creative in how you "work your audience".
It's simply merchandising 101, "always give the shopper something new and fresh to look at".

Lead tools like HookLogic, DriveItNow, BlackBookOnline, etc. are fresh new tools we all should be dishing up --AND-- we should be burying that old and tired "gimme your name" form down low on the page. Why in the world does that form occupy prime real estate??

Ok you three, while this has transformed into a great conversation its gotten a little off track about optimizing You Tube videos!!

I have to say you all brought up some great points, we are seeing a slight shift as well, maybe a new thread needs to get started.

Sorry Eley - here's my take:

People don't use YouTube to buy cars; they use it to learn about cars. They use your website to buy cars. Wrong messaging using your stitched videos on YouTube, no matter how good the SEO.

• What are some cool things about the Cadillac CTS that can be shown in a video?
  • How do you set the bluetooth up?
  • What is the true gas mileage after driving one for a while when commuting in Hampton Roads?
  • Living in a climate like Hampton Roads, what is the best way to keep the car clean? Wax how often?
Make your videos to answer one specific question per video and you will get more views. With more views you can brand the Duke name better on YouTube.

The future of SEO is less about SEO and more about content that generates views, Likes, subscribes, +1's, etc.

Reactions: 3 people
Wait Alex, without "internet leads" we'll no longer need an "internet department" - what will we do?

I'm sure you meant that statement with a little sarcasm, but yet it could garner a lot of merit. Think about it. :)

Is the pendulum swinging once again?

Many people are still willing to fill out the form lead on a website. I believe this to be for main 2 reasons..

1. Anonymity
2. Convenience

The more I think about it - what other reason would there be? Maybe the occasional "offer" or "incentive".

When I stepped into the Director of Marketing position with Younger Auto, my focus was traffic to the websites and traffic through the showroom door. BUT - I was paid on traffic and sales. I know how much influence our websites have on floor traffic. While using other mediums, traditional and digital, to drive that traffic to the website.

If only we could measure it? Are we back to "gut feelings"? I sure hope not...

Good conversation... I wanted to take a moment to discuss a friend of mine who was featured as a case study in Auto Dealer Monthly. December edition http://autodealermonthly.epubxp.com/issue/48414/28

Background on the GM:
January more than 2 years ago, when Josh came to the store, they were selling 40 to 50 used cars a month. By September Josh was the 17th largest used car dealer in the state of Florida. In January of 2011 he was #14. During January of 2012 Josh sold 184 used cars in a small depressed market 45 minutes North of Ft Myers.

My Point here...
Josh is generating more than 250 leads a month from his dealer site (www.pcautomall.com) and finding ways to get those leads into his store. There are a number of items relative to his dealer website that I disagree with; however, despite a number of website short falls, Josh is getting results.

Last edited:
Sorry Eley - here's my take:

People don't use YouTube to buy cars; they use it to learn about cars. They use your website to buy cars. Wrong messaging using your stitched videos on YouTube, no matter how good the SEO.

• What are some cool things about the Cadillac CTS that can be shown in a video?
  • How do you set the bluetooth up?
  • What is the true gas mileage after driving one for a while when commuting in Hampton Roads?
  • Living in a climate like Hampton Roads, what is the best way to keep the car clean? Wax how often?
Make your videos to answer one specific question per video and you will get more views. With more views you can brand the Duke name better on YouTube.

The future of SEO is less about SEO and more about content that generates views, Likes, subscribes, +1's, etc.

Great advice Alex, I appreciate it very much. I actually have been looking into doing exactly what you are talking about, and creating a page on dukeauto.com and in our video blog area, and to You Tube. We are exploring that now, trying to figure out buying video equipment, wireless mic, and editing software that will not break the bank. Know anyone that might have some advice ;)??

If the stitched video's is wrong messaging on You Tube, what should I be doing with those videos from DDC on You Tube? They are ranking high in the SERP pages when you search a geo area. Should I not plug in all the SEO junk at the bottom, and just change title to the geo area I want to target, add phone, and tag and be done with it?

If the stitched video's is wrong messaging on You Tube, what should I be doing with those videos from DDC on You Tube?

They aren't hurting anything, but I wouldn't expect much out of them on YouTube (they perform on your own website or in emails). Putting those videos on YouTube was a big feature request; not a best practice.