• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Your Website Traffic after Cash for Clunkers

kevinfrye

Sr. Refresher
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Kevin
I started our SEO efforts in June to tie into the upcoming Cash for Clunkers campaign and we were able to dominate organic searches for this term and our key market locations/brands very early on. Our website traffic absolutely exploded for July 2009, with new records across the board for ALL but one of our 15 brands. The only brand that we carried that did not show a significant increase in traffic was Cadillac, which we did not put up a Cash for Clunkers page for. Our Internet sales set records across the board. Many thanks to Brian Pasch who really lit the fire under a lot of Internet Managers across the country to get onboard with this early on. How did the rest of you do?

Record traffic to our site as well. Best New Car month since we opened, sold down our inventory big time though...which allowed me to open the floodgates on ordering new inventory...a stimulus program that actually worked, go figure!

Alex, great article by Cliff Banks that you linked to...it's amazing what happens when you put money into the hands of the consumers (that actually buy goods that make a major impact on the economy, not just alcohol, cigarettes, etc.)

We have seen giant numbers for our dealership clients as well. Some dealers traffic looks like at least a 30% uptick or more. We have also seen a large upswing in chats specific to the "Cash for Clunkers" program as well. I am glad this program has been a success even if it has been a governmental cluster. It has been awesome watching this program happen in real-time in our online console. Fun stuff.

Todd

Our biggest uptick was an 85% increase in monthly traffic for one of our Chrysler Jeep stores - and yes, our Chrysler Jeep Dodge inventory is very low. I believe every Jeep Patriot in Cincinnati was sold out. The front of our lot is fairly empty compared to normal, and huge lot behind our building is full of Clunker trade-ins...

Ditto on all accounts here.

Many of our dealer sites have seen a nice 20 to 30% increase in traffic during CARS. Even without a focus on SEO, I would say many sites still have seen the lift in traffic due to the simple fact of all the advertising.

@Kevin - Are you seeing traffic from different CARS keyword phrases? If so what were some of your winners? (No problem in sharing since it by the time you share it will be over). I found a sweet spot with different variations of "$4,500 rebate".

Our Chrysler / Jeep inventory also dried up. Not sure what we are going to do in the coming months??

Quickly looking at our analytics..it was interesting to see that even though our some of our domestic dealers made our with Cash for Clunkers, the larger increases in traffic were on the Imports sites, esp Toyota, Honda and Subaru.

Yep increases across the board except for Mitsubishi. Domestics made a huge leap especially Ford which had a 68% increase in traffic from it's previous record high. We have a Ford factory 40 miles away and I'm thinking that might have skewed our numbers in that area. None the less everyone is excited and nervous at the same time. What do you all think about statements of" a dried up buyers pool"? I am kinda hoping this new car fever is contagious/viral!

Biggest phrases were "CITY Cash for Clunkers" eg. "Cincinnati Cash for Clunkers" and/or "CITY/MAKE Cash for Clunkers" eg. "Cincinnati Chevrolet Cash for Clunkers". Received very little action for "CARS" phrases. While our import sites consistently have the most traffic month after month, the biggest upticks were with our Chrysler Jeep Dodge sites, followed by our Chevrolet sites...