• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

We're going to test them out on our new cars so customer's can peruse our mobile site when we're not open.

Once we gauge if there's any kind of response, we might undertake the task of doing all the used cars.

I really like Best Buy's execution here:

best-buy-qr.jpg

I had a very interesting conversation with Aaron Hassen , Director of Marketing at ContactatOnce!, yesterday. The conversation was mostly about how awesome I am for winning the contest and selling cars in general, which I can always make time for talks like that :) [/narcissistic sarcasm] lol

The really interesting part of our talk was about the QR codes that link a shopper directly to your chat agent on their cell phone. An ISM can respond from a computer or personal cell. I'm a month late on the release so maybe some have heard about it. Obviously this transitions chat from a strictly online tool, to a print ad tool as well. Do you think people will scan a print ad code to chat? We are closed every Sunday by law, so I'd even consider putting it on the window sticker of cars to be available to chat during off hours.

What do you all think? Will it help sell cars if implemented correctly?

Reactions: 2 people
We're also closed on Sundays and I find your idea to be quite interesting. Our salespeople already answer the chats at home as it is, on their cell phones, so basically it will be connecting the customer and the sales rep peer-to-peer just like we were open.

I see it extremely useful for people who have an immediate question, which sounds like it would happen quite often.
I may just implement this idea, sir. Thanks for the tip! I'm going to mull it over a little more and will report back with my decision. :D

The really interesting part of our talk was about the QR codes that link a shopper directly to your chat agent on their cell phone.

What do you all think? Will it help sell cars if implemented correctly?

I would say this is one of the best ideas for QR I've seen suggested. Instant engagement and gratification for the user. It's Sunday and no one is on the lot but I have a question about this car...

Have a question? Scan this QR code to initiate a live chat with a dealership representative.

Most of the ways we currently use QR's codes is what keeps it from going mainstream.

Zach - you get this up and running at your dealership and DealerRefresh would love to host an article around you and your implementation with QR to Live Chat.

Now for the Cons:
We know so little people engage with QR so your actual live chats will be small numbers (is it worth it?)
Lack of consistency could cause interruption in the service on weekends.
Lets say you DO engage someone on a Sunday and they are ready to Chat BUT no one at the dealership is (they are home eating dinner with the family) - does this do more harm than good or indifferent?
Reminder - placement of the QR and call to action will be vitally important for any percentage of engagement

Either way I love the concept!

Reactions: 1 person
Let's see here, a QR Code that launches a chat session... Hmmm... Is this because dialing a phone number and having an actual conversation is so darn cumbersome?

I'll admit it, I'm a QR naysayer, but it seems to me like the proponents all have a solution in search of a problem to solve.

Let's see here, a QR Code that launches a chat session... Hmmm... Is this because dialing a phone number and having an actual conversation is so darn cumbersome?

I'll admit it, I'm a QR naysayer, but it seems to me like the proponents all have a solution in search of a problem to solve.

Isn't that the fun of brain storming around features of a product?

If a phone call was the obvious answer then why would chat exist?

No matter, you're going to have people prefer different methods of contact. Chat - proven to be one of the preferences.

Isn't that the fun of brain storming around features of a product?

If a phone call was the obvious answer then why would chat exist?

No matter, you're going to have people prefer different methods of contact. Chat - proven to be one of the preferences.
Jeff, I agree that you should let folks contact you in every way possible and I'm a big fan of chat - on your website.

Now here's the thing; I think we can all agree that only a small number of your customers even know what a QR Code is. A smaller number will ever scan one AND only a fraction of them will want to chat. Unless you want multiple QR Codes on every car (pretty stupid), is chat the best use of the technology?

I'd rather see one QR Code linked to the car's page on your mobile website. A mobile micro-site, if you will. On that page give the customer contact options.

But from what I've seen, usage is so low that most dealers won't bother. QR Codes are a great concept, but they really aren't catching on with the public. And I don't think they ever will in the US.

But from what I've seen, usage is so low that most dealers won't bother. QR Codes are a great concept, but they really aren't catching on with the public. And I don't think they ever will in the US.

Seems like a decade ago this is what dealers were saying about websites!

The vendor product that prints window stickers for my used cars must have a QR code. We are all printing used car window stickers... right? That is, by the way what our dealerships do now... QR generated by VinSolutions which points to a details page (mobile capable). If even one person uses it... that covers the cost of the toner.

I don't think I'm a Negative Nelly... But there are some who say that Chat is quite lame too.... So a Lame QR Scheme leading to a Lame Chat Scheme? Hmmmmm....

Here's the reality: Siri sucks. But on my 1st day as a VT resident today, I said, "Siri, give me the number of a pizza delivery place" and 25 minutes later I was burning my tongue on boiling tomato sauce.

This is where we're going. Forget scanning. Too much to do in today's Speak Into The Clown's Face Culture.

Reactions: 1 person