• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

BUSTED Spincar caught selling dealer data

I really don't understand your perspective, the implication is clear, I pay for "a click" let's say from Google Adwords for arguments sake $5.00, you the vendor get a copy of all the info derived from that click via a tracking script, at no cost. The vendor (I'm paying for services) sells my visitor data to data broker whom ultimately could sell it to my competitor via their agency for pennies $0.05 (Example) with out my knowledge.

Why don't you see a problem with this?

Aside from the argument going on, I wanted to pull this piece out. THIS is the issue at hand and this post is a nice summation for what's happening. This thread could get quite technical, but let's not lose sight of the simple issue as stated here.

We were paying for re-marketing or re-targeting, or whatever you want to call it. There was just something about the traffic they were charging me for. In my mind, I am paying them for clicks to my website. There should be absolutely zero variation between what they said I got for clicks vs what Google Analytics said I got for clicks. It never matched. There was often as much as a 40% difference. They said 500 clicks, GA said 300 clicks. Each time I brought this up, I was given a reason why this is common...and I paid my bill.
I can understand where you are coming from, but I've had a different experience with them. We've used Spincar for the past 2 years for our 360 spin and photos, and their retargeting/ re-marketing advertising for just under that. For our retargeting reporting, they have built a custom Google data studio integrated with OUR google analytics account, so everything matches up for us. We have really great shopper engagement on our website with those shoppers who have come back to the site through their retargeting ads.

Reactions: Ian Isch
I can understand where you are coming from, but I've had a different experience with them. We've used Spincar for the past 2 years for our 360 spin and photos, and their retargeting/ re-marketing advertising for just under that. For our retargeting reporting, they have built a custom Google data studio integrated with OUR google analytics account, so everything matches up for us. We have really great shopper engagement on our website with those shoppers who have come back to the site through their retargeting ads.

Josh, I am happy that you are having a good experience with them. They built the same Data Studio for us, and it just didn't match up with my Google Analytics.

It is not SpinCars retargeting, it is being resold, Criteo is the provider. Any dealer can sign up fro Criteo and not pay a middleman if they so chose. Further Criteo's retargeting is no different than any "broad retargeting" company. There are much more refined and concise solutions out there.

FYI Jeffrey Tognetti has been educating dealers about data theft for years now and I think the vast majority of dealers have no idea this is happening and or don't care or know what to do about it. Per Jeffery, after listening to him at NJ Digital Dealer 3 or 4 years ago we installed a chrome extension called Ghostley and were amazed at how many third-party codes were hanging out in our Groups websites.

Another good best practice is to remove all Google Tag Manager (GTM) scripts from your site, including with web providers. Tags like the Criteo through SpinCar can be re-added or hidden otherwise, without any interaction from web provider or the dealership.

I also recommend dealers send a legally binding policy to all vendors around scripts/data/tracking. Pretty much any IP attorney can draft it with a couple hours work, and it'll keep the increasingly complex world of tracking data simple for those that can't afford a dedicated digital marketing expert in-house.

This post isn't solely about SpinCars. It is a common theme among select providers. It should be noted we met SpinCars years ago through a intermediary named Dario Dulic and discussed leveraging the data they were collecting on a fully disclosed basis. We couldn't agree and it never went anywhere. As time went on we had numerous run-ins with SpinCar trying to install scripts on our clients websites. When they were questioned about the purpose of their scripts and what disclosures (if any) they would provide, communication went silent. Our clients went on and asked again; "What data are you collecting and what is SpinCar doing with it". To which SpinCar continued with their radio silence, never replied and quickly withdrew their script placement request. Here is an outline of what every dealer should ask any third party installing a script on their website as was asked of SpinCar just a few months back:

Last edited: