• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

BUSTED Spincar caught selling dealer data

Alexander Lau

Sr. Refresher
Feb 11, 2015
First Name
Alex
Partners and resellers likely have no idea.
Their retargeting product offering was added years after most of their reseller agreements were signed.
That might be true, but they have to stay afloat as well. Double check their agreements or update them (scan for this stuff). They easily could be held liable in that chain if a dealer were to sue.

georgenenni

Refresher
Apr 13, 2012
First Name
George
Reactions: Alexander Lau

craigh

Super Moderator
May 19, 2011
First Name
Craig
That might be true, but they have to stay afloat as well. Double check their agreements or update them (scan for this stuff). They easily could be held liable in that chain if a dealer were to sue.
Possibly.
I can confirm that at least some resellers sell the spin product without selling the retargeting and therefore have no agreements pertaining to that.
So the question is whether that's in all of SpinCar or just for SpinCar clients that use the advanced marketing tools/providers.

Reactions: Alexander Lau

craigh

Super Moderator
May 19, 2011
First Name
Craig
I would love to see a sample link where this is happening.
I haven't been able to connect A and B yet on my end.

Jeffrey Tognetti

Getting Refreshed
Nov 15, 2011
First Name
Jeff

craigh

Super Moderator
May 19, 2011
First Name
Craig
That part makes sense to me.
But that is also firing on other sites that aren't using this vendor (as discussed with Joe on LinkedIN as well).
I'm missing the piece where that snippet is part of the SpinCar snippet.

Was that the only vendor with a snippet on the VDP?
After reading the whole discussion, I'm just not 100% yet, especially when this tag appears to be left behind from numerous vendors, even after being removed from the site in some cases.

Reactions: TeddyJTurner

Jeffrey Tognetti

Getting Refreshed
Nov 15, 2011
First Name
Jeff
The tag was asked to be installed by SpinCar. Do you want the email where they ask to install the tag? Further the websites where they were installed were in dev, never out in the web as of yet. Let me know and I’d be happy to post the “request” to place the script