• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Text Us message conversion from Website and VDP?

...We also have unique URL tracking system via car.now, which lets me know how many times the consumer based off of their IP address has gone back and visited the site.

Excellent news Derrick. One of the hallmarks of a great experience is repeat visits. Survey your BUYERS, you'll find they LOVE to come back to your site many times prior to purchase.

IMO, your leadership is spending $$$ to staff your chat. They'd love to see how your teams work influences the shoppers activity AFTER they chat. Namely, how much more likely are chat users to return (vs non chat users)? And, how much more likely are chat users going to return 2,3,4,5 times to your site (vs non chat users).

This is a complex analytics request, maybe your cars now team can help?

Here's the thing... 60% to 70% of visitors are unique... they ain't coming back so it is key to grab that contact info if you can. It's like the gorilla balloon - it looks silly but works for some stores. Quality chat can boost form leads by up to 50 percent without cannibalizing current leads.
We're beta testing text but I think it will kind of averge the same. Data will tell.
Yes popping the invite on every page is overkill and will cause cannibalization.
As for slow code, these adds need to have an asynchronous load so it pops separate from the site and doesn't slow the load speed and (worse) lower search ranking.
@TomLaPointe I don't buy all of what you're saying there. If the entire (total aggregate) interface or 3rd party application / plugin confuses the living crap out of a user (there are tons of them; I run into them daily, so do we all) during the first or introductory visit, dealers aren't going to convert very well using them.

The reality, if 3rd party plug-ins aren't tested (A/B, Multivariate and / or Split) within existing dealership website interfaces, dealers are taking risks.

Just as dealers should hold vendors accountable for the usability, numbers and quality of leads (from form submissions mechanisms, chat & video chat tools, text tools, etc.), a good idea would be for dealers to ask of their vendors (and although I hear you in reference to asynchronous JS loading), "Hey, are you testing how your code loads on my site? Are you worried about bogging down the load speed of the entire site? Show me some proof heat maps and session playbacks to show me if users are clicking your tool(s), when, where and how? Are the mechanisms placed in the correct location(s)?", etc. I just find the implementation of these tools all too generic.
The spread of JavaScript on web pages is directly linked to an explosion in the weight of web content. Today the average webpage is 13 times heavier than it was in 2002, and nearly 20% of that average page is composed of JavaScript. The language offers the ability to collect important info and provide an engaging user experience, but is too often implemented with little regard for performance cost.

As far as asynchronously loaded JavaScript (yes, clearly a better idea), but you can’t guarantee the order in which those types of files are executed. This is because they’re executed as soon as they’re loaded – not necessarily the order in which they appear on the page. This is important if any of those files depend on each other – if they do, don’t use async. I suppose it's a case by case basis and if your team is using async correctly, good on you, that's smart.

Last edited:
...The reality, if 3rd party plug-ins aren't tested (A/B, Multivariate and / or Split) within existing dealership website interfaces, dealers are taking risks.

Not to be a dick, but, testing is easy, defining what a win looks like... isn't.

No one here can define what a win looks like.
#DRChallenge

p.s. beware the trap that I am setting!!

Not to be a dick, but, testing is easy, defining what a win looks like... isn't.

No one here can define what a win looks like.
#DRChallenge

p.s. beware the trap that I am setting!!
Indeed, testing is easy, any fool can hire a 3rd party to test their interfaces and on-site / on-page components. There are all types of users and not a single demographic matches another. It's the testing of the testing that counts. Figure out what configuration(s) work best within your target area. I don't care if you borrow or steal it from another piece of usable software or contact the king of usability, Jakob Fucking Nielsen himself to do it for you.

Yes, easier said than done. It's a shit ton of work to get it right and just when you think you've nailed it a technical variable changes or the like and you're back at it again.

o_O

It's the testing of the testing that counts. Figure out what configuration(s) work best within your target area. I don't care if you borrow or steal it from another piece of usable software or contact the king of usability, Jakob Fucking Nielsen himself to do it for you.

Alexander,
I'll try to shed some light on this concept by turning it into a story.

Hypothetically, let's say we work for Ralph's Ford, Seattle's 2nd largest Ford store. You and I are in control of the marketing division. We've been giving authority to do whatever it takes to sell more cars. We have a strict budget and our paycheck is 100% commission, driven by total car sales.

You and I have deployed our ad spending, now it's time to work on our site and improve it's yield. We both want MORE SALES from the existing visitors. We both agree that improving usability 'should' produce more sales. I ask "how does testing usability produce more sales?" You reply "how can it not produce more sales?" I pause... "there it is, stupid as it sounds, we have no scientific evidence that connects 'usability and sales'" You counter "that's preposterous, improved usability has to result in happier shoppers and don't we agree that happier shoppers will eventually produce more sales?" Hmmm... "damn good counter, hard to argue that point!"

The next day, you and I get a pot of coffee and a white board and I start with an observation "In most online businesses, the shopping cart is the final judge... not usability. Usability testing's results are seen in the shopping cart. In our industry, we have no shopping cart. In fact, our car shoppers consider invisibility as a mandatory requirement... we're f**ked! there's no easy, scientific shopper score card for us!"

We stare at the blank white board, we know we're about to walk into analytics hell. You break the silence and say "If we could create an analytics model that'll help us 'score' a visitors level of engagement, and if we can map that back to a sale, THAT would be our shopping cart!" #MicDrop My jaw hits the floor... "Holy shit! that's it!"

On the top of the white board, I write....

"What does a productive shopping visit looks like?"

Reactions: skutchhenks
Alexander,
I'll try to shed some light on this concept by turning it into a story.

Hypothetically, let's say we work for Ralph's Ford, Seattle's 2nd largest Ford store. You and I are in control of the marketing division. We've been giving authority to do whatever it takes to sell more cars. We have a strict budget and our paycheck is 100% commission, driven by total car sales.

You and I have deployed our ad spending, now it's time to work on our site and improve it's yield. We both want MORE SALES from the existing visitors. We both agree that improving usability 'should' produce more sales. I ask "how does testing usability produce more sales?" You reply "how can it not produce more sales?" I pause... "there it is, stupid as it sounds, we have no scientific evidence that connects 'usability and sales'" You counter "that's preposterous, improved usability has to result in happier shoppers and don't we agree that happier shoppers will eventually produce more sales?" Hmmm... "damn good counter, hard to argue that point!"

The next day, you and I get a pot of coffee and a white board and I start with an observation "In most online businesses, the shopping cart is the final judge... not usability. Usability testing's results are seen in the shopping cart. In our industry, we have no shopping cart. In fact, our car shoppers consider invisibility as a mandatory requirement... we're f**ked! there's no easy, scientific shopper score card for us!"

We stare at the blank white board, we know we're about to walk into analytics hell. You break the silence and say "If we could create an analytics model that'll help us 'score' a visitors level of engagement, and if we can map that back to a sale, THAT would be our shopping cart!" #MicDrop My jaw hits the floor... "Holy shit! that's it!"

On the top of the white board, I write....

"What does a productive shopping visit looks like?"
I agree.

Data, it comes down to data / verifiable proof. Obviously, that depends on the budget available.

Of course there is no shopping cart, although leave it up to groups like Vroom.com, etc. and that might start to change (younger generations seem ok with it -- I don't know if that's smart in the long term, but it's gaining momentum) and if perceptions change, so will dealers (through on-site and on the lot / showroom sales strategies)

Obviously, usability / UX testing can easily be applied to lead conversions as well (which I think you're alluding to). It doesn't have to be measured through an actual commercial sale / e-commerce, but definitely can be for acquisition % based upon leads. It's about taking advantage of your traffic and converting it using a qualified sales team. I'm sure you know, scores can be applied to leads. If quality, intent based leads shoot through and a sales team is unable to convert well, that tells you a lot about your sales team.

This process has already been defined by many 3rd party groups, that's the thing. It's not about defining it internally (that's a cluster fuck of an idea -- dealers looking to cut costs in the wrong spot). It's about using qualified 3rd party groups to do it for you. Honestly, I am seeing it within website platform services, such as Dealer Inspire, etc. They are moving in that direction.

I am quite surprised there aren't more usability groups partnering with platform and / or CRM providers. What I see at Cox, etc.... buy up groups and create a seamless piece of technology for dealer groups.

Sadly, there are still loads of platforms that completely suck and do not take usability seriously. Garbage inventory systems (SRP, VDP), that barely function on all devices and browsers.

Last edited:
I agree.

Data, it comes down to data / verifiable proof. Obviously, that depends on the budget available.

Of course there is no shopping cart, although leave it up to groups like Vroom.com, etc. and that might start to change (younger generations seem ok with it -- I don't know if that's smart in the long term, but it's gaining momentum) and if perceptions change, so will dealers (through on-site and on the lot / showroom sales strategies)

Obviously, usability / UX testing can easily be applied to lead conversions as well (which I think you're alluding to). It doesn't have to be measured through an actual commercial sale / e-commerce, but definitely can be for acquisition % based upon leads. It's about taking advantage of your traffic and converting it using a qualified sales team. I'm sure you know, scores can be applied to leads. If quality, intent based leads shoot through and a sales team is unable to convert well, that tells you a lot about your sales team.

This process has already been defined by many 3rd party groups, that's the thing. It's not about defining it internally (that's a cluster fuck of an idea -- dealers looking to cut costs in the wrong spot). It's about using qualified 3rd party groups to do it for you. Honestly, I am seeing it within website platform services, such as Dealer Inspire, etc. They are moving in that direction.

I am quite surprised there aren't more usability groups partnering with platform and / or CRM providers. What I see at Cox, etc.... buy up groups and create a seamless piece of technology for dealer groups.

Sadly, there are still loads of platforms that completely suck and do not take usability seriously. Garbage inventory systems (SRP, VDP), that barely function on all devices and browsers.

Wow, I totally failed to communicate the concept, or, you totally failed to get it. It was probably me. No need to reply, we're so far apart, there is nothing interesting that'll come from this.

Wow, I totally failed to communicate the concept, or, you totally failed to get it. It was probably me. No need to reply, we're so far apart, there is nothing interesting that'll come from this.
I get what you mean, "connecting usability with sales." Does it matter? Should a dealer care? Does their physical location and sales process matter much more or even Tradition marketing based upon a certain demographic (might be old), etc.? Well, I think you can definitely prove the lack of sales from unusable systems. There's definitely something to be said about that. I say this generically as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: craigh
Alex I think what Joe is trying to say is (forgive me if I am wrong too)

Usability and sales have nothing to do with each other on dealer sites. There is absolutely zero way to conduct a transaction with real money on a dealer website. So, trying to link the 2 together outside of say google analytics is always going to be suspect. There is no way to literally see 1 for 1 here.

Since we do not conduct transactions on the site we can not say that usability effects sales in any manner. It would be like trying to attach sales data to buzzfeed.

Buzzfeed doesn't sell stuff on their site to people, i could be wrong but lets say they don't. Just like we don't sell stuff online to people either.

Hard Stop.

We sell things to people at our dealership.
We parade our products on our sites.

I'm no website police but I think Joe's got you pinned on this one bro...

We do all sorts of transactions on a website. Each can be tracked and I am a firm believer that usability is tied to better results. Are these always financial transactions? No. We can still metric so many things:
  • Lead submissions - these are absolutely affected by design and usability of the site. A more prominent green button gets more leads than a colour matched button below the fold.
  • Contact page - directions requests, map views, email link clicks, etc. Metric them all based on different UX decisions and they absolutely change
  • Vehicle search / filter / sort - when we rolled out better inventory search our VLP views went down and VDP views went up. This resulted in more cars being seen and resulted in increased page views per session
  • Page views per session - this isn't an easy one to analyze normally. More inventory views is a good thing, but more service page views might indicate that customers aren't navigating the site well. The easier I make it for customers to get to the service booking form, the more service appointments I get.
  • Financing forms - we A/B tested the hell out of short forms vs detailed forms vs DealerTrak forms. There is a huge difference.
What am I missing about this argument?
Usability of a website absolutely has an impact on sales. It may be indirect, such as better usability that results in more online visitors, or directly in the sense that customers have the ability to get far closer to committing to a sale because the usability didn't hinder them. I must be missing something if we are suggesting website usability doesn't matter.

Reactions: Alexander Lau