• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

I am BEYOND frustrated with Dealer.com

In my opinion, as long as OEM's continue to move towards uniformity in their dealers websites, the ones like Art and KCar, who want to be creative in their ways will be blocked by OEM standards.

I'm not sure the uniformity is a bad thing: go to any Lexus dealer website and they will all look cleanly designed, easy to navigate, etc. We expend very little effort with our Lexus site because the manufacturer has handled all of the design, done all of the work for us.

Amen, Will! Every OEM has had their "facility" improvement projects for years -- they want every dealer to look (and act) the same -- same facias, same signs, same colors and layouts, etc. Now they're doing the same thing with the websites. Just part of the game, should you so choose to play!

Good comparison, our buildings are all styled according to the OEMs design guidelines so why not the websites?

Of course, this can come into conflict with a larger dealer group who wants to promote their own brand across all of their makes.

I'm not sure the uniformity is a bad thing...<snip>... our buildings are all styled according to the OEMs design guidelines so why not the websites?

Of course, this can come into conflict with a larger dealer group who wants to promote their own brand across all of their makes.

Uniformity = Consistent Branding Message.
Mcdonalds11.jpg

Factory Wonks LIKE consistent branding...
Consistent branding speaks to the consumers expectations (as delivered by corporate)
Consistent branding smothers individualism.
Individualism is the spirit of the Dealer base and is the Corporate wonk's headache.

From the factories point of view, if they can just figure out how to PREVENT the shopper from haggling, then they don't need no stinkin' dealers eatin up their profits and being all "individualistic".

Our biz is old school. It's hand to hand combat in the trenches and the wonks' have failed trying to crack it with a "One Price Branding Message".
Saturn ___:rip:___
Scion ___:2quiet:____

I dare you, go to McDonalds and work them for a discount, then, run 7 miles down the road and GRIND the other McDonalds for a lower price. Insane request? Not in our world! Try it with Best Buy, or an Apple. FAIL.

When is some brave bastard at the factory realize they should embrace the proud tradition and exceptional trench warfare efforts their dealers put out every day?

The Marlboro man was born because the brand was seen as feminine.
marlboro_man_ad.jpg

Factory marketing could embrace the dealers role in the enterprise AND the individualism (they so hate) and roll it up into a warm hug of the wonderfully diverse dealership base.

Where's Bob Lutz when you need him?
He'd get this in a nano second: http://www.dealerrefresh.com/dealership-product/

Just sayin'...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Do you need a hug? :)

I kid, but in all seriousness please reach out to the Dealer.com employees responding in this thread (myself included) and we will do all we can to make things right. If we knew who you are we'd have already reached out to you.

Dealer.com will never be able to offer what I need, so there's no point in even trying to work with them again. I'm in the process of building new relationships with other companies who can handle all my needs. No matter how much I reach out to Dealer.com, they'll never offer customized websites, or any more value for the things they already overcharge for. The point is, they are great for someone who doesn't know what they are doing and wants to be average. The real dealers, the one's who want to take things to the next level won't settle for subpar.. Refuse to be like everyone else, they choose to define their brand as their own, and will do everything to get that message across every platform they use. I'm just saying, not to completely trash Dealer.com, because their support is great for "regular" issues, but when you get into the custom area and want to move away from the template, they won't have the answers.

Because their support is great for "regular" issues, but when you get into the custom area and want to move away from the template, they won't have the answers.

Welcome to ALL TECH SUPPORT. The front line folks are reading a flowchart, and if they don't have a chart for your issue they probably won't be able to help you.

Tech support lines aren't staffed with highly skilled folks, because most of the people calling for support aren't highly skilled either.

Cue the Joe quote:

QUESTION: Do you know the names of the support staff? You need to know them as best you can. Then, go up the food chain! Do you know the names of the Support Supervisors? No everyone on their end is happy with their job, you must remember names of the players that care (they always know if you care AND they know otjher caring people and they take shortcuts ;-)!

I must embrace this mentality.

Dealer.com will never be able to offer what I need, so there's no point in even trying to work with them again. I'm in the process of building new relationships with other companies who can handle all my needs. No matter how much I reach out to Dealer.com, they'll never offer customized websites, or any more value for the things they already overcharge for. The point is, they are great for someone who doesn't know what they are doing and wants to be average. The real dealers, the one's who want to take things to the next level won't settle for subpar.. Refuse to be like everyone else, they choose to define their brand as their own, and will do everything to get that message across every platform they use. I'm just saying, not to completely trash Dealer.com, because their support is great for "regular" issues, but when you get into the custom area and want to move away from the template, they won't have the answers.

I applaud your passion and energy -- you must be "fresh!" And I'm pretty sure I'll be able to recognize you if we ever meet -- you'll be the one with the big bruise in the middle of your forehead from banging your head off the wall so hard and so often!

Just kidding of course -- keep up the good work!

Reactions: 1 person

You're not going to find a vendor that's going to handle this for you. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. They might make all the promises in the world, but once that contract is signed the gloves will come off. I understand what you want to do, and I think it'll be an incredible investment in your business. But you're going to have to roll your own solution and not piggy bank on someone else's. PM me and I can get you in touch with what vendors and documentation you'll need to get things rolling.

Dealer.com will never be able to offer what I need...

ahh...then why did you buy it?

Where is your responsibility in this?? Are you saying you didn't know what you needed when you bought it?

Take a minute to think of this parallel scenerio.
If your customer buys a V8 coupe from you and months later your service department can't add a 3 row with stow-n-go seating...

...is this YOUR fault?

Don't think your alone kcar, I'm on the record for my anti-reyrey rants, but we all gotta work within the limitations of the platforms that are under contract.

You had best do your homework because as the current contract expires, the ultimate responsibility of the new vendor resides with you. You need to understand that your goals are high, no one vendor will do it all and the one you pick will fall short of your needs. You will find that the one you pick will not be perfect, but has the best compromise.

Last edited:
kcar,

I smell a conflict and demand your honest reply.

EXPLAIN YOUR SIG: "Building more #1 dealerships one at a time."

I smell a Shill. Prove me wrong... NOW.

Shill: "A shill, plant or stooge is a person who helps a person or organization without disclosing that he or she has a close relationship with that person or organization. Shill typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that he or she is an independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) that he or she is secretly working for..."

It's your words:
Dealer.com will never be able to offer what I need, so there's no point in even trying to work with them again.

I'm building new relationships with other companies who can handle all my needs.

...Dealer.com, they'll never offer customized websites, or any more value for the things they already overcharge for.

The real dealers, the one's who want to take things to the next level won't settle for subpar...

Refuse to be like everyone else, they choose to define their brand as their own, and will do everything to get that message across every platform they use.

I'm just saying, not to completely trash Dealer.com, because their support is great for "regular" issues, but when you get into the custom area and want to move away from the template, they won't have the answers.

That has vendor speak written all over it.

Dear Employer of kcar,
If kcar is making these posts from your employment (all posts have IP sigs), then it will be DealerRefresh's call to make a full and public disclosure of these underhanded tactics, and, I'd imagine that the legal department at Dealer.com may be very interested in this matter as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people